You are not logged in.

#1 21-03-14 13:56:46

Tommy1

Help wanted in two categories.

I know it's great to be busy, and I am grateful I am, and I have been for seven years, even in the lean times.
I do automatic manual and disability training.
Maybe this is why it's busy.
I do need help by another ADI, but
Which way do I go?
There is a decline in newly trained instructors, and certainly ones in training.
How do you actually let go of the reins and let another instructor into your business, when the customers actually ask for you by name.
I have looked at this a long time, I did start an instructor, and no one liked this person, and it scored my business a little, not wanting to tar everyone with the same brush.
If I did have another ADI I know I can keep them busy, but at the start it would certainly be slow, until the reputation built.
Also moving to another area, if there are no wanting instructors in my area, this can be costly to them, and I suppose a huge gamble.
Anyone with any tips would be a great help guys.
Thank you.

Last edited by Tommy1 (21-03-14 14:00:30)

21-03-14 13:56:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help wanted in two categories.

#2 21-03-14 14:25:20

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Depends if you are willing to gamble your own reputation on another instructor, especially a trainee, for the sake of a few extra quid.  One who would most likely allow you to build up their diary, then leave you and set up as a competitor.

Much better to have some agreement with colleagues that you could 'recommend' them to potential customers for a small referal fee.

#3 21-03-14 14:47:09

Tommy1

Road master.
Yes I have been doing that on a regular basis, the problem I see there, is, if you send one away that could be a good customer with future friends and family.
I suppose it's a greed factor, but I really feel I need to push out wards, but what you said is so true.
And this is were I am suffering.

#4 21-03-14 14:55:34

Roadmaster
Verified Member

It wouldn't be a good customer anyway if you let another instructor or pdi who is working for you take them on, and then take them away when they started up themselves.  All their friends and family would then go with the other ADI.

#5 21-03-14 15:56:07

sofasurfer
Verified Member

If you are very busy put your prices up ! You will not have as many customers but you will earn more :-)

#6 21-03-14 19:57:08

Tommy1

Well guys thank you for the replies, I guess the prices go up ugh.
In this area we have 5 lessons for £25. Who are these fools.
I have an automatic and was the first auto in the area, the second they saw my auto on the road a few days a week three more appeared, under cutting etc, stating on the web sites cheapest in the area etc.
But small or no effect on me so far.
A lot of the trade comes from Mr £25 per hour, I guess that speaks volumes.
And sofa your right, price increase slow the traffic down to a steady, but lucrative crawl.
Why didn't I think of that I am quite clever, but some times I fail to be lol

#7 22-03-14 16:38:10

MAZ
Verified Member

I agree with sofasurfer, increase prices, putting a newbie instructor in an auto will rarely work, they won't last 5 minutes. There is an unusual massive demand on auto at the moment due to many international drivers trying to beat the 7th April cessation of foreign language translated tests deadline.

Maz.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 23-03-14 10:50:51

Evan
Administrator

Tommy1 wrote:

Well guys thank you for the replies, I guess the prices go up ugh.
In this area we have 5 lessons for £25. Who are these fools.
I have an automatic and was the first auto in the area, the second they saw my auto on the road a few days a week three more appeared, under cutting etc, stating on the web sites cheapest in the area etc.
But small or no effect on me so far.
A lot of the trade comes from Mr £25 per hour, I guess that speaks volumes.
And sofa your right, price increase slow the traffic down to a steady, but lucrative crawl.
Why didn't I think of that I am quite clever, but some times I fail to be lol

If you are busy don't worry what others are charging. Once you sell or give a prospective pupil away it is almost certain that any future referrals will go to that instructor (if of course the pupil is happy). Like it or not if we are busy we either ask pupils to wait for a slot or they go somewhere else, we can't teach everyone. I have been lucky with the instructors that work in my school, one has been with me 8 years one 6 years and one 4 years, but you have to be careful I have had two in the school who because of their unreliability necessitated me phoning pupils to apologise which is embarrassing.

#9 26-03-14 19:58:10

Tommy1

Thanks Evan
So fortunate these days to get reliable people, that stay, and do not double back on you.
I will push on and see how it goes, but summer can be manic
I will raise the price, after all the good advice.
It is just a real shame that there is a great opportunity ( I wish I had when I started) but you just cannot trust they will fill their diary and do one.
Thanks ever so much learned people of the green badge brigade.

Board footer