Re: What a quiet place

sssshhhhhh......

#3 14-01-14 19:44:52

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Troublemakers cause controversy and controversy causes interest.
I would imagine that new members were quite often intimidated away by the tone of some responses to perfectly reasonable, if naive,questions!
Making people feel inadequate rarely helps them.
There were clearly some people on here whose only reason for posting was their own ego.
I am sure the forum will get busier in time if the egotistic trolls are kept away.
I dont want to see controversial posters banned and personally have never reported any member to the mods;I am quite happy to take on those who I feel are bullying myself or others.
I also have my own method of avoiding trouble,answer the original post and if I feel that they are trying to wind me up,I choose to NOT reply further.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#4 14-01-14 20:31:30

sofasurfer
Verified Member

I was wondering why it is so quiet on here. Given the number of instructors in the country, it should be humming. Is there a more popular forum ?

I don't like controversy. People who break the rules should be banned. My yardstick is "Don't write anything you wouldn't say".

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 14-01-14 20:32:12

Laurence Jacquemin ADI
Verified Member
Website

Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi
I would imagine that new members were quite often intimidated away by the tone of some responses to perfectly reasonable, if naive,questions!
There were clearly some people on here whose only reason for posting was their own ego.
I am sure the forum will get busier in time if the egotistic trolls are kept away.
I dont want to see controversial posters banned and personally have never reported any member to the mods;I am quite happy to take on those who I feel are bullying myself or others.
I also have my own method of avoiding trouble,answer the original post and if I feel that they are trying to wind me up,I choose to NOT reply further.
Peter

Yep agree with you Peter, I also find that on lots of these forums if someone write somethings that another member does not agree with then the other member will make this VERY clear, basically because they don't agree then what everyone else is saying is rubbish. Like you say often due to a massive ego!

#6 15-01-14 07:49:30

VandADI
Administrator

I see that that the majority of arguments debates have moved over to facebook driving instructor groups, I bet the moderators have a full time job there  lol
With this in mind, it looks like forums like this one, days are numbered as with most things out with the old, in with the  new.

On a more serious note though, I do apologise for not being around recently, it's funny how priorities change when a family tragedy strikes.  sad
Really puts things into perspective how precious life is, especially for a 23 year old.

#7 15-01-14 08:22:41

Evan
Administrator

You are right there Vanda personal tragedy puts the silly arguments into perspective x

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 15-01-14 08:36:02

favershamdesigns
Website

Laurence Jacquemin ADI wrote:
Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi
Peter

Yep agree with you Peter, I also find that on lots of these forums if someone write somethings that another member does not agree with then the other member will make this VERY clear, basically because they don't agree then what everyone else is saying is rubbish. Like you say often due to a massive ego!

I have to agree with Peter as well. Unfortunately this often happens in forums and although the original purpose of many forums is to support people, a few comments from forum 'regulars' often puts people off  sad

Sometimes introducing a 'karma' system can help dissuade some negative members from posting similar comments in the future.

Last edited by favershamdesigns (15-01-14 08:36:43)

Faversham Designs
Lease your small business web site with full search engine optimisation for just 10 per month

www.favershamdesigns.co.uk

#9 15-01-14 08:42:02

VandADI
Administrator

favershamdesigns wrote:

Hi

Sometimes introducing a 'karma' system can help dissuade some negative members from posting similar comments in the future.

This has been tried in the past but it just got abused, leaving members bickering about why they had been left negative karma so it was withdrawn.

#10 15-01-14 11:11:52

AUTAX
Verified Member

I don't think the days of this Forum are numbered. Quiet is good. The times I've called home for a quick tea and "just checked" the forum just as WWIII breaks out and then realise the 10 minute break has lasted nearly 20 minutes. No, quiet is good. Just look at others where arguments break out regularly because one person thinks he knows better than others then it's a case of ganging up on two sides. The fence sitters then go quiet or leave.

DTT is OK. Just don't rock the boat. Discussions start as and when necessary.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#11 15-01-14 12:59:24

Roadmaster
Verified Member

VandADI wrote:
favershamdesigns wrote:

Hi

This has been tried in the past but it just got abused, leaving members bickering about why they had been left negative karma so it was withdrawn.

We don't need an idiotic scoring system, this is a grown up forum for sensible people.

#12 15-01-14 13:03:53

favershamdesigns
Website

Roadmaster wrote:

We don't need an idiotic scoring system, this is a grown up forum for sensible people.

Possibly the sort of comments people were referring to?  big_smile

Faversham Designs
Lease your small business web site with full search engine optimisation for just 10 per month

#13 15-01-14 13:54:31

Evan
Administrator

The quiet proves that some were posting just to antagonise, which takes a thread in a direction that is of no use to anyone!

#14 15-01-14 14:23:52

AUTAX
Verified Member

Roadmaster is a well respected member of this forum and has had his fair share of dealing with trolls.

I fully endorse his sentiments.

#15 15-01-14 15:06:56

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

"As empty vessels make the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest blabbers"

wink

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#16 15-01-14 16:53:47

Roadmaster
Verified Member

AUTAX wrote:

Roadmaster is a well respected member of this forum and has had his fair share of dealing with trolls.

I fully endorse his sentiments.

Bottle of whisky on it's way autax  lol

There's another forum which is dominated by a triangle of posters, all of which have positive karma and always agree with each other, whilst other posters making good valid posts are blessed with negative karma. 
Pointless & petty, and must have an effect on others wanting to post but are put off about being  smitten.

#17 15-01-14 18:58:37

MGM
Verified Member

I agree totally with Autax and Roadmaster.

And mine's Glenmorangie wink .

#18 15-01-14 20:21:07

AUTAX
Verified Member

Oh well if we are pushing the boat out Laphroaig or Aardvark please.  smile

#19 15-01-14 21:40:13

DonT
Verified Member

Cor, here's you lot with a different bottle of whisky each and the other 'lot' across the other side with one (empty?) glass and four straws.

Mine's a bottle of Dalwhinnie. No straws required.

#20 15-01-14 22:15:58

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

favershamdesigns wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

I agree with Roadmaster and think his comment here is very valid - scoring only intensifies ill will and tends to support a "me against you" stance from some forum users.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#21 15-01-14 22:17:17

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Zipper wrote:
favershamdesigns wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

I agree with Roadmaster and think his comment here is very valid - scoring only intensifies ill will and tends to support a "me against you" stance from some forum users.

BTW the forum has suddenly picked up again! Is this thread responsible?

Last edited by Zipper (15-01-14 22:18:27)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#22 16-01-14 08:29:52

Evan
Administrator

wink

#23 16-01-14 16:21:16

favershamdesigns
Website

big_smile

Faversham Designs

#24 16-01-14 19:09:06

MAZ
Verified Member

It's a busy time of the year, lots of new resolution pupils, also 31st January deadline for online tax returns looms.

Maz.

Last edited by MAZ (16-01-14 19:09:47)

Board footer