You are not logged in.

#1 05-04-04 16:17:21

jonks

Mock Practical tests

Do you set up Mock practical test for your students?

If so, do you do them yourself?

Or - Do you have another instructor within your driving school do your Mock tests for you?

Or - Do you have and arrangement with another local school for doing Mock tests?

How do you think your mock test compares to the real test?

05-04-04 16:17:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mock Practical tests

#2 05-04-04 17:09:55

Kev
Verified Member
Website

I do mock tests, I do them myself starting near the test centre,this normally picks out the weak areas if any. At the end of the test the pupil passes I Give them an application form . If not we will work on improving their standard.             
I also use mock tests if I have someone bugging me to be put in for their test who isn't ready . smile

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 05-04-04 17:50:09

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

We try to run mock tests using other instructors wherever possible. I did one today, the guy drove ever so well, but I was still able to point out a probable failure point. Which he and his instructor now know they have to work on.

Over the last dozen years or so I've probably only passed half a dozen pupils. But most go on to do much better in the real test.

Those that don't have a mock test, don't seem to do nearly as well. The DSA say mock tests are not a good way to teach, i agree! but it is excellent preperation.

Regards,

#4 05-04-04 17:55:15

jonks

I would have thought that a mock test with an instructor other than your own would be an excellent way to deal with nerves. You would get used to driving with a stranger under test(ish) conditions.

#5 05-04-04 18:22:07

Liesa

Just the mere mention of the word test, can send some of them into panick overdrive.

I find that conducting a mock test, actually gives them a better idea of what to expect on the day.

I normally conduct them myself, but occasionally make arrangements with Kev, to conduct a test for one another!

#6 05-04-04 18:25:36

Badger

I do a mock test on every course I run three lessons before the DSA date.

The mock is done simulating as near as possible the real thing in terms of examiner behaviour, documentation, route,  timings and assessment.

If anything untoward crops up during the Mock there is plenty of time to iron it out before the day and the candidate has a good idea of what to expect on the test itself.

I would not be able to do what Kev does here in my area because the waiting list is so long and I do not believe in doing Mocks too early because they can be demoralising.

The DSA says that mocks are a bad way of teaching do they? Well what would they know? Who do they teach anything to?

As far as I am concerned Mock Tests are confirmation of learning both for the pupil and me.

!!!!!!!! DSA - give me a break !

Badger

#7 05-04-04 19:18:55

adi
Verified Member
Website

I try to do as many as i can. The first one i do with a pupil is referred to as a 'driving assessment' rather than a mock test. The point being to try and prepare a pupil for what will be expected from them on test and also to see what the candidate is capable of totally unassisted (unless something bad is developing!). Once we have spent a couple of lessons ironing out the main faults we do another. As we go on the faults get less and less and it can give a guide/forecast as to when the candidate will be ready to cope with the test competently.

#8 06-04-04 13:05:40

Michaela7
Website

Hi,

I always conduct mock tests with my puplils it gives them an appreciation of what it will be like on the real test and what is expected of them. It also helps me to asses their ability and highlights any problem areas to be worked on before the real test. I sometimes us another Instructor who I have a reciprocal arrangment with for conducting mokc tests but on the whole I do them myself.

I agree that mock tests alone are not a good way to teach but as a form of assesment and preparation they are a very good tool, especially for the more nervous pupils!

Friendly, female Instructor! smile

Arrow School of Motoring

Car+small+picture.jpg

#9 06-04-04 17:40:01

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I think they are a important part of the learning.

The first one i do, The second is with another instructor. Starting from the test centre for about 40 Min's.

And i make the mock is tougher to pass than the real thing !

Board footer