You are not logged in.

#1 22-08-13 07:58:58

markyt2011

upgrading a class d auto

i'm looking into driving coaches but most firms near me have manual boxes so i need to retake my test in a manual, this is going to cost me to do but i have herd from other bus drivers that if you take a class C in a manual it will remove the auto (code 78) restriction from my class D and need to know if this is true as it would be better for me as then i can always drive class C at a later date if i fancied a change.

thanks in advance and if you have a dvla link as i don't seem to be able to find anything then that would also be very helpful.
Mark

22-08-13 07:58:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: upgrading a class d auto

#2 22-08-13 19:21:43

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Yes do the cat C test removes the restriction on D licence.

2 licences for the price of 1.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 23-08-13 16:08:49

markyt2011

reddragonbus wrote:

Yes do the cat C test removes the restriction on D licence.

2 licences for the price of 1.

thank you for your reply, you don't happen to have a web link for this as I've been looking on DVLA site and all I seem to be able to find is about C+E giving you a B+E etc but nothing about removing the auto restriction on a D if taking a class C in a manual.

thanks in advance smile

#4 23-08-13 21:18:11

reddragonbus
Verified Member

The website is kak, I passed the C test and upgraded my D78 licence, trust me it is true.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#5 27-08-13 18:58:10

(ROG)
Verified Member

HIGHER GRADES UPGRADE LOWER ONES
Top to bottom
C
D
B

Manual upgrades auto

If the driver passed AUTO B, C and D and then passed manual C+E they get ... Manual in the lot and all with +E

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#6 04-09-13 11:43:24

markyt2011

sorry to bother you again but as i now need to do a cpc for my class D i was wondering if i do my class C and the cpc for that, will that also count for my class D so i can drive buses until i can get a job driving class D as i know most companies want you to have your class C for 2 years or more etc.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 04-09-13 13:07:37

(ROG)
Verified Member

markyt2011 wrote:

sorry to bother you again but as i now need to do a cpc for my class D i was wondering if i do my class C and the cpc for that, will that also count for my class D so i can drive buses until i can get a job driving class D as i know most companies want you to have your class C for 2 years or more etc.

Do you already have a PCV? - does not include any with a 101 code
Do you already have a LGV? - that includes a C1 even if free from pre 1997

IAM Observer

#8 04-09-13 14:33:53

markyt2011

(ROG) wrote:
markyt2011 wrote:

I have PCV with code 78 (if its got a clutch pedal then i can't drive it)  pasted 05/2003, took car test 03/2001 so never got a C1 etc

Just going to do my class D to upgrade my class C so its not got code 78 any more and i hope if i take the CPC for a lorry it will also cover for PCVs so i don't need to take a CPC for both vehicle classes smile

#9 04-09-13 14:43:31

(ROG)
Verified Member

markyt2011 wrote:
(ROG) wrote:
markyt2011 wrote:

I have PCV with code 78 (if its got a clutch pedal then i can't drive it)  pasted 05/2003, took car test 03/2001 so never got a C1 etc

Just going to do my class D to upgrade my class C so its not got code 78 any more and i hope if i take the CPC for a lorry it will also cover for PCVs so i don't need to take a CPC for both vehicle classes smile

Thanks

PCV gained prior to dcpc start so aquired rights for that putting it into periodic dcpc
No LGV as yet so initial dcpc needed before that can go into periodic dcpc

I now need to know how many PCV periodic dcpc hours you have done so far please?

IAM Observer

#10 04-09-13 19:19:22

markyt2011

i've not done any, i've not driven a large vehicle for 3 years, the CPC had just started coming out when i last drove a bus but now i'd like to get back into it but looking at the best way to do it

#11 04-09-13 19:56:24

(ROG)
Verified Member

markyt2011 wrote:

i've not done any, i've not driven a large vehicle for 3 years, the CPC had just started coming out when i last drove a bus but now i'd like to get back into it but looking at the best way to do it

Thanks - that makes it easy to answer

From the 10th of this month your right to drive PCVs commercially is suspended until you complete 35 hours of periodic dcpc

For the right to drive LGVs commercially you will need to pass initial dcpc modules 2 theory and 4 practical
Once those initial modules are passed along with the LGV test you will then be on the LGV periodic dcpc system as well as the PCV periodic dcpc system
You cannot get LGV periodic dcpc hours until you pass the LGV initial modules

Once the initial LGV modules are passed you will get a DQC (driver cpc card) dated 5 years from passing module 4
That first DQC will noot have an expiry date for PCV but only for LGV

Complete 35 hours of periodic dcpc ( LGV or PCV or a mix of the two) and you get a new DQC with an expiry date of 5 years from the LGV expiry date for both LGV & PCV

Example
Pass the last of the 4 LGV modules (1a 1b 2 3 4) on 02/10/2013 - get DQC dated 01/10/2018 for LGV only
Complete the last of the 35 hours of periodic dcpc on 02/12/2013 - get new DQC dated 01/10/2023 for LGV & PCV

that is how this particular situation was explained to me by the dedicated DSA dcpc team on 0191 201 8112 a few months ago

IAM Observer

Board footer