You are not logged in.

#26 15-08-13 20:43:07

AUTAX
Verified Member

Re: Deleted

It was just a saying at B$M, that was all. I was referring to the lack of testing of a PDI's ability to teach. Most training establishments were only interested in whether they could afford the course and drive a car unaided. The humour seems to have backfired by the comments made.

Unfortunately Bluecheckshirt may have been lured in by the misleading content of adverts that were common a few years back.

@Ratty, I appreciate that the process of becoming an ADI can be a lot cheaper but the bigger establishments were/are charging four figure amounts to train.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

15-08-13 20:43:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 15-08-13 20:43:43

Evan
Administrator

Love them or loathe them check tests are something every ADI has to do every 4 years it's part of the deal. If they worry people that much, then seek help, accept compliments about your performance as well as criticism.

I had a check test this year, I wanted to make sure that I was doing things ok so had A grade 6 Ordit trainer sit in the back. Thankfully I had nothing to worry about, but he gave me a few tips and ideas to tweak my instruction. learn from it move on and use it to strengthen your ability to teach.

Straight talk is far better than hidden agenda's.

#28 15-08-13 20:45:55

AUTAX
Verified Member

Did you get your 6 Evan?

#29 15-08-13 20:51:58

Evan
Administrator

Nope just missed it AUTAX good solid 5 he said  sad

#30 16-08-13 06:13:22

Bluecheckshirt

Thanks Lady Hynarc, I agree with what you said. 

Since posting here I have employed another trainer and still am seeing the first trainer and have asked two other colleagues to help me with my areas of weakness (teaching roundabouts) and intend to do everything I can to pass the next test. 

I will lurk and not post on this forum as people are so quick to assume I am useless at my job.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#31 16-08-13 06:22:40

Evan
Administrator

brod wrote:

You say your first check test was an educational and this latest one is your second attempt?
If that is so then you still have another 2 attempts to pass your check test so chin up its not the end of the world just yet.
Your ordit trainer should have explained this to you smile

Does this post suggest you are useless

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#32 16-08-13 06:23:44

Evan
Administrator

Evan wrote:

Try buying the DIA's "Get that Grade 6" its a good easy to read book and it puts things into an easy to follow format.

There is a wealth of experience freely given by the ADI's on these boards, try not to personalise the constructive criticism and advice they give, at the moment you are disappointed with your check test result, that is not unusual.

Turn it around to what you would do with a pupil who was not driving to the standard required, would you patronise and compliment them or tell them exactly how it is and give them solutions to improve their performance?

How about this post I have sympathised with your situation and suggested a good book to read

#33 16-08-13 06:24:53

Evan
Administrator

Roadmaster wrote:

Sounds like you need a change of trainer, and don't think it has to be ordit registered.  There are some excellent independents around.  What area are you?

This post giving some good advice about a second pair of eyes looking at the problem

#34 16-08-13 06:26:51

Evan
Administrator

brod wrote:

Yes I am a complete stranger as you are to me. I am responding to what you have posted. Of course everyone on here will and can epathise with you but you need honesty not sympathy.
It would have been more beneficial for you to have got over your disapointment first before posting. It would have been more beneficial for you to have talked to your trainer first. Your trainer really should have been there for you during the debrief (he/she may have been present)
Maybe it would help your case if you told us how we coukd help? what questions would you like to ask? I will repeat an earlier question someone asked you, what area are you based?

This post excellent advice given in a friendly way. Take note of the bit about posting after you got over your disappointment.

When any of us have failings in things we do in life, we don't always like having people flag them up, but it's part of the process you need to sort them out.

I am very straight with my pupils, I don't wrap things up in fancy paper when I tell them the facts about their drive, I talk straight, because I happen to care about them and their welfare and their safety on the road.

Yesterday a lot of young people in this country got good A level results, lots of others are dealing with the hard facts that failing their exams means having to re-sit them. Such is life all of us have to deal with disappointment, sometimes it gives us the kick up the backside we need.

Last edited by Evan (16-08-13 06:34:27)

#35 16-08-13 06:32:05

Bluecheckshirt

I have ordered a book about check tests Evan thankyou.

I don't want to get into where I am, I don't want to share too much of my life on here given the hostility I have seen so far.  I have got another trainer.  So yes I have followed some of the advice here.  I have an enormous mountain to climb to pass this test next time and I need to be in the most positive frame of mind that I can.  I think a forum like this is only any good if people are willing to be helpful and not judgemental.  There are some very unhelpful posts on here, I can't just filter them out, I have to take the bad with the good and conclude "this website is bad".  Thanks for all the positive posts, but I need to keep a positive headspace and being told I am useless and ought to never have trained is not helpful right now.  Or at any point if I'm honest.

#36 16-08-13 06:39:41

Evan
Administrator

As I say to my pupils, write the positives down about what they do on one sheet and what they perceive as the negatives on another, normally the positives outweigh the negatives. You are in the fallout zone of feeling like you are no good because the check test went badly, take a step back and have an objective look at where things went wrong, reading between the lines, I think you are clamming up in the car because the examiner is in with you, many suffer from this, myself included, hence the reason for my earlier post.

You can sort this out but you have to be objective, you have to have a game plan, more than that you have to have belief in yourself.

Good luck

Last edited by Evan (16-08-13 06:40:48)

#37 16-08-13 06:55:18

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Congratulations bluecheckshirt for taking the advice.  That's your first positive step. 

I'm a little surprised that you are using two trainers though,  that's not a good idea as you  could get conflicting instruction which will confuse you even more.
If you are paying your original trainer, you don't owe them any loyalty, so take some more advice and tell them you are leaving your training for a couple of weeks and see how you get on with the new one.

Someone made a post earlier, which they have since deleted, suggesting that by asking which area you were we were touting for business.   Probably best the post has gone because that was a stupid suggestion.   There are some very good people on here who know the job, and are willing to help, if they are within reach.   You weren't being asked for a specific location, just an area.

#38 16-08-13 10:16:55

brod
Banned

Lady-Hynarc wrote:

I do wonder if the way that people express themselves on this forum is similar to the way they express themselves to pupils on lessons?  Sometimes a well-meant enquiry, even if not expressed perfectly, can be met with a less than sympathetic response.  Surely we, as professional instructors, should be able to identify the needs of the enquirer beyond what is actually said and respond in an appropriate way, exactly as we do with our pupils.  Bluecheckshirt needed support - did he get it 100%?

And surely we as professional instructors should also be very HONEST. To identify the needs of any learner/pdi/adi we must first identify those needs, without being there in person makes a very difficult task, so, questions need to be asked to ascertain a starting point before a remedy can be offered, questions are being asked of bluecheckshirt be no answers are coming back.

Bluecheckshirt wrote:

I don't want to get into where I am, I don't want to share too much of my life on here given the hostility I have seen so far.  I have got another trainer.  So yes I have followed some of the advice here.  I have an enormous mountain to climb to pass this test next time and I need to be in the most positive frame of mind that I can.  I think a forum like this is only any good if people are willing to be helpful and not judgemental.  There are some very unhelpful posts on here, I can't just filter them out, I have to take the bad with the good and conclude "this website is bad".  Thanks for all the positive posts, but I need to keep a positive headspace and being told I am useless and ought to never have trained is not helpful right now.  Or at any point if I'm honest.

, I don't want to share too much of my life hmm no one is asking you to share your life.

hostility I have seen so far hmm this statement is out of order IMO i have looked at the posts on this thread and fail to see any hostility.
People are attempting to be helpful, unfortunately you are the only one not to realise it.
You are not helping yourself if you insist on being defensive all the time, in this world we need to take on board the negatives, without the negatives and the honesty then its difficult to improve.
Three things i have learnt in this job, three things that in my opinion mean so much. HONESTY, EMPATHY and RESPECT.
You dont respect peoples honesty so i am really sorry  bluecheckshirt but i am out.

#39 16-08-13 12:00:07

brod
Banned

Blindspot wrote:
brod wrote:

People are attempting to be helpful, unfortunately you are the only one not to realise it

Empathy and respect missing somewhat in that statement.

BS

The honesty is there, sometimes honesty has to come first. What a shame you didn't spot it  big_smile

#40 16-08-13 15:17:27

Bluecheckshirt

Well I went to my original trainer and also G6S supplies have just sent me "ADI check test guide" so I will read it. 

Brod well done on your honesty and being all abrasive and ruffty tuffty.  I'm sure some of your pupils love your approach.  You might have others in tears who never want more work from you.  Put me down as one of those delicate little flowers.  You said the posts here weren't hostile.  Say you had undertaken a new career and had a great setback being unable to pass the check test in that career,  would you say it was fair and respectful and honest if  strangers on a forum leapt to the conclusion that you should never have got into that career?  Or is it hostile?  And then jokes about all you need is arms and legs to get into this industry, implying I am a complete idiot who happens to have limbs.  Well yes I have limbs but I also have a brain.  I call hostility when I see it.

#41 16-08-13 15:47:04

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Jeez, it's a special gift to read into something which isn't there.  roll

#42 16-08-13 16:58:57

brod
Banned

Bluecheckshirt thank you for your comments smile
i respect your views and wish you good luck in you next attempt.
Blindspot your las sentence is the biggest pile of crap i have ever heard roll

#43 16-08-13 18:07:07

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

brod wrote:

.Blindspot your las sentence is the biggest pile of crap i have ever heard roll

I have to disagree. That would be the assertion by the flat earth society that the earth is flat...!   
big_smile big_smile

#44 16-08-13 18:51:23

MGM
Verified Member

christhedrummer wrote:
brod wrote:

.Blindspot your las sentence is the biggest pile of crap i have ever heard roll

I have to disagree. That would be the assertion by the flat earth society that the earth is flat...!   
big_smile big_smile

Or that there is a God, and his name is xxxx

Or that England can win the World Cup

Or "I'm from Head Office, I'm here to help"

However, amusing as this all might be, it isn't helping the OP.

#45 17-08-13 06:22:10

AUTAX
Verified Member

@bluecheckshirt

My reference to having all limbs etc was not implying that you are an idiot. Far from it I don't know you so how can I make that assumption?

I was criticising the system for allowing people to be given the idea that any able bodied person can train to become a Driving Instructor for cash. There is no criteria to be met that determines whether you have the ability to teach or not. Many potential Driving Instructors have fallen by the wayside before passing Part 3 or have found that the promises do not materialise after passing or are pushed out of the organisation to make room for the next guy with two arms, two legs and a chunk of cash.

There are moves to adopt a teaching qualification entry to become an ADI but that seems an eon away. You may well be an excellent edriver but if you cannot explain in fine detail in a calm and patient manner then you will never make the grade.

If you don't like the messages, please don't shoot the messengers. Try other Forums and see what response you get there. But for Goodness sake shake off this hard done to attitude; it's not helping you but it does attract harsh but well meant comments.

#46 17-08-13 07:53:36

Evan
Administrator

I have to agree with your post I witnessed people in training who did not have the credentials to do this job, this comment in no way reflects on the OP but it is a fact borne out by the amount of people who come into Driving Instruction then leave.

Board footer