You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 12-10-13 16:46:41

G
Verified Member
Website

Golf, New I30 or Focus?

I will be looking for a new car next year & currently have an I30 which has served me well so far! Not sure I could go back to a smaller car so looking at any of the above 2nd hand 1-2 years old. Anyone using them or have any other suggestions?

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

12-10-13 16:46:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Golf, New I30 or Focus?

#2 12-10-13 18:25:50

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

I'm a VW fan anyway although I no longer have one, but I have heard lots of good about the Golf.
Met Police use I30's but you already know about them wink
Some AA instructors have said that the Focus is too big for learners.

#3 12-10-13 22:51:17

la.monikita
Verified Member

I have just bought Skoda Fabia, effectively a VW. Very well built.

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#4 13-10-13 11:51:42

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

I know people are a bit funny with citroen but the c4 is a very nice car...

#5 13-10-13 14:06:11

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I had a golf for 2 1/2 years and then changed to a Polo, i'm glad i did and its by far a better and more manageable car than the Golf, and obviously and more importantly cheaper to run etc.
I have the 1.2 petrol which is nippy enough and good enough for teaching in.

#6 13-10-13 16:52:46

G
Verified Member
Website

How do the costing of petrol vs diesel work out Robbie? I do about 35k a year & my current car I get about 45mpg & at 112k still on original clutch & brake discs, only ever replaced brake pads & tyres.

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#7 13-10-13 18:18:51

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I'm averaging 39mpg per tank.
I've had car since feb 2012, and it's done 31200 miles so far.
I don't do enough miles per year to warrant the extra purchase cost of buying a diesel as well as the extra cost of fillng up.
My tank usually takes about 65-68 to fill up, which would be near 80 if diesel, just to get approx 100 miles a tank more.

#8 13-10-13 18:37:03

Evan
Administrator

Ford Fiesta Titanium diesel 50 to fill from empty 450 to the tank on lessons, awesome car to drive and teach in. Can't go wrong with a Ford.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 13-10-13 19:48:53

la.monikita
Verified Member

Evan wrote:

Ford Fiesta Titanium diesel 50 to fill from empty 450 to the tank on lessons, awesome car to drive and teach in. Can't go wrong with a Ford.

What have you paid for your latest one Ev? And what size engine do you have?

Abraham Maslow

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 13-10-13 19:56:38

martin Williams
Verified Member

Robbie wrote:

I don't do enough miles per year to warrant the extra purchase cost of buying a diesel as well as the extra cost of fillng up.
My tank usually takes about 65-68 to fill up, which would be near 80 if diesel, just to get approx 100 miles a tank more.

38mpg is around what i was getting out of my 1.2 Polo on lessons. I have now changed to the Polo Bluemotion which averages 62mpg on lessons. Now diesel costs around 5% or 6% more than petrol. The costs work out at 16.6p a mile for the petrol polo and 11p per mile for the Bluemotion. Thats a saving of 5.6p a mile. Or if you do 36,000 mile a year a saving of just over 2000 quid each year. A really big saving but i guess you would need to do over 18,000 a year to justify the extra purchase price.

Last edited by martin Williams (13-10-13 19:58:00)

#11 13-10-13 19:58:47

Evan
Administrator

1.4 Monika year old low mileage 10,000 saved 5,500 on the new price

#12 13-10-13 20:28:48

la.monikita
Verified Member

Evan wrote:

1.4 Monika year old low mileage 10,000 saved 5,500 on the new price

Sounds similar to my deal, 9mnts old 12.2k, 1.6 TDI 105bhp Skoda Elegance 10.1k with a full size spare. New one 15k

Abraham Maslow

#13 13-10-13 20:54:32

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

martin Williams wrote:
Robbie wrote:

38mpg is around what i was getting out of my 1.2 Polo on lessons. I have now changed to the Polo Bluemotion which averages 62mpg on lessons. Now diesel costs around 5% or 6% more than petrol. The costs work out at 16.6p a mile for the petrol polo and 11p per mile for the Bluemotion. Thats a saving of 5.6p a mile. Or if you do 36,000 mile a year a saving of just over 2000 quid each year. A really big saving but i guess you would need to do over 18,000 a year to justify the extra purchase price.

That's why I don't bother with diesel as I don't really do much more than 20000 miles per year.
My car is only used as learner car,  as we have family car.
As I only work Mon-fri 9.00-5.15 and don't go more than 6 miles out of town, I really won't be doing mega mileage, so petrol is good.
I'm also not a big fan of diesel, but always say I'll get one next but then stick with petrol.
I'm on my 5th learner car now and all been petrol, and so far this one had been the best for mpg.

Board footer