You are not logged in.

#1 09-12-13 16:03:28

JamesAllison

Issues with swapping from accelerator to brake.

Hi there everybody. Hoping I can get a little bit of help.

Ever since I was born, I've had a slight deformation with my right foot where it turns outwards at the ankle. My knee is forward but my right foot sticks out at about a 45 degree angle. This makes it impossible for me to switch between the brake and accelerator pedals without actually lifting and moving my foot off the pedal. My left foot is fine.

Basically, my last instructor made a MASSIVE deal out of this even though it didn't cause too much of an issue... This was when I was 17. He was a horrid instructor anyway and I ended up stopping the lessons because he used to shout at me and belittle me so often (and I heard the driving school fired him for this reason as he did the same with other pupils). Anyway, I'm 23 now and I NEED to start driving again.

I'm not disabled. My doctor doesn't think it's that much of an issue either and it doesn't and has never affected my everyday life at all. It's not even an inconvenience to me.

Did my instructor make a big deal out of nothing?
When it comes to the test, would the person conducting the test have an issue with it?

I don't know if a picture or video might be helpful (if I was to show you what I mean in my Mums car).

James smile

09-12-13 16:03:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Issues with swapping from accelerator to brake.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 09-12-13 16:25:12

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

Hi James,

If your only problem is that you have to lift your foot and not pivot between the pedals then it is not a problem, as long as you can control the car safely without sudden breaking.  I sometimes have pupils with small feet who have to lift their foot between the pedals and never been an issue.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with your last instructor but as with every profession there are good and bad but if you don't like the next instructor don't hesitate to change, there are plenty of good ones around so you don't need to put up with sub standard tuition.

Last edited by CantThinkofaName (09-12-13 16:32:21)

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#3 09-12-13 16:30:16

Laurence Jacquemin ADI
Verified Member
Website

Check out this page of the Gov.uk website, should answer all your questions. https://www.gov.uk/practical-driving-te … cial-needs

Based on your info about your previous instructor I would agree that he is making a big deal about it, also does not sound like a nice guy if he is shouting. I personally thing that choosing a driving instructor that you get on with and who suits your individually learning style is very important, which is why I would always have a good chat to any potential instructor before starting to lessons and see if rapport is built and also just start off with an introductory lessons so you do not need to commit to too many lessons and then find the instructor is horrible.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 09-12-13 16:52:33

JamesAllison

CantThinkofaName wrote:

Hi James,

If your only problem is that you have to lift your foot and not pivot between the pedals then it is not a problem, as long as you can control the car safely without sudden breaking.  I sometimes have pupils with small feet who have to lift their foot between the pedals and never been an issue.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with your last instructor but as with every profession there are good and bad but if you don't like the next instructor don't hesitate to change, there are plenty of good ones around so you don't need to put up with sub standard tuition.

That's the only "problem", yes. I've become a lot more confident since I was 17 anyway... I wasn't going through a great time of my life either so that didn't help so paying somebody who was yelling at me wasn't doing it for me tongue. Plus, it was my father who tried to push me into driving when I wasn't even bothered and ALL the money I was earning was going on driving.

So, when I chose my next instructor, I'll make sure I go with one that is decent. I'm looking to start driving again after Christmas. smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 09-12-13 17:01:33

JamesAllison

Laurence Jacquemin ADI wrote:

Check out this page of the Gov.uk website, should answer all your questions. https://www.gov.uk/practical-driving-te … cial-needs

Based on your info about your previous instructor I would agree that he is making a big deal about it, also does not sound like a nice guy if he is shouting. I personally thing that choosing a driving instructor that you get on with and who suits your individually learning style is very important, which is why I would always have a good chat to any potential instructor before starting to lessons and see if rapport is built and also just start off with an introductory lessons so you do not need to commit to too many lessons and then find the instructor is horrible.

Thanks for the advice there. Wish I had done that when I first started tongue

Yeah, well, I will tell them I have a small issue with the pivoting but by the sounds of what you've both said, it don't think it'll affect it much.

#6 09-12-13 18:53:33

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Why mention it at all?
Any decent instructor who is assessing your driving for the 1st time should only be looking for potential issues,so let them decide what needs work.
I am constantly amazed at what my pupils see as issues which are not problems at all.Usually because of 'useful' advice from parents or friends or their ex instructor  who was over concerned with technique as opposed to outcome.
Peter

Last edited by Lewinpeter1 (09-12-13 18:54:44)

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#7 09-12-13 19:05:28

la.monikita
Verified Member

Shame you had those kind of problems with an instructor. Good luck for the future.  wink

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#8 09-12-13 19:24:01

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi
Why mention it at all?
Any decent instructor who is assessing your driving for the 1st time should only be looking for potential issues,so let them decide what needs work.
I am constantly amazed at what my pupils see as issues which are not problems at all.Usually because of 'useful' advice from parents or friends or their ex instructor  who was over concerned with technique as opposed to outcome.
Peter

Hi James,

I agree with my fellow professionals for the most part.  However, I would mention it in discussion with any potential instructor.  I took someone for an assessment lesson a while ago and he failed to mention that he'd had polio when he was younger and had virtually no sideways control in his right leg.  In order to move his leg from the accelerator to the brake he had to grab hold of his trouser leg and lift his leg from one to the other.

Contrast this with a lady who told me on her first lesson, without me asking, that due to an accident she had virtually no cartilage in her left knee.  It helped me whilst instructing as I could make sure that we gradually worked on clutch control strengthening her left leg without over-taxing it.

I don't think for a moment that the former is anywhere close to your situation but what we, as individuals consider not to be an issue, may be, particularly when we are learning a new skill.

If the instructor makes a big deal of it when you mention it, it may be a good indication that that instructor is not the right one for you.

Best wishes in your search...let us know how you get on.

Last edited by Lady-Hynarc (09-12-13 19:24:40)

#9 09-12-13 22:25:08

AUTAX
Verified Member

Hi James, if you can control the car then no issue.

I have taught a guy in my Automatic with a left leg and we didn't modify the pedals he adapted his position in the seat so he could use his left leg to brake or accelerate.

I also taught a girl with a prosphetic left hand. No steering adaptions although the Examiner did suggest a steering ball. She has struggled all her life to fit in as normal. She had just passed a test without a Steering Ball and she wasn't going to start then.

Both passed first time.  smile

Last edited by AUTAX (09-12-13 22:27:17)

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#10 09-12-13 22:46:46

Evan
Administrator

I think all of your problems and issues come from being shouted at and it not being the right time for you to drive. Just be upfront with your next instructor, forget your past "bad" experience, try to put it behind you and start from scratch. Explain and demonstrate how you move your feet in the car from pedal to pedal, don't ever feel that you can't guide your instructor in the way you need to do things. A good instructor will be able to work out a plan with you!

Good luck keep us informed your experience and progress is very helpful to us, as we devise ways to help our pupils.

#11 11-12-13 02:15:38

JamesAllison

Thankyou ALL for your great advice!!! I didn't realise I would get such a professional response from here! Infact, I was expecting to get more response from people who weren't in the industry for some reason (other learners or new drivers).

I agree that my last instructor was awful. He did nothing for my confidence at all and is probably the reason why I'm not driving now.

But, I'm ready to start again now! I'll be making sure that my instructor is fully aware of the situation with my foot. Also, I'll be making sure that I pick the right instructor this time around.

I'll make sure I keep you all informed! If I have any other questions, you'll hear from me about them. If not, you'll hear from me when I begin my lessons to keep you updated smile

Thanks,
James

Board footer