You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 26-07-13 22:16:41

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Re: IAM Offsiding the centre line

brod wrote:

Personally I am no great lover of IAM sad
however on this occasion and from what has been said I have to agree with the decision. People appear to be missing an important factor here! the junction to the right is a give way, and as we all know, anyone emerging at a  give way HAS to give way to traffic from the right and the LEFT. At the time you approached the parked car there was obviously no car emerging from the junction to the right and then you should  have realised that. Fortunately I know the road in question and have driven it several times, I to would have moved out earlier as the IAM examiner advised. IF, a car approached the give way to the right and DID emerge thenproviding your speed suited the conditions you would have had plenty time to move back in. Sorry for going against the trend here but the examiner WAS correct, on this occasion. neutral

Hi Brod

Having driven this route again today I have to disagree because irrespective of the blind junction on the right, visibility around the left hand bend ahead of the parked car was better by driving in a normal driving position and looking down the pavement line.
I tried moving out well before the blind junction (dangerous I know!) and could see nothing of the lefthand bend as my view was obscured by the parked car.

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

26-07-13 22:16:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#27 26-07-13 22:18:47

ralge
Verified Member

RobC wrote:

I agree with everyones comments but this was an IAM examiner not an observer.

I was also told that I should have reversed into a parking space and not driven in forwards before I met him, and that reverse bay park at the end of the test should have been a simple one and not one which required skill ie 90 degrees to the bay like my pupils have to do on their learner test.

I don't teach 90 degree method since I think it is unnecessarily difficult and generally not fit for purpose.
Plus, there's not a lot of reverse parking done in Tesco's et al so I conclude that the "skill" some/many learners acquire pre-test somehow deserts them when they've passed.  Or maybe they were never given a reasoning behind reverse parking - this is quite evident by the number of ADI's dumping their car forward into a parking space - it seems that "we reverse into a space because we may have to on test" - but, then again, a bay park was never tested at Part2 and there isn't a bay park PST so the DSA aren't bothered, apparently.  Am I being harsh?

Now is the lack of bay-parking because many methods passed on by instructors work:
- only when stickers are present in the school's car,
- only when the real-world bays post-test are of the same width as those in the TC
- or rather don't work because the methods taught are unusable in real car parks when, as in one of the TC'S in Sheffield the method involves doing a U-turn almost to exit the car-park before reversing straight into a bay directly behind you marked by paint, unusually, on Tarmac, pavement AND the wall behind the bay or, even better, when the 90 degree method involves starting off an entire car park's road width away from the target bay.

In your observed runs/training, you should have been told to reverse bay park and to pick a way that is safe, efficient and real-world AND allowed to work out the reasons why reversing in makes sense.

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#28 26-07-13 22:20:53

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Triplea35 wrote:
RobC wrote:

Hi Martin

In Chorley and Southport test centres my pupils have no option but to bay park at 90 degrees, I realise that not the case at all test centres  wink

I cannot envisage a situation/location where an easier option of bay parking than the 90 degree method is not possible?

Ive never seen anyone do a bay park at Southport any other way than at 90 degrees there isn't any room

Southport test centre

#29 26-07-13 22:23:58

Driver99

RobC wrote:

I did have some training but it appears that there is the official IAM line, for example on offsiding...and then theres the examiners opinion which is why  its difficult to know what they are looking for.
I know that you may be observed manoeuvring when you are arriving for test, but I was already there it was just that the examiner didn't like the fact Id gone into a bay forwards. I do a lot of fleet assessments and I could guarantee I wouldn't get any repeat work if I told my customers they should have reversed into their spaces before their assesments yikes

Off siding usually means something else; the official line is it's not expected on test, but if it's done safely and to advantage, it shouldn't be marked down. It really helps to verbalise what and why you're doing it.  The examiner doesn't know you and how you drive, so if you suddenly move to the other side of the road, it can be a bit exciting.
Re bay park.  They expect you to reverse in unless you need the boot, like at a supermarket.
Get Fleet out of your head, you're trying to pass a test, not get repeat work!
Anyway, did you pass?

#30 26-07-13 22:25:36

ralge
Verified Member

RobC wrote:
Triplea35 wrote:
RobC wrote:

Hi Martin

In Chorley and Southport test centres my pupils have no option but to bay park at 90 degrees, I realise that not the case at all test centres  wink

I cannot envisage a situation/location where an easier option of bay parking than the 90 degree method is not possible?

Ive never seen anyone do a bay park at Southport any other way than at 90 degrees there isn't any room

Southport test centre

This method creates space and/or makes good use of the available space:
- pull up perpendicular and fairly close to the lines/cars in the bays.
- turn away (full lock) from bays, opening up the angle of vision behind you into the bay and then reverse (initially full lock other way) into it.

I have this method written up with photos (together with the simplest of pp methods between two parked cars) if anyone would like an emailed copy.

Last edited by ralge (26-07-13 22:45:17)

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#31 26-07-13 22:41:24

ralge
Verified Member

RobC wrote:
Driver99 wrote:
RobC wrote:

I agree with everyones comments but this was an IAM examiner not an observer.

I was also told that I should have reversed into a parking space and not driven in forwards before I met him, and that reverse bay park at the end of the test should have been a simple one and not one which required skill ie 90 degrees to the bay like my pupils have to do on their learner test.

Did you have any training prior to the test?
It's a bit like a PST, if you know what they are looking for, it helps.
If they see you do a reverse at the start of a test, they like that.  If it's done well they can spend more time on driving forwards, which is more interesting.
The idea for a bay park is to make life easy for yourself, why try a 90 degree if you don't have to? You don't have to do 90 on a DSA test.

I did have some training but it appears that there is the official IAM line, for example on offsiding...and then theres the examiners opinion which is why  its difficult to know what they are looking for.
I know that you may be observed manoeuvring when you are arriving for test, but I was already there it was just that the examiner didn't like the fact Id gone into a bay forwards. I do a lot of fleet assessments and I could guarantee I wouldn't get any repeat work if I told my customers they should have reversed into their spaces before their assesments yikes .

I automatically did a bay park at 90 degrees is because that is what I do every day with my learners due to the test centre layout. I agree another way could have been easier. In the same way a former police trained driver may well continue to drive in a certain way because that's what hes been trained to do and has done for 25 years without him considering whether its the best and safest way for everyday driving.

With the right approach, body language etc, I don't see a problem and have never had any negatives from fleet delegates about my reasoning for reverse parking and any notional challenge from me on how they have parked on the day - "I was in a rush this morning ..." is a frequent excuse.
I simply ask them how and where they think I have parked in the company car park.  And then, why?  I confess to being anal.
The contrast with how they may have parked and the difficulties that might give them quickly become self-evident to them and THEY criticise themselves. So I don't need to say very much at all other than validate and reinforce their ideas on how parking can go wrong.  Job done, they may not change their method in the longer term but they have had to reflect on what can go wrong and may have been encouraged to be more effective risk managers.

#32 26-07-13 22:42:56

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Driver99 wrote:
RobC wrote:

I know that you may be observed manoeuvring when you are arriving for test, but I was already there it was just that the examiner didn't like the fact Id gone into a bay forwards. I do a lot of fleet assessments and I could guarantee I wouldn't get any repeat work if I told my customers they should have reversed into their spaces before their assesments yikes

Off siding usually means something else; the official line is it's not expected on test, but if it's done safely and to advantage, it shouldn't be marked down. It really helps to verbalise what and why you're doing it.  The examiner doesn't know you and how you drive, so if you suddenly move to the other side of the road, it can be a bit exciting.
Re bay park.  They expect you to reverse in unless you need the boot, like at a supermarket.
Get Fleet out of your head, you're trying to pass a test, not get repeat work!
Anyway, did you pass?

I intended to verbalise but as you said it was a test and not the real world and I went into test mode. I did pass so I think its better to get the test out of my head and back into the real world where it doesn't matter if my fleet customers park their car forwards or backwards into a space prior me getting there smile

#33 26-07-13 22:46:35

RobC
Verified Member
Website

ralge wrote:
RobC wrote:
Driver99 wrote:

Did you have any training prior to the test?
It's a bit like a PST, if you know what they are looking for, it helps.
If they see you do a reverse at the start of a test, they like that.  If it's done well they can spend more time on driving forwards, which is more interesting.
The idea for a bay park is to make life easy for yourself, why try a 90 degree if you don't have to? You don't have to do 90 on a DSA test.

I know that you may be observed manoeuvring when you are arriving for test, but I was already there it was just that the examiner didn't like the fact Id gone into a bay forwards. I do a lot of fleet assessments and I could guarantee I wouldn't get any repeat work if I told my customers they should have reversed into their spaces before their assesments yikes .

I automatically did a bay park at 90 degrees is because that is what I do every day with my learners due to the test centre layout. I agree another way could have been easier. In the same way a former police trained driver may well continue to drive in a certain way because that's what hes been trained to do and has done for 25 years without him considering whether its the best and safest way for everyday driving.

With the right approach, body language etc, I don't see a problem and have never had any negatives from fleet delegates about my reasoning for reverse parking and any notional challenge from me on how they have parked on the day - "I was in a rush this morning ..." is a frequent excuse.
I simply ask them how and where they think I have parked in the company car park.  And then, why?  I confess to being anal.
The contrast with how they may have parked and the difficulties that might give them quickly become self-evident to them and THEY criticise themselves. So I don't need to say very much at all other than validate and reinforce their ideas on how parking can go wrong.  Job done, they may not change their method in the longer term but they have had to reflect on what can go wrong and may have been encouraged to be more effective risk managers.

Jeez Ralge you do a thorough job don't you smile

#34 26-07-13 23:00:08

ralge
Verified Member

RobC wrote:
ralge wrote:
RobC wrote:

Jeez Ralge you do a thorough job don't you smile

I like to think so but with good reason since my pay-masters (and sometimes the clients) expect parking to be covered substantially since lots of the company money is squandered on car-parking bumps and scrapes.

#35 27-07-13 05:22:58

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

I don't teach 90 degree method since I think it is unnecessarily difficult and generally not fit for purpose.
Plus, there's not a lot of reverse parking done in Tesco's et al so I conclude that the "skill" some/many learners acquire pre-test somehow deserts them when they've passed.  Or maybe they were never given a reasoning behind reverse parking

I don't find it difficult at all.  Look for the line, observe, turn, look for the lines, straighten, done.  Yes, doing it at 45 or some other method may be easier and quicker, but 90 copes with many situations and is a good 'base' from which to adapt and evolve.  Sometimes you need a good solid method which becomes more fluid and evolved once you've understood the basics.

As for why people don't reverse at Tescos - probably cos most people are lazy.  It is less demanding skill wise to drive in and reverse out into a large space, than reverse into a small one.  Simple.  Nothing to do with stickers and things I suspect.  Personally, I've never used stickers for anything.

As for "they were never given a reason" - lol - indeed, all we need to do is explain the 'why' and magically everyone agrees with us and will change their behaviour hence forth!  If only it was so easy!  That must be why some people smoke, takes drugs, drink too much, eat too much, go too fast, use the phone, etc etc cos unfortunately, no one has told them 'why'.   tongue 

And, all things considered, reversing out of a bay is far less risky than some of the other behaviours and attitudes the driver will subsequently use in the drive home!  Not the highest priority of things to focus and change perhaps?

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#36 27-07-13 05:29:13

brod
Banned

kaf wrote:

Your observer is an idiot, getting across the centre line before the junction is madness , if a car emerges from the junction on the right, with the driver looking only to his right, as many do, you are in imminent danger. Your escape time is very restricted and will,necessitate a rapid steer left, which is not something you should put tourself in a position of having to do.

That junction, with its restricted view in is by far a bigger hazard, if you cross the line, than the parked car is if you stay left of it.

I would speak to the area senior observer and challenge the comments made.

Kaf, you say "getting across the centre line before the junction is madness" I would be interested to know how you would deal with parked cars that are parked directly opposite junctions on the right.
To call someone an IDIOT without knowing all the facts or without meeting the person is not very professional, I am sure many people disagree with some of your decisions but I would doubt they would call you an idiot.

#37 27-07-13 05:35:02

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Chorley car park   http://goo.gl/maps/HOz25

This is a very tight car park with few spaces made worse by the examiners using  the 3 bays on the left of the picture.   Note how they park forwards in the bays!

#38 27-07-13 05:37:06

MGM
Verified Member

brod wrote:

the junction to the right is a give way, and as we all know, anyone emerging at a  give way HAS to give way to traffic from the right and the LEFT.

And they always do ....

#39 27-07-13 05:56:22

RobC
Verified Member
Website

brod wrote:
kaf wrote:

Your observer is an idiot, getting across the centre line before the junction is madness , if a car emerges from the junction on the right, with the driver looking only to his right, as many do, you are in imminent danger. Your escape time is very restricted and will,necessitate a rapid steer left, which is not something you should put tourself in a position of having to do.

That junction, with its restricted view in is by far a bigger hazard, if you cross the line, than the parked car is if you stay left of it.

I would speak to the area senior observer and challenge the comments made.

Kaf, you say "getting across the centre line before the junction is madness" I would be interested to know how you would deal with parked cars that are parked directly opposite junctions on the right.
To call someone an IDIOT without knowing all the facts or without meeting the person is not very professional, I am sure many people disagree with some of your decisions but I would doubt they would call you an idiot.

If there was a car parked directly opposite a junction on the right you would have to approach at a speed suitable for how far you could see into the junction on the right.  If you couldn't see into the junction at all you would have to stop and creep around the parked car. If you could see into the junction on the right on approach and there were no oncoming vehicles, you could proceed around the parked car without hardly reducing your speed.

If someone you don't know makes a judgement that you consider dangerous, you can hardly call them sensible so what would you call them.?

#40 27-07-13 06:05:10

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Roadmaster wrote:

This is a very tight car park with few spaces made worse by the examiners using  the 3 bays on the left of the picture.   Note how they park forwards in the bays!

The only option for bay parking at Chorley test centre is to pull up behind the red car and 90 degree bay park.

DSA examiners are no different than anyone else in parking forwards into bays. If you go to your local Police station even the Police drive forwards into bays unless they are on emergency call out and need a quick exit.

Last edited by RobC (27-07-13 06:06:56)

#41 27-07-13 06:35:16

brod
Banned

Rob, the parked car opposite the junction is parked on the major road the road i am traveling on. Why would i need to see far enough into the junction on the right? I m not turning right!!! I need to pass the parked car so not to hold up or confuse following drivers.
If a person decided to accuse me of bad driving i would question their reasons for their decision i may then accept they could be right, i certainly would not call them an idiot.

#42 27-07-13 07:11:04

brod
Banned

Rob how would you like a second opinion??
We are only 20 minutes from each other. Perhaps we could arrange to meet up and you could recreate this section of your drive. You could show me what you did and explain it then give more feedback as to what your examiner said. A second opinion from a fellow profssional can sometimes make a difference  smile

#43 27-07-13 07:20:29

Triplea35
Verified Member

RobC wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

The only option for bay parking at Chorley test centre is to pull up behind the red car and 90 degree bay park.

DSA examiners are no different than anyone else in parking forwards into bays. If you go to your local Police station even the Police drive forwards into bays unless they are on emergency call out and need a quick exit.

Appreciate it is tight but if able to a 90 degree reverse then able to do other methods. Drive straight through the gate towards the disabled bay, and turn left at 90 degrees alongside the bays. The first and second bays you might do a 45degree forward and then reverse in from an angle where you have a bay line clearly visible in right mirror/over  right shoulder. The others nearer the examiners cars you could almost do an 90 degree drive away and reverse straight back in or with just minor 'tweaking' as I describe it.

Can't see any issue with the other car park posted either.

#44 27-07-13 07:23:14

RobC
Verified Member
Website

brod wrote:

Rob how would you like a second opinion??
We are only 20 minutes from each other. Perhaps we could arrange to meet up and you could recreate this section of your drive. You could show me what you did and explain it then give more feedback as to what your examiner said. A second opinion from a fellow profssional can sometimes make a difference  smile

Hi Brod, Thanks for the offer. I agree its very difficult to give an opinion unless you have seen the situation for yourself, Ive got some time free
next week if you would like to give me a callRob

Last edited by RobC (03-11-14 06:27:17)

#45 27-07-13 07:39:38

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Triplea35 wrote:
RobC wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

Appreciate it is tight but if able to a 90 degree reverse then able to do other methods. Drive straight through the gate towards the disabled bay, and turn left at 90 degrees alongside the bays. The first and second bays you might do a 45degree forward and then reverse in from an angle where you have a bay line clearly visible in right mirror/over  right shoulder. The others nearer the examiners cars you could almost do an 90 degree drive away and reverse straight back in or with just minor 'tweaking' as I describe it.

Can't see any issue with the other car park posted either.

Hi Triplea

I agree that as experienced drivers there may be other ways of reverse bay parking, but from my own viewpoint I tend to only teach learners the way that will work with all the bays in the test centre car park.
I concentrate on the right reverse as that is the one that they will use on test and the one that they will pass or fail on. I don't practise the left reverse much and would like to show pupils other ways of doing things if I can do that without confusing them, however unfortunately there are usually time or money constraints.

#46 27-07-13 08:35:03

ralge
Verified Member

Coasting Mart wrote:

Plus, there's not a lot of reverse parking done in Tesco's et al so I conclude that the "skill" some/many learners acquire pre-test somehow deserts them when they've passed.  Or maybe they were never given a reasoning behind reverse parking

And, all things considered, reversing out of a bay is far less risky than some of the other behaviours and attitudes the driver will subsequently use in the drive home!  Not the highest priority of things to focus and change perhaps?

The fleet world disagrees with you since, for many fleets, a huge drain on the company's resources stems from damage done in car parks so it is very much a priority.  So much so that more than a handful of blue-chip companies enforce reverse bay parking.

The three most common contexts for damage are:
- rear-ends
- parking/manoeuvring
- crossing the path of others.

The number of bumps and scrapes in car parks outweigh every other type and, for fleets of course, this involves business inefficiency and an irritatingly considerable number of man-hours to sort out the 600 quid bumper damage and third party costs.
Reversing, I hope we can agree, is difficult (where is my back end? and which way should I look, left shoulder, fully behind or right shoulder?) and dangerous (why, then, reversing sensors before all-round sensors and reversing cameras?) so it makes sense to get it out of the way when we arrive, when we know the area we are reversing into is secure (but, if in doubt, get out and have a look).
Use the wheels at the front to get in and out efficiently (it must be fun watching the examiners at Chorley reverse out of their car park). To drive in and reverse out is just too much like hard work at the same time as dealing with traffic around you and pedestrians with a death-wish in a Tesco/Sainsburys setting.
The facts behind Jo Public as an individual driver not buying into any of this logic, broadly speaking (there are those who echo my "I always reverse in, always have" comments), is unknown and unprovable.  But I get the distinct impression from sitting with up to 10 drivers per week and from driving-walking through countless supermarket car parks that the methods they were taught (if they were) were not usable, easily transferable, real-world methods (stickers and 90 degree etc) and they weren't given the motivation, the reasoning or the logic to find a workable method post-test.
So, stand in a supermarket car park and within minutes you will see vehicles:
- driven in and abandoned at an angle because of the steering inefficiency of driving in
- vehicles being reversed dangerously out into moving vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- vehicles reversing towards others reversing
- vans driven in to spaces that will not allow a drive-through and having to reverse out totally blind.

Last edited by ralge (27-07-13 08:36:40)

#47 27-07-13 08:48:41

brod
Banned

Rob, i will call you later if thats ok? smile

#48 27-07-13 08:49:43

ralge
Verified Member

RobC wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

I would have said the opposite with anyone on blue lights - the mantra as far as I am concerned is always to be able to drive out on a shout and I can see this to be the case with two local cop shops.

#49 27-07-13 09:18:29

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Any marked car at my station that was parked facing in , had clearly been borrowed by the CID!  smile

#50 27-07-13 15:37:28

Mentor
Verified Member

I'm in the IAM and on the information provided and the situation shown I would say the examiner is wrong. Driving in the real world, the balance of risk would be to wait until you have passed the junction on the right before moving over. There is no use being correct in theory when you have just collided with an emerging car whose driver didn't look left. I teach my pupils the same as I have no desire to have an accident, even a non fault one.

Board footer