You are not logged in.

#26 28-07-13 15:01:01

Mentor
Verified Member

Re: Cannot Afford to Work

What did you expect them to do?  It is your responsibility to get it fixed and their responsibility to foot the bill.  There will always be vehicle problems when you are an ADI and sometimes you will lose some lessons waiting for a garage to fix them.  It's all part of being an ADI and running your own show.

28-07-13 15:01:01

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 28-07-13 17:17:07

Evan
Administrator

Agree with Mentor, a word to the wise make sure you have spare bulbs in your car and a small tool kit. Also make sure that you are (where possible) familiar with changing bulbs etc. I have on a couple of occasions had bulbs go on the way to the test having just completed the show me tell me questions, so speed is needed and good familiarity with your car. I mention this simply because if the examiner refuses to take the test out you could be saddled with a new test fee, such is the fun of self employment.

Last edited by Evan (28-07-13 19:06:01)

#28 17-08-13 08:30:14

Shadgrind
Website

Got out of contract, now going with RED, it was a mutual separation, they felt that, though I was good at the job and pupils have been calling the office to say how much they liked my lessons, they could not change their way of working to fit me. They are more than happy to let me hold onto the car for a week or so, until I can afford to fuel it up to return it. big_smile Thanks for all advice, so far, even the stuff I didn't want to hear. I am not giving up on this smile

Going to the brink of death & back in a nine car pile-up, is much like making love to a beautiful woman. Brace yourself, hold tight & pray you make contact with her twin airbags as soon as possible big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#29 17-08-13 08:43:17

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Got out of contract, now going with RED,

Out of the frying pan into the fire!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#30 17-08-13 10:55:16

Evan
Administrator

Roadmaster wrote:

Got out of contract, now going with RED,

Out of the frying pan into the fire!

Agreed

#31 17-08-13 14:09:17

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Red, seriously?

Never heard of once bitten ...........?

#32 17-08-13 15:08:22

reddragonbus
Verified Member

This thread must be a wind up.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#33 17-08-13 15:39:41

Evan
Administrator

Red is where your bank balance will be  sad

#34 17-08-13 19:26:47

VandADI
Administrator

reddragonbus wrote:

This thread must be a wind up.

I don't think this is a wind up, but I am afraid shadgrind, you are going to hear more stuff you don't want to hear.  You are going to find yourself in exactly the same situation as before in a few months' time.
I hope the promises RED have made are written in stone so you have something to produce as evidence when it all goes wrong!

#35 18-08-13 12:17:02

sofasurfer
Verified Member

VandADI,

I tend to agree with you but what advice or guidance would you give ?

#36 18-08-13 12:35:38

VandADI
Administrator

sofasurfer wrote:

VandADI,

I tend to agree with you but what advice or guidance would you give ?

My advice would be to focus on getting through the part 3 with sufficient supervision to get through asap.
The OP has mentioned he is also out of cash so now he finds himself in a chicken-egg scenario where he has to get the hours in with RED to pay bills etc., which will take the focus out of getting through part 3.

Perhaps the OP could clarify what exactly RED are doing to ensure his training is of a high standard enough to pass part 3 first time?

#37 18-08-13 17:44:11

tj

With all the information available on this site, the internet and you tube about various training companies this would seem like a curious choice.  I was put off them even before I knew about the arrangement they had with their bank where any loan taken out but not repaid on time increased dramatically.  What appalled me was that one of the recommendations for instructor training on their site came from someone that had trained with them and went straight into instructor training( with them) bypassing putting learner drivers through the syllabus - no longer on the site, must have put more than me off LOL.  Would have to agree with previous posts - if I had suitable car I would seek temporary employment which allowed me to focus on part three by going on a pay as you go basis with an experienced ORDIT trainer, sitting the exam when they thought I was ready(Never take one for the experience).  Over 14 years I have had many conversations with lots of national school trained pink licence holders whilst their pupils were on test - sad to say many of these never made the grade and a lot of those that did, did so by going to independent ORDIT trainers prior to their last attempt.

Last edited by tj (18-08-13 18:48:28)

ADI, LGV, PCV, Dip DI

#38 20-08-13 13:25:46

sofasurfer
Verified Member

When I did part III I had a diary full of pupils and worked 7 days each week for 5 months. I could therefore afford a lot of help with my training. Having a full diary enabled me to put my training into practice. Without that workload I would have found it difficult to pass first time.

#39 20-08-13 14:56:22

Roadmaster
Verified Member

sofasurfer wrote:

When I did part III I had a diary full of pupils and worked 7 days each week for 5 months. I could therefore afford a lot of help with my training. Having a full diary enabled me to put my training into practice. Without that workload I would have found it difficult to pass first time.

Sounds like you abused the pink badge, which is a licence to assist in training, not a licence to work!

#40 20-08-13 16:17:08

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi RM
Quite agree, but the pink has always been abused!
Not, usually,by the licencee, but by some of the big training companies.
The system is flawed, but then the whole driver training industry is sseriously flawed.
Its dog eat dog now out there, no help from the dsa, pupils who are only interested in how few and how cheap, parents who put there kids safety at risk by only being interested in the same and lesson prices that havent increased properly, if at all, for years.
Cant blame a skint trainee for making some cash; its allowed.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#41 03-10-13 10:15:16

Shadgrind
Website

wink All resolved, have now changed companies, working for one of the biggest, full diary, students in easy reach, I keep all the money, done a week so far, made more money than I did in a month for the other mob.

I love this job. Got a much better car too, a Corsa 12 plate. I cannot believe the difference. Glad I stuck with it. Online diary and bookings as well, no more calling a mailbox in the late evening picking up jobs. Totally professional approach.

Going to the brink of death & back in a nine car pile-up, is much like making love to a beautiful woman. Brace yourself, hold tight & pray you make contact with her twin airbags as soon as possible big_smile

#42 03-10-13 10:24:50

Roadmaster
Verified Member

shadgrind wrote:

I keep all the money

Great.  So you don't pay a franchise fee?

#43 03-10-13 13:04:42

AUTAX
Verified Member

Have you passed the Part 3 yet?

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#44 12-10-13 18:29:50

Shadgrind
Website

Roadmaster wrote:
shadgrind wrote:

I keep all the money

Great.  So you don't pay a franchise fee?

Yes pay franchise, but all the money I collect goes to me, unlike the,last mob, who took over half the lesson fees, as mentioned before. I  am busy, earning good money getting good support, online diary, no proxy mailbox to call for jobs. I am indeed with RED! Ready for part three and confident I will pass first time. Practicing on my students making me a better instructor. I am refining my technique all the time, best move I ever made. I am committed to being a !!!!!!!! good instructor.

#45 12-10-13 18:55:10

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Yet another abuse of the trainee licence system then!   (That isn't a personal dig shadgrind).   No wonder Red doesn't want the trainee system changed.

#46 12-10-13 19:27:55

AUTAX
Verified Member

Nice to hear you are happy again.

I have always said the pink licence is not for earning a living but to be able to charge something to cover expenses whilst learning with the odd pupil whilst training. The BSM Manager at Bournemouth brow beated me into taking out a franchise instead of pay as you go. Six months working seven days a week morning, noon & night. I was knackered.

But I'm glad you are happy and at last making a bob or two. Good Luck with the Part III

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#47 12-10-13 19:57:25

MAZ
Verified Member

It may seem like abuse of the system, but, the more experiance a trainee has the better chance of passing pt3, particularly given today's examiners are looking for more than just standard PST teaching and pushing for more which can only come from live experiance. I did 56 hours on the week of my pt3 and managed to squeeze in the pt 3 test half way through the Wednesday which turned out to be just a mild disruption to the week the only downside being, it was the only lesson I did not get paid for that week.

Maz.

#48 12-10-13 20:09:12

Roadmaster
Verified Member

The abuse is that a training company is profiting from  unqualified instructors by charging a franchise fee whilst at the same time  misleading the public by advertising that their instructors are 'experts'.

#49 12-10-13 21:11:39

MAZ
Verified Member

Roadmaster wrote:

The abuse is that a training company is profiting from  unqualified instructors by charging a franchise fee whilst at the same time  misleading the public by advertising that their instructors are 'experts'.

I don't think that matters a jot to the trainee struggling to get through the system.

I suppose we are talking mainly B$M here, I'm not going to diss a system that got me and many others (some on here no doubt) into this profession. I rarely hear complaints from those who trained with B$M about their training.

Why complain about a business model that over the years has helped to keep the price of lessons as high as posible, and as they, even at their best only had 2% of the market (no competition whatsoever to a good ADI) it's a small price to pay. The alternative, no trainee licence, B$M having to change their business model to match the 5 for 59's, what will that do to the future of this job?

Maz.

#50 12-10-13 21:23:58

Itaintmeyouknow

MAZ wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

I don't think that matters a jot to the trainee struggling to get through the system.

I suppose we are talking mainly B$M here, I'm not going to diss a system that got me and many others (some on here no doubt) into this profession. I rarely hear complaints from those who trained with B$M about their training.

Why complain about a business model that over the years has helped to keep the price of lessons as high as posible, and as they, even at their best only had 2% of the market (no competition whatsoever to a good ADI) it's a small price to pay. The alternative, no trainee licence, B$M having to change their business model to match the 5 for 59's, what will that do to the future of this job?

Maz.

I think that Roadmaster's point is that RED advertise to their potential pupils that their instructors are experts: this suggests that they are fully qualified.  I did an intensive course that was advertised as being with expert instructors - if the badge had been red rather than green, then I would have been mighty pi55ed off.  Yes, a trainee has to learn somehow, and should be able to earn some money, but the charges should be lower, and the franchise fee should reflect that.

Board footer