You are not logged in.

#1 21-01-14 17:36:16

TommyK

Beginning Driver instructor training...

Hello,

I'm thinking about changing career to become a driving instructor.  I'm finding that there are so many questions and things to be considered and just looking for a little help!
Firstly - who do I train with?  Is there a 'best' route here? I've spoken to Red, Blink and BSM and have heard good and bad things about learning with a company such as this/continuing to work with them, but none from current employees.  Any experiences or advice here? Can I obtain adi status 'independently'? If so, how do I find an instructor?
Secondly - how much can I realistically expect to earn in my first year of instructing?  With costs of running/maintaining the car or franchise costs, is it worth it?

I'd appreciate hearing experiences from any current driving instructors - changing career is a big step without shelling out lots of money to start up put on top!

Thanks in advance...

21-01-14 17:36:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Beginning Driver instructor training...

#2 21-01-14 18:04:12

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Hi Tommy,

I'm not the best example but...

I didn't earn anything in the first year.  I started off completely as an independent having trained with Red. 

Was it worth it?  Absolutely.  I love instructing.  Am I rich?  No.  Will I ever be?  No.  After 4 years I am just about at the point where I have a full diary and make enough to live...

Others will have had better experiences...

Last edited by Lady-Hynarc (21-01-14 18:04:48)

#3 21-01-14 20:13:27

sofasurfer
Verified Member

Tommy,

If you have a mortgage and dependents, find another way of paying the bills. If you have substantial savings (10k +) and don't need much of an income, you might enjoy being an instructor. Most of the people who slag off the big companies, BSM, AA etc. trained with those companies then left. A lot of people use BSM/AA to train and stay with them, they can't be that bad ! An independent instructor won't give you a job when you are qualified.

Good luck.

#4 21-01-14 22:15:22

AUTAX
Verified Member

I trained with BSM and when you qualify they "encourage" you to leave to make way for the next PDI with 3,500 GBP.

I guess the AA don't offer all of their trainees positions once they've passed either.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 21-01-14 22:27:28

martin Williams
Verified Member

AUTAX wrote:

I trained with BSM and when you qualify they "encourage" you to leave to make way for the next PDI with 3,500 GBP.

I guess the AA don't offer all of their trainees positions once they've passed either.

Do you mean they ''encourage'' you to leave by not providing you with many pupils?

#6 21-01-14 23:08:16

Evan
Administrator

Out of interest Tommy what job are you doing now? Are there any skills you use in your present job that you can use as a driving instructor?

Do you have good interpersonal skills?
Are you comfortable working one to one with people?
How do you feel about working early in the morning and quite late into the evening?
If you have a wife/partner and children be prepared to see less of them, if you have small children they are liable to be in bed long before you get home from work!
You will find that your diary and your phone will take up a lot of your time!

It may seem strange that I have answered your questions with a list of questions, but believe me they are questions you need to ask yourself.

Do I enjoy the job? Yes I love it, just as much as I did 10 years ago.
Do I earn a good living? It's ok but I work long hours, so enjoying the job is a bonus.
Would I do it all over again? Definitely but I would do things a little differently.

Would I give up a full time job to come into this? No, I would do it gradually, build up my business and experience.
One other point it could take between 3 to 5 years to get established and actually get everything running smoothly.

If I was in your situation, I would do lots of local research, try and find out who the busy instructors locally are, a bit of time spent in the local test centre is worth doing, see if you can chat to a couple of ADI's, you will get some people very positive about the job, others who just moan about it, just the same as you do in all jobs.

Are you self motivated? You will need every bit of enthusiasm to generate pupils, and keep yourself going when the going gets tough.

Others will give their opinion but that is just a few of my thoughts!

Take time and ponder your decisions!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 22-01-14 05:49:24

AUTAX
Verified Member

martin Williams wrote:
AUTAX wrote:

Do you mean they ''encourage'' you to leave by not providing you with many pupils?

That's correct Martin. This was in 2002. Now of course BSM cars a very rarely seen on the roads. I think there  are two manual and one automatic in this area. I can't remember when I last saw one in Salisbury.

#8 22-01-14 05:52:14

AUTAX
Verified Member

Good post Evan.

May I also add that if you follow this forum regularly then it could take up to an extra hour of your time during the day. Look at the length of Evan's post.  smile

#9 22-01-14 09:30:32

DonT
Verified Member

Read this and make a decision:

http://www.squidoo.com/driving_instructors

#10 04-03-16 11:59:57

Hi i am thinking of becoming a driving instructor and have been researching some companies to do my training with. Im considering AA and sure pass. Has anyone ever used these and would you recommend them? Would you reccommend taking out a franchise or going on your own to start? I live in Fort William, Highlands, Scotland

Board footer