You are not logged in.

#1 26-06-13 11:36:49

AircraftHandler79

Becoming a Driving Instructor with Military background

Hi there this is my first post as i'm a newbie to the site & have a burning passion to become a driving instructor when i leave the Forces next year.

Im looking at different resettlement packages for different companies which offer quite good deals but i'm slightly worried that i'm going to go into an overborne industry?

If this was my chosen profession on leaving would anyone recommend going self employed or as part of a franchise with someone like the AA or BSM?

As anyone had any dealing with franchised companies?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ty

26-06-13 11:36:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Becoming a Driving Instructor with Military background

#2 26-06-13 12:03:17

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Can you afford a franchise?    If you work for yourself the income goes into your bank not someone else's. 

Yes you would be coming into an oversaturated industry, where supply far outstrips demand.

Even if you are awash with money, do your training with a small training company, or a good independent trainer who doesn't require up front fees.  Then you can use the money you have saved to set up your own business.

#3 26-06-13 12:28:27

AircraftHandler79

As i'm in the forces i will get a resettlement package which will cover all costs of training towards me being a qualified ADI so i'm not worried about that part.

The reason i asked about a franchise is it seems like a good opportunity to get established then move onto the self employed route.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 26-06-13 13:05:51

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Having  a good amount of cash to start is an advantage,  and if you use your money wisely you can get established without becoming skint, and end up being one of the many ADIs who fail to make it past the fourth year.

Many take on a franchise with a big school thinking they will get loads of work, but the reality is, after the initial supply you will be expected to source your own, because the franchise will then start to pass the limited work on to the next new franchisee.
Paying several hundred quid a week for what is basically  car rental and nowt else with the big franchises is a not a good business plan.

If you train with a small or indy trainer, and get to part 3 stage,  you can then work on a pink badge under their guidance and source work  with their assistance.  And some local schools offer cheap franchises were you use your own car.  That's a good way to work up business without bankrupting yourself.

#5 26-06-13 14:07:24

AircraftHandler79

So how much does it cost to run a business a month then out of curiosity?

Thanx

#6 26-06-13 14:21:49

AircraftHandler79

Im thinking of doing my resettlement training which i have been told i can qualify in 5 weeks & then use my lump sum of what the forces are giving me to start my own business.

Where can i find info about costings of renting a car & everything please?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 26-06-13 15:06:15

Roadmaster
Verified Member

AircraftHandler79 wrote:

Thanx

How long is a piece of string?     smile

It's all down to personal circumstances, but the biggest expense is the car.   If you can afford to buy one, you have an asset if anything goes wrong.   Otherwise, you could  lease or rent one. 
The other main expense you have is advertising.   Of course that will depend on how you advertise.  A website is a must. 

You can run a business on a lot less than the 800 quid a month a franchise would cost.

Im thinking of doing my resettlement training which i have been told i can qualify in 5 weeks & then use my lump sum of what the forces are giving me to start my own business.

Do you mean qualify as an ADI?  You are looking at anything between  6-18 months  to become an ADI.  If someone has told you that you can go through the whole process in 5 weeks they are as sane as Ian Brady.

Regarding renting/leasing a car you need to visit dealerships and discuss what the best deals are.  If you buy new, many dealers will offer free dual controls and servicing.

#8 26-06-13 15:16:37

Paulski
Verified Member
Website

The best advice I can give you is to separate the training from anything you do after. The two aren't linked.

I would go to your nearest test centre when the tests are out and ask the instructors present their advice about their training and trainer. Eventually you will find a name that re-occurs.

You could build a driving school on very little start-up costs. You could also go bust on massive start-up costs, franchise or not. As has been said you are self-employed and responsible for sourcing work yourself be it AA,BSM or John Smith School of Motoring.

For doing say 30 hours of lessons per week, you would incorporate costs of between 150 and 250 per week (more on a national franchise) depending on your car and whether it's rented or bought, your mileage, your advertising, website etc. Some of these costs may be obvious each week but some may be hidden for a while until wham there it is, new clutch/ gearbox.

But most of all, of course, thirty hours won't drop out of the sky and you will have some costs to meet come what may.

Tread carefully, those offering driving instructor training or franchises may paint a very different picture to those working in the job.

www.redminidrivingschool.co.uk
info@redminidrivingschool.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 26-06-13 15:50:00

AircraftHandler79

Roadmaster wrote:
AircraftHandler79 wrote:

Thanx

How long is a piece of string?     smile

It's all down to personal circumstances, but the biggest expense is the car.   If you can afford to buy one, you have an asset if anything goes wrong.   Otherwise, you could  lease or rent one. 
The other main expense you have is advertising.   Of course that will depend on how you advertise.  A website is a must. 

You can run a business on a lot less than the 800 quid a month a franchise would cost.

Do you mean qualify as an ADI?  You are looking at anything between  6-18 months  to become an ADI.  If someone has told you that you can go through the whole process in 5 weeks they are as sane as Ian Brady.

Regarding renting/leasing a car you need to visit dealerships and discuss what the best deals are.  If you buy new, many dealers will offer free dual controls and servicing.

I have been on the website which offers this to service leavers & this is an extract:-

"Coming out of the Armed Forces can be a stressful experience, so the earlier you look into some form of future training the easier it becomes as you have something to aim for.
Clearway has worked hard to become a registered trainer for the MoD under the ELC (enhanced learning credit) scheme; this allows serving personnel and service leavers, (those that have been out of the forces for less than ten years) to have a portion of your fees paid for by the MoD.
Your first port of call is to go to your Army Education Centre and speak to your individual Resettlement Officer, who will guide you through the system of choosing a training provider, be sure you pick one who has registration under the ELC system to ensure your funding is available to you.
Flexible Training Programmes
We have two types of courses available to you the first is a standard course which will take you about 4 to 6 months depending on your availability for training, we will train around your requirements during this period to help you achieve your goal of becoming a driving instructor.
Our second course is a fast track course which is spread over a 5 week period which consists of 3 weeks training with a 2 week gap in between, this is ideal for serving personnel and those that are out of work with time on their hands.
The course fees are the same for both courses."

I would do the fast track one

#10 26-06-13 15:57:06

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I cannot understand how they can offer 3 tests within 5 weeks, (assuming you pass them first time).  Does anyone know if the forces have special arrangements with DSA?

#11 26-06-13 16:04:34

AircraftHandler79

This is not the Forces but a civilian company called 'Clearway School of Motoring Ltd'

#12 26-06-13 16:12:29

VandADI
Administrator

From what you are saying I think this is the company that is providing the training.
http://www.clearwaydrivingschool.co.uk/elcas.php

#13 26-06-13 16:13:11

AircraftHandler79

yes that is the one.

#14 26-06-13 17:36:07

kaf
Verified Member
Website

You know the old adage about, if it seems to be too good to be true........................................

Your chances of passing all three parts in five weeks are about as good as those of a snowball in hell.

Hell, the waiting list for part 2 alone is longer than that in most areas.

The advise from RM is good. ignore it at your peril.

#15 26-06-13 17:56:59

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

VandADI wrote:

From what you are saying I think this is the company that is providing the training.
http://www.clearwaydrivingschool.co.uk/elcas.php

This school is nothing to do with me just in case anyone is wondering! (apologies for what doubtless seems like a bizarre comment from left field AircraftHandler79, but there are several driving schools called Clearway and I run one...just not the one in question!)

While I'm here, can I echo what others have said because they're 100% right and I'll add the following:

The driver training industry has a HUGE excess of supply over demand (i.e. there are far more driving instructors wanting to supply driving lessons than there are learner drivers wanting to take driving lessons).

There are now around 46,651 Approved Driving Instructors in the UK whereas in 2003 there were 31,807. At the same time, the number of applications for provisional driving licences has decreased.

Passing all 3 tests in 5 weeks is pie in the sky. Has anyone told you the pass rates for each part or the qualifying process? I'm guessing not, so here's the latest figures I have:

Part 1 - Theory test: 50.5%

Part 2 - Test of driving ability: 53%

Part 3 - Test of instructional ability: 30%

This means that just over half of those who start training pass Part 1 and go on to Part 2

Of those that take Part 2, just over half pass and progress to Part 3

Of those that take part 3, one third pass and become qualified ADI's

You can see that compared to the number of people who start the process, very few actually qualify.

Please think long and hard before you decide to train as a driving instructor.

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#16 26-06-13 18:20:34

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Ahh, but you are quoting official figures loopy,  look at their claimed pass rates, and all completed, from start to finish,  within 70 hours:

Course Structure

Part one Theory

Two half day sessions in our purpose built training centre to cover all the theory and hazard perception training to ensure a first time pass.

Current pass rate 95%

Part two Practical Driving

Minimum of twenty hours in car tuition, to get your driving skills up to a standard to pass the driving test, we are looking at driving for a one hour period making no more than 6 minor faults, most people take around ten to fifteen hours to get to the standard required.

Pass rate 85%

Part three Teaching

A minimum of forty hours in car training, where your instructors will simulate different styles of drivers whilst committing driver errors, this will allow you to repair their driving faults using different teaching techniques, whilst at the same time ensure learning is taking place.

Pass rate 80%

How easy it is to be conned into parting with your hard earned!

Last edited by Roadmaster (26-06-13 18:26:18)

#17 26-06-13 18:40:26

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Good point RM!

Just to be clear, the figures I quote above are indeed the official figures from "the horse's mouth" i.e. the Driving Standards Agency  smile

To be precise they are from the Guide to the approved driving instructor register from the Driving Standards Agency.

I would strongly suggest that AircraftHandler79 (and anyone else considering ADI training) takes some time to read the above guide - it can be read in full here

Last edited by Loopy Lou (26-06-13 19:36:46)

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#18 26-06-13 19:21:47

AircraftHandler79

So if this was my career choice after the forces who would you recommend me training with as i'm living in Plymouth?

#19 26-06-13 20:00:22

Roadmaster
Verified Member

AircraftHandler79 wrote:

So if this was my career choice after the forces who would you recommend me training with as i'm living in Plymouth?

You need to do a local search for a trainer who offers one-to-one training (some trainers have up to 3 in the car), and does not want any up front fee.  They  don't have to be ordit registered to be good trainers.

#20 26-06-13 21:23:06

MAZ
Verified Member

Hi Aircrafthandler79:

Judging by your user name, I would suggest you would be better looking into the Aero industry, both my kids are in the aircraft industry, both are better paid and have better future prospects than I, even though I am doing very well in this business.

Maz.

#21 31-07-13 14:53:04

sofasurfer
Verified Member

AircraftHandler79,

Do not believe anyone who tells you that training and qualification can be crammed into 5 weeks, it is impossible. I started my training with BSM and passed all three exams at the first attempt, the entire process took about a year !

AA and BSM are the same company, don't believe anything they tell you about training as an ADI, they just want your money. This is an extremely bad time to start as an ADI but if you can make it through these hard times, you will do well when the economy picks up.

My advice to you is simple, if you have a mortgage and a family, this is not the job for you. It is particularly hard in Plymouth.

Board footer