You are not logged in.

#1 04-07-13 15:08:58

dog
Verified Member

Driving a tank

This is a slightly odd question but the DVLA seem to have a complete lack of information on this so I hope so of you ex-army types might know. A friend of mine has a tank, which is completely road legal (rubber tracks, compliant lighting, number plates etc) and it's insured to drive on the road (£120 a year amazing!)

He was in the army so obviously learned to drive a tank during his time there.

I want to drive it on the road but obviously I do not have a tank licence and I'm not in the army. My counterpart driving licence says I have provisional entitlement for category G (road roller) and H (tracked vehicle). I am guessing a tank would be category H as it is a tracked vehicle.

Since he has a full tank licence, and I have provisional entitlement, would I be able to drive his tank on the road displaying L plates with him sat next to me?

The tank weighs about 10 tonnes.

04-07-13 15:08:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving a tank

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 04-07-13 16:02:16

Mentor
Verified Member

No problem driving it on the road but according to the gov.uk site you cannot take a test in it.

Category H - tracked vehicles

Must have adequate all-round visibility to let the driver carry out manoeuvres and deal with junctions safely.

Any vehicle needing a second person to help with observation, such as a military vehicle, cant be used for a category H test.

#3 04-07-13 16:10:22

dog
Verified Member

Don't intend to take the test, just wanna have a blast on the road. Should be awesome.

#4 04-07-13 16:24:57

brod
Banned

Love it dog big_smile  good luck, I would love to do that smile

Board footer