You are not logged in.

#1 19-08-13 23:20:37

christinerobs

Looking for work in Bradford - finding it difficult to get going :-(

I live in bradford recently passed my part 3...have my own car and finding it very very very difficult to find a good franchise in bradford that can help me get started and more also provide me with work (instead of just taking a franchise and giving no work)

My area covers heaton and thornbur test centres...the whole area is flooded with 2 driving schools

i need your help to offer me advice on what to do

1. is it worth trying going indy in this difficult area?

2. or is it worth finding a good franchise which is able to provide work and help me get a full diary.

please help me if you know of a good franchise.

is it worth an idea to look out of bradford for work in nearby towns instead?

19-08-13 23:20:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Looking for work in Bradford - finding it difficult to get going :-(

#2 20-08-13 05:53:17

Roadmaster
Verified Member

The reality is that franchises are competing for the same business as every other ADI in the area, they don't have a magic wand that can produce unlimited supply of work.   Remember, even as a franchisee you are still competing against other franchisees to get the business.

You are working (or not!) in a very tough market, which has seen a fall in the number of people wanting to learn to drive over the last couple of years.  It doesn't take a genius to work out that supply outstrips demand by a long way.

Rather than give away 50 quid + a week to a driving school which isn't going to guarantee anything, you could use that money to promote your own business, especially as you are fortunate enough to have your own car.

You need to put a lot of effort into getting your first few customers.  Give some free lessons to get the ball rolling, and if you are good you will get recommends.    But don't expect a full diary for many months.

#3 20-08-13 07:09:43

Evan
Administrator

What Roadmaster says is very true, it could be a couple of years before you have a regular income coming in.

#4 20-08-13 14:35:57

christinerobs

Roadmaster.....thanks for the advice your correct my area is FULLY SATURATED with ADI's.

Having just recently passed I do not have a clue as to how to get started if I were to promote myself out in this area because.

1. Those 2 major schools are operating in the area. with 40 drivers each.

2. Other indy adis that are established are working here.

What steps do you feel I need to take to get things started...you mentioned to promote my own school

1. give some free lessons (how would i advertise this on facebook?)

I'm not expecting a full diary.....I just want a few of my own pupils.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 20-08-13 14:48:41

Roadmaster
Verified Member

lol

christinerobs wrote:

Roadmaster.....thanks for the advice your correct my area is FULLY SATURATED with ADI's.

Having just recently passed I do not have a clue as to how to get started if I were to promote myself out in this area because.

1. Those 2 major schools are operating in the area. with 40 drivers each.

2. Other indy adis that are established are working here.

What steps do you feel I need to take to get things started...you mentioned to promote my own school

1. give some free lessons (how would i advertise this on facebook?)

I'm not expecting a full diary.....I just want a few of my own pupils.

The first step is not to worry about who the competition is or what they are doing.  They have their pupils, you need to get those who haven't started.   

There are numerous ways to advertise free lessons, facebook being just one.  Ask friends if they know anyone who wants driving lessons.     You could get some cheapo leaflets/business cards printed advertising free lessons (I got loads done on vistaprint for peanuts).  When I was quiet I left the cards wherever I went, including on supermarket shelves.   Most newsagents will put a leaflet/advert in their window for a couple of quid per month.    GET A WEBSITE.

You can get magnetic decals for your car cheaply (Ebay for example). 

I could go on but I would have to start charging you for all the advice   lol

Last edited by Roadmaster (20-08-13 14:49:13)

#6 20-08-13 15:15:54

Mentor
Verified Member

My advice would be to steer clear of giving free lessons. You will likely only attract the wrong kind of client and build a reputation as the driving instructor you can get free lessons from. It is better to give added value to clients who will pay you the going rate. For example you could give away a theory pack with a block of 10 lessons. Cost you about 10 out of the 200+ you bring in.  Build some kind of loyalty bonus to encourage pupils to stay with you and a reward for referrals. Get a Facebook page going, no cost to you and post your successes. In a saturated area you will need to stand above the rest but don't do it by trying to be the cheapest as that strategy can only end in failure. Good Luck.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 20-08-13 15:20:49

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Mentor wrote:

My advice would be to steer clear of giving free lessons. You will likely only attract the wrong kind of client and build a reputation as the driving instructor you can get free lessons from. It is better to give added value to clients who will pay you the going rate. For example you could give away a theory pack with a block of 10 lessons. Cost you about 10 out of the 200+ you bring in.  Build some kind of loyalty bonus to encourage pupils to stay with you and a reward for referrals. Get a Facebook page going, no cost to you and post your successes. In a saturated area you will need to stand above the rest but don't do it by trying to be the cheapest as that strategy can only end in failure. Good Luck.

You need to get a customer or two before you can give 'loyalty bonuses'.
There's nothing wrong with giving free stuff, every business sector does it from time to time.  It brings in the punters, who if you are good to them will sell you to their friends.

Last edited by Roadmaster (20-08-13 15:22:35)

#8 13-12-13 10:22:15

christinerobs

Sorry for the delay been away from the forum had a little surgery since my last post so have not been able to do anything.

Just read the replies on here by yourself and roadmaster which are very useful.

Couple of questions

Free lessons - that would be just the 'win a free' lesson if you like my fb page?....is this correct?

I'm not on facebook at present...do i just open a page for the driving school and how do i get prospective learners to like the page...i can't be sending out facebook requests to people to 'like' my page to win a free driving lesson if i do not know them or i could get banned from facebook.

I'm in bradford its small with far too many adis and 2 large schools which are bradford school of motoring and safeway ryder....they have lots ofcars but not enough work to pass around their adis, then there are the indy adis.

someone like myself with no referrals of reputation who has just passed how do i make myself stand out and get myself noticed...what would be my USP to even get people to like my fb page and then book a lesson with me?

Mentor wrote:

#9 13-12-13 14:58:41

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I don't use facebook,  but as I'm getting quiet again now  due to a few recent passes I'm telling  my customers if they put my contact details and website address on their fb page and if I get a  new customer  from it who starts lessons before end of Jan I'll give them a tenner.   That will reach a lot of  potential customers for relatively little outlay,  much better than paying for other forms of advertising.

As for free lessons it's up to you how many you want to give.   A third lesson free to a beginner?  A free lesson if you get a recommend?   

Only you knows what USP you have.  On another thread on this forum there was mention about someone offering a 'unique' service of mock testing.   That's one of the more silly examples but there are punters  out there who would actually believe that.

Last edited by Roadmaster (13-12-13 15:02:57)

#10 16-12-13 13:02:00

Yorkshire Lass

Try Fishers Driving School

#11 16-12-13 13:21:38

Roadmaster
Verified Member

DO NOT pay for facebook adertising, it doesn't work and it's expensive.

#12 16-12-13 13:44:56

sofasurfer
Verified Member

Roadmaster,

If you don't use Facebook how do you know their advertising doesn't work ? Giving free lessons away is no incentive for pupils who have passed. I give 40 cash to anyone who recommends a friend who has lessons, that works !

#13 16-12-13 14:25:57

Roadmaster
Verified Member

PAID FOR  facebook advertising doesn't work.  Two of my colleagues have tried it and both have said it was useless.
Why pay when you can post it on there yourself.

Who said anything about giving free lessons to passed pupils?

#14 21-12-13 20:06:06

christinerobs

Re: facebook. how can i reach 100 young people in my area on facebook if were to have a handful or friends or likes? - how is this done?

#15 21-12-13 20:54:16

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi christinerobs
Although I was not in the same position as yourself 3 years ago,I was left high and dry by a local franchise after the longest winter weather spell in memory,with only 12 hours of lessons.
I got 10,000 leaflets printed cheaply and used the time to deliver locally myself.
It took a while but then the phone rang and it kept ringing.l have done no other advertising except more leaflets.
I am now at my busiest for years,all the money is mine(and hmrc).
Sometimes the simplest things are the best.
Good luck for the new year.
Peter
ps
thinking about it now I have not put a leaflet out for about 6 months as most work is coming from referals

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#16 22-12-13 09:06:51

sofasurfer
Verified Member

Christinerobs,

Set up an open FB group with a meaningful name eg. Bradford Learner Drivers. Use the opening post, fixed to the top of the page, to briefly describe the group. Offer a free lesson to the best post each month. Tell all your learner drivers about it and encourage them to join the group.ake sure you approve their requests as soon as they are made. Don't allow other instructors to join. Put up lots of photos and post each day. Make it entertaining. Don't put boring posts about manoeuvres on it ! If the page is entertaining, it will attract hundreds of members. If it is not, or you forget to update it, the members will quickly drift away.

#17 29-12-13 20:11:31

christinerobs

awww at least you have work coming in smile

from those 10,000 leaflets how much work would you say came in?

Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi christinerobs
Although I was not in the same position as yourself 3 years ago,I was left high and dry by a local franchise after the longest winter weather spell in memory,with only 12 hours of lessons.
I got 10,000 leaflets printed cheaply and used the time to deliver locally myself.
It took a while but then the phone rang and it kept ringing.l have done no other advertising except more leaflets.
I am now at my busiest for years,all the money is mine(and hmrc).
Sometimes the simplest things are the best.
Good luck for the new year.
Peter
ps
thinking about it now I have not put a leaflet out for about 6 months as most work is coming from referals

#18 29-12-13 20:14:04

christinerobs

i have zero learners so its a little difficult in getting anyone to join or like my page...so whats the way around it if nobody knows you in the area how do you get yourself known?

bradford is probably the worse area in the uk for a new adi like myself to get started

sofasurfer wrote:

Christinerobs,

Set up an open FB group with a meaningful name eg. Bradford Learner Drivers. Use the opening post, fixed to the top of the page, to briefly describe the group. Offer a free lesson to the best post each month. Tell all your learner drivers about it and encourage them to join the group.ake sure you approve their requests as soon as they are made. Don't allow other instructors to join. Put up lots of photos and post each day. Make it entertaining. Don't put boring posts about manoeuvres on it ! If the page is entertaining, it will attract hundreds of members. If it is not, or you forget to update it, the members will quickly drift away.

#19 29-12-13 20:56:19

sofasurfer
Verified Member

Christine,

Tell everyone you know; family, friends, pub landlord, school teachers, shop keepers, postman, dustmen etc. that you are now an ADI. I get loads of referrals from guys in the pub. One lady is still recommending me after 11 years (her 3 daughters all passed 1st time with me). Offer a free assessment to people who have driven before and a free 1st lesson to new starters. Offer cash for successful referrals. Put postcards in all the local shops and supermarkets (not telephone boxes !). If you don't have any pupils, your full time job is to find some. Set yourself a target of finding a new pupil every day.

Set up a Facebook page, a twitter account and also Instagram. Visit all your local colleges and private schools and offer reduced rates for exclusive advertising on their notice boards.

Who helped you with Part III ? Ask them to refer any work they cannot handle. Join your local ADI association.

DON'T pay for any advertising, it will drain your bank account.

PM me if you want help :-)

#20 30-12-13 01:33:42

christinerobs

sofasurfer - I don't have any pupils so your right my full time is going to be to find some pupils with your help  smile

I have sent you a PM!

#21 02-08-14 17:19:10

lenzcrafter
Website

When done correctly Google Adwords can be spectacular!

#22 23-12-14 09:58:59

TDAScott
Website

Bumping an old thread, but over 1 year later how are you getting on?

Board footer