You are not logged in.

#1 25-07-05 20:40:20

Rog
Website

Part 3 - Is it ever going to sink in????????

I know this subject has been on the forum a number of times before, but it's different when it's happening to you (i.e. me)!

I'm 18.5 hours into my part 3 training now and getting more then a little frustrated that it's not all sinking in fast enough. I spend quite some time preparing for each lesson and hence give a good introduction and a very reasonable brief. However, everything else is taking its time to fit into place. It's like I put the penny in the slot, but the machine must have a hole in the bottom, as the pennies are taking a long time to fall!!

Had my first attempt at PST5 today. My introduction was good, so were my briefs apart from a bit too much Q&A on the mirrors, missed out DOSS on the brief and the hand signal (it went so well whilst practising  :oops: ).

Had 4 attempts at the ES before my 'student' got the right balance, which I guess is about right. I asked at the end of the lesson how I would have scored on the test and was told about a 3, which I guess isn't too bad for a first attempt.

It still all feels so alien though and with the stats showing that only 24% of PDI's pass after '3' attempts, I'm wondering if the 60 hours practical tuition I've got booked prior to the 27th of Sept is enough and if I've got what it takes? Were the 84% of PDI's that failed to make the grade like me, or were they poorly trained and/or lacked the many of the elements required?

Sorry for moping in self-pity, but these are very uncertain times!!

All advise comments welcome!

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

25-07-05 20:40:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 - Is it ever going to sink in????????

#2 25-07-05 21:47:30

pk1

Its takes months to fully sink in and then every month more you feel you have raised your game from what you thought was good - so be pacient and you will succeed smile  big_smile  lol

#3 26-07-05 09:24:51

Rookie
Website

Yes Rog
It is hard.  As i keep saying, Your pups pass test from scratch if u are on Pink and u get loads of pups wanting to learn wi u but the P3 is very complex and seems like u have to include or not include everything. If that make sense? I may be called good at my job via pass rates BUT not really, as i have not passed P3 an having bit of bother wi my mocks! I guess i am good at passing pups but not good at my job.

I am already planning to become a Plumber. I think the TIC, Schools need to make u aware of P3 b4 we embark on this large sum of money loss!  lol  lol  lol

Plumbing franchises are also dear! anyone know about plumbing training route?

"Look at the whole picture before you judge". "Judge oneself before you judge the Judger"..... The Rookster.Nov 05

#4 26-07-05 12:04:42

Rauxaman

Hi Rog-

Just looked back through my diary and it was at around the 25hr mark when things started to fit into place for me and I felt like I was really progressing.

Taking some existing learners out for free lessons helped me enormously in just settling into the cockpit routine, my wife gave me a lift to get my car from service yesterday and without thinking I sat skewed in the passenger seat so that I could keep an eye on her hands and feet and my right foot was near an imaginary brake!

Keep at it, you are doing it right... fully prepare your briefings for every lesson and just do your best!

If you like I could send you my PST 5 briefing notes via email, I have put together a full set on laminated cards... side one is phase 1 and side two is phase two so I only have to pull the relevant card and use each side in turn.

#5 26-07-05 12:04:55

PLYMOUTH77

Hi there, i passed my Part 3 on my second attempt yesterday. What i found is for every hour i had of tution, i probably spent about another 4 at home going over what we had learnt. My point is probably for the first 75% of training it was all a bit unclear of how it should look, but believe me you get to a point when everything seems to fall into place. You said you scored a "3" on your first practice attempt, you should be pleased with that. Think what you will be doing after more time. Keep your chin up and have confidence in yourself.

#6 26-07-05 13:53:35

Kaz

Hi Rog, Don't worry yourself. I have had about 25hrs tuition and it does take time to sink in. I also get practice teaching my cousin to drive which really helps. I had my first attempt at part3 last week and i got a 3 3 cos i lost my nerve, but i really feel i did know what was needed to pass i just let the situation get the better of me. Hoping that next time i will handle the "pupil" better. Don't be put off at this stage, keep going!!

Kaz

#7 26-07-05 14:00:25

Kaz

Hi Rog, Don't worry yourself. I have had about 25hrs tuition and it does take time to sink in. I also get practice teaching my cousin to drive which really helps. I had my first attempt at part3 last week and i got a 3 3 cos i lost my nerve, but i really feel i did know what was needed to pass i just let the situation get the better of me. Hoping that next time i will handle the "pupil" better. Don't be put off at this stage, keep going!!

Kaz

#8 26-07-05 17:09:16

Trumper
Verified Member

Hi Rog

PST 5 If I had a choice then this would be the one to have. Think about it.
Get pupil to do cockpit drill after you have set out Aims/Obj and done a recap.
He will have a problem with setting mirrors. Then recap mirror use by Q & A. Prompt on drive to location. Look at pupil.
On the E.Stop. just watch the feet. What's he going to do. Probably clutch/brake. Not enough/too much pressure. Make sure he looks all around before pull away. Debrief either by the side of road or on the move.

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#9 26-07-05 20:30:08

Rauxaman

On the E.Stop. just watch the feet

Pupil might look in mirror or pull handbrake on. Also known to brake with two feet.
Remember to physically look to the rear before giving the STOP command.

How did phase two go?

#10 27-07-05 17:50:26

Rog
Website

Thanks everyone for your support  yikes . I feel a lot better now, especially after mentioning my concerns to my trainer and being told I'm DEFFINATELY NOT one of the 84%. He knows who they are almost instantly. He then went on to praise all the work I've put in and that I will DEFFINATELY PASS without a doubt.

I'm going to see if I can up the hours I spend with my training partner to make the most of the practice.

Regards
Rog

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

#11 29-07-05 14:49:34

Rog
Website

Had my best lesson yet this morning, aprroaching junctions.... (starting from scratch with the new trainer). It's all starting to fit together now, my talk through and promting were both good. In fact my trainer said I was bordering on a 4!

I just need to make the most of my time, as my instructor is very good, but will happily sit and chat.

Rog

#12 09-08-05 00:27:47

T

I can only echo what has already been said. I found that is was almost into my last hours of training that it all sank in. When it did sink in i began to feel good about my chances especially before a lesson only to leave the lesson wondering if i had what it took to succeed. You will get there just try to ride the waves and keep telling yourself that you wouldn't be here if you thought you couldn't do it.

#13 09-08-05 08:37:43

Rog
Website

Thanks T.

Board footer