You are not logged in.

#1 13-03-14 07:04:56

Triplea35
Verified Member

Upgrading from Auto to Manual.

Just about to start my first pupil doing this.
Passed auto 3 years ago and has driven constantly since, but went auto as was a very nervous, slow pupil and apparently took the best part of two years and a number of attempts.

My first thought is to have an assessment drive in her (or mine) auto and to see what is needed to get her back up to test standard without the distraction of manual. But if some areas for improvement are identified, would it perhaps be better to get them sorted in the auto where she will be more comfortable, even for a few lessons if need be, before transferring to the manual?

Just pondering really, probably 'play it by ear'  but just wondering how others have approached this?

Last edited by Triplea35 (13-03-14 07:14:28)

13-03-14 07:04:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Upgrading from Auto to Manual.

#2 13-03-14 07:27:35

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Personally,if I was changing,I would want to get straight on with what I wanted,not keep doing auto!
Just my view.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 13-03-14 07:39:42

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I'm with Peter.

Why wate a lesson in the auto.

They can drive all they need to do is work out gears and clutch. Most I have done have cracked it in less than an hour.

Get them in the manual ASAP.

Don't treat them like a learner, restrict yourself to teaching gears and clutch, then sorting out any major test/ safety issues.

#4 13-03-14 07:44:36

Evan
Administrator

I would spend time getting them used to the gears to start with, that is where the need is so deal with that first. With regards getting her to test standard, it may well be her driving is good already, I find a lot of the more nervous drivers tend to hang onto the routines they are taught and are quite methodical in how they drive.

#5 13-03-14 08:25:00

johnp
Verified Member

Agree with the above.
I had one very similar pass last week.

It does not take long as the difficult parts have been accomplished.
Get driving and they pick it up.
Not much "teaching" required once they know the basics.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#6 13-03-14 08:58:07

(ROG)
Verified Member

If they have B auto I would have suggested they go for B+E manual

One LGV trainee I am recently aware of has B auto and in now going for C manual

Last edited by (ROG) (13-03-14 08:59:00)

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#7 30-08-14 06:42:50

Triplea35
Verified Member

Just thought I'd update this post.
Pleased to report that this young lady passed yesterday. 3rd attempt and over 40 hours of lessons!!
She does have special needs issues including dyspraxia and dyscalculi, not to mention Anxiety, so was clearly not an easy transition.
Even the examiner, who conducted all 3 tests, questioned why she was putting herself through it, but it was certainly a personal challenge, where she was determined, despite her issues, to be able drive like her friends.
I did put her in manual straight away but in hindsight, especially in cases like this, I think I would consider having an assessment in the auto first next time. The use of gears had a massive effect on every element of her driving, which was not particularly good to start with.
But hey, she passed, is a better driver now for the experience and I have never seen anyone so delighted in having passed a driving test!

Last edited by Triplea35 (30-08-14 06:43:31)

#8 30-08-14 07:08:25

johnp
Verified Member

Well done . Pleased to hear of her success.

Most find the transition easy. Some struggle immensely.
The extra timing just confuses and for someone who is slow in the first place,
it just is an added problem getting everything into place.

Last edited by johnp (30-08-14 07:09:03)

Driving is books-

#9 31-08-14 09:12:28

russchaplin2410
Verified Member
Website

I  always downplay the difficulty of clutch and gears. If a pupil thinks it's going to be hard then it will be. A quiet road and then a few hill starts allowing the car to roll backwards and then catching it on the bite seems to do the trick.

I'm Russ Chaplin. I teach driving in the Nottingham area. I am also a driving instructor trainer. visit me at driving lessons Nottingham

#10 31-08-14 12:37:38

johnp
Verified Member

Very rarely is there any problem with gears.

It is a problem with gears when thinking about roundabouts and other junctions.
That is why some ADIs teach to Stop at all junctions and then to start again.

Driving is books-

#11 01-09-14 07:27:19

AUTAX
Verified Member

What annoys me are apps that downplay automatic cars and make the reader feel stigmatised by comparing them to elderly or disabled people.
They're inaccuracies in stating that Automatics guzzle fuel and are more expensive to buy and run.
Stating the obvious about only being licensed to drive an automatic when the test is passed.
Can't block change.??? Yes you can but why would you want to?

These were written by a non ADI working for a company that is marketing an app. They are not the only one. Another company who seeks
to find pupils for ADIs writes in a similar vein. Makes my blood boil.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#12 01-09-14 14:13:25

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Not going to change until the powers that be,realise that having separate tests for auto and manual is pointless in the modern world.

Turn the focus to the decision making of the driver not the movement of the left foot.

Board footer