You are not logged in.

#1 04-06-13 19:25:32

BDofNI
Website

Difference between Rospa and IAM?

Hi all,

I passed my advanced test last year with the IAM and I was thinking about doing the Rospa test.
Is it any different from what I did with the IAM test?

IAM Member

04-06-13 19:25:32

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Difference between Rospa and IAM?

#2 04-06-13 22:35:33

ralge
Verified Member

Both work off Roadcraft, the system ...
In an IAM test there's pass or fail.
In a RoSPA test, a pass is graded bronze, silver or gold (the highest).
Golds aren't given out without good reason.
Hence the widely accepted thought that an IAM pass mostly equates to a RoSPA Silver, creditable but not Gold.

The somewhat subjective boundary grades for the top RoSPA grades:
GOLD - this grade is the highest driving award.  It should be awarded only to the polished systematic driver, who displays a complete understanding and appropriate application of the principles outlined in Roadcraft.  The candidates performance must be consistent throughout the whole of the test and any significant lapses must result in a lower grade.  Awards of this grade must therefore be reserved for the very best drivers.

SILVER - this grade should be awarded to drivers who are well above the average.  These candidates will produce a consistently safe, acceptable and systematic drive but without the final polish, flair and smoothness of the Gold driver.  They will demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the system of advanced driving.  Candidates must be able to drive up to the permitted speed limits where it is safe to do so but vary speed according to circumstances and conditions.  It must be emphasised that Silver is an extremely high grade and a commendable achievement.

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 05-06-13 04:45:30

ralge
Verified Member

FS100 wrote:
BDofNI wrote:

Hi all,

I passed my advanced test last year with the IAM and I was thinking about doing the Rospa test.

There is no difference. As far as I can tell they are both worthless.

That's harsh - can you explain why you think that?
Or should I withdraw and put my flak helmet on?
It's not all rosy in the AD camp.  I've fallen out in the past with the "toys and boys" AD clubbiness and been slated by the boys.
Nor or it all rosy in the DSA/ADI camp.
I'm in both camps and can't believe the animosity and heat that exists between them.
Surely, extending the width and depth of our understanding of the driving task and extending our skill set at the steering wheel is good and not something that ought to be described as "worthless".

Having gone down an AD route myself (and improved my defensive, Eco skillset at the same time as well as in parallel), I have greater experience, more knowledge, more choices.  I can't say which bit of this is better or best.  It's just more and "more" is better, surely, not worthless.

There are also huge overlaps in the attributes of an advanced, defensive and ecosafe driver and the differences in style between "DSA" and AD have lessened over time. The biggest distinction that is drawn between the two is often in the minds and egos of the two camps and that (human nature) isn't likely to change any time soon.

Last edited by ralge (05-06-13 05:34:57)

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 05-06-13 05:07:24

RobC
Verified Member
Website

FS100 wrote:
BDofNI wrote:

Hi all,

IAM now has a F1RST which is their equivalent to the ROPSA Gold. I would say that either IAM or RoSPA are well worth doing for the average driver who hasnt received any training since passing their test (and probably wouldnt pass a learner test) and useful CPD and experience for an ADI who should already be driving at an 'advanced' level. Personally I enjoy driving for test and found their interpretation of signaling and positioning is interesting and feel Its also good for an ADIs skills to be tested.

My only problem is that some advanced drivers think they are more advanced than they actually are and have an 'advanced' attitude. One 'advanced' thing I learnt was to give a courtesy signal with my left hand because its more visible that the right hand roll

Last edited by RobC (05-06-13 05:20:26)

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#5 05-06-13 05:46:47

ralge
Verified Member

RobC wrote:
FS100 wrote:
BDofNI wrote:

Hi all,

IAM now has a F1RST which is their equivalent to the ROPSA Gold. I would say that either IAM or RoSPA are well worth doing for the average driver who hasnt received any training since passing their test (and probably wouldnt pass a learner test) and useful CPD and experience for an ADI who should already be driving at an 'advanced' level. Personally I enjoy driving for test and found their interpretation of signaling and positioning is interesting and feel Its also good for an ADIs skills to be tested.

My only problem is that some advanced drivers think they are more advanced than they actually are and have an 'advanced' attitude. One 'advanced' thing I learnt was to give a courtesy signal with my left hand because its more visible that the right hand roll

You have hit on a brilliant idea for a thread on here.
"One thing I learnt today".
We all learn from different sources, some from CPD, some from colleagues and betters, some from books, interest ...
We could share "it" or keep it to ourselves.

#6 05-06-13 07:26:35

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ralge

Another 'thing I learnt today' though some time ago from RoSPA was to sound my horn twice on blind bends and on hump back bridges.

I was told that if I only sounded my horn once and another vehicle sounded their horn once at the same time I wouldnt hear it, to which my reply was 'what if another RoSPA member was approaching the other way, would I sound my horn three times?  big_smile

Last edited by RobC (05-06-13 07:27:35)

#7 05-06-13 08:15:04

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I'm planning on doing my IAM soon, just to give it a go. I read 'Roadcraft' earlier this year.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#8 05-06-13 08:56:11

(ROG)
Verified Member

robcooling wrote:

I'm planning on doing my IAM soon, just to give it a go. I read 'Roadcraft' earlier this year.

Nottingham group have a good rep but in case you do get an observer with and agenda then ask for another one

If you live in south Notts close to Leics then you could opt to go with my group = Leicester .... but that means you might get ME !!!

There are no fixed rules for advanced driving so if another says there is then ask to see where they are written

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#9 05-06-13 14:11:30

(ROG)
Verified Member

The differences are generally in the styles of driving

Learners are generally taught a basic safe set of 'rules' to drive by which gets them from A to B safely

Advanced tends to go to the edge of those basic rules

One very simple example might be taking a left hand bend ...
Learner is likely to be trained to keep in the centre of their lane and slow down for the vision that gives
Advanced is likely to be just inside the centre line as it gives more vision and therefore a greater safe speed = a little more progress

I suppose one could say that advanced is a progression after learning the basic way

I have had ADIs as associates and have seen both the basic DSA style mixed with the AD style in one drive

IAM Observer

#10 05-06-13 14:45:49

ralge
Verified Member

FS100 wrote:

ralge "That's harsh - can you explain why you think that?"

For the reasons you give. All you hear from both camps is that (my driving is better than yours). If either of them can claim to be a better standard of driving why haven't they been adopted as THE standard? How can you raise standards when you can't agree which STANDARD is the correct one to teach. So now we have 3 standards IAM, Rospa and ADI. Or have I missed one out? So............

1. What advantages do either IAM or Rospa offer?
2. Is either of them advanced or just different?
3. If they are advanced why don't ADI's teach it?
4. If they are different whats the point

Roadcraft is the bible, the system is the standard, RoSPA Gold is a drive that has been marked more harshly (and given the credit) than an IAM pass.  My local RoSPA ex. is also the local IAM ex. as it happens so I've had that conversation. With polish, flair and smoothness, of course, an IAM pass on the day could be equivalent to a RoSPA Gold drive.
1. higher driving standards bring lower risk, lower stress levels, more understanding, more control of events, greater enjoyment at the wheel ...
2. ROSPA Gold, as above, and perhaps contentiously, is a standard beyond an average IAM pass. As has been said, RoSPA is re-tested mandatorily every 3 years.  IAM isn't necessarily so there isn't the pressure to maintain the standard, arguably.
3. ADI's do teach it. I have not taught MSMPSL for a long while preferring, in particular, the more expressive Info' TUG part of the "system" since it suggests a reflective competence at the wheel that seeks to communicate effectively with other road users, to be predictable, to take on board hazards and have the beginnings of a plan to deal with them.

#11 08-06-13 19:18:56

Jon Meddings
Verified Member

BDofNI wrote:

Hi all,

Drive the way you did for the IAM and you'll pass the RoSPA.

I've trained for both tests and the way you need to drive is no different. As said by others, a Gold pass will require a high standard of driving, but can be easily attained if you've kept developing your driving since passing the IAM or with a bit of training.

Jon

Full time employed Fleet/Advanced driver Trainer

#12 08-06-13 20:04:07

kaf
Verified Member
Website

FS100 wrote:

ralge "That's harsh - can you explain why you think that?"

For the reasons you give. All you hear from both camps is that (my driving is better than yours). If either of them can claim to be a better standard of driving why haven't they been adopted as THE standard? How can you raise standards when you can't agree which STANDARD is the correct one to teach. So now we have 3 standards IAM, Rospa and ADI. Or have I missed one out? So............

Different exam boards test at gcse and A level, same standard, different testers. At least there is competition at AD level, not like the DSA.

To say they are worthless, frankly shows a lack,of understanding.

Many observers are highly trained police advanced drivers with years of driving training and experience.
Their observations on a persons driving are geared to get them to,reflect on the skills they have and their attitudes.

They can explain and demonstrate how safety levels can be improved. Much advanced training ends up being around how to make better observations, anticipate and plan ahead, so reducing risk.

We all.know most drivers show a lack of skill in these areas, so not sure how it can be worthless. Did you think the same of your part 2 training?

But each to,their own opinion.

Last edited by kaf (08-06-13 20:05:05)

#13 08-06-13 21:46:21

brod
Banned

FS100 wrote:

So now we have 3 standards IAM, Rospa and ADI. Or have I missed one out? So............

I would think the difference here is; the ADI test is a third of the way to becoming an ADI and needs to meet a criteria rather than a standard (though you could say it is the same thing).
The others, IAM and ROSPA (whilst I am not the biggest fan of these 2 tests) are voluntary and are completed by those drivers who are committed to improving there own driving skills and these people should be praised for wanting to do so, as should the IAM and ROSPA volunteers.

Now just to throw a spanner in the works!! which test is the hardest to pass and requires more skills;)?

#14 09-06-13 00:30:19

ralge
Verified Member

brod wrote:
FS100 wrote:

So now we have 3 standards IAM, Rospa and ADI. Or have I missed one out? So............

I would think the difference here is; the ADI test is a third of the way to becoming an ADI and needs to meet a criteria rather than a standard (though you could say it is the same thing).
The others, IAM and ROSPA (whilst I am not the biggest fan of these 2 tests) are voluntary and are completed by those drivers who are committed to improving there own driving skills and these people should be praised for wanting to do so, as should the IAM and ROSPA volunteers.

Now just to throw a spanner in the works!! which test is the hardest to pass and requires more skills;)?

As has been written above, a pass at IAM is a pass at RoSPA and vice versa.
A RoSPA Gold grade pass is known to be harder to obtain than an IAM pass, though.
And I'm sure there is consistency since, in my area for instance, the IAM examiner is also the RoSPA examiner.

#15 09-06-13 06:40:51

RobC
Verified Member
Website

brod wrote:

FS100 wrote:

Good driving only has one standard and all three are therefore the same standard apart from RoSPA and IAM have minor differences in positioning and signalling.

RoSPA Gold and an IAM F1rst probably require the same skills.

#16 09-06-13 07:59:06

martin Williams
Verified Member

Is there a diference in the cost of both courses and yearly fees?

Last edited by martin Williams (09-06-13 07:59:44)

#17 09-06-13 08:18:13

ralge
Verified Member

i might be a little out-of-date but the RoSPA route involves (+\-)
- small annual fee (10?) to join a local Roadar group plus your time, vehicle and fuel for any observed drives
- 45 (still the case?) for first test and first year's national subscription to Roadar
- 25 annual membership thereafter and 3-yearly retested for 0

IAM - 100+ for AD (12-week) course and test without re-testing fee 'cos there is no re-test unless you fancy it.
Cost for IAM First unknown to me.

Others should feel free to correct and update me.

#18 09-06-13 09:12:26

RobC
Verified Member
Website

IAM is currently 139 for the skills for life package, including a years membership and IAM book and test. It went up from 89 about 10 years ago a big jump at the time. Once qualified yearly IAM membership is 34.50 per year.

IAM F1rst cost the same its just a high grade IAM pass, similar to RoSPA Gold. Police Advanced and response drivers/riders automatically qualify for IAM F1rst membership.

Last edited by RobC (09-06-13 09:23:25)

#19 15-06-13 19:16:01

ExAdiNigel

FS100 wrote:

So now we have 3 standards IAM, Rospa and ADI. Or have I missed one out?

HPC?

FS100 wrote:

An opportunity to have your driving assessed with regard to how safe you are.

FS100 wrote:

I would say just different, though questions will be asked that may help you question your attitude and why you do or shoud do sme thngs.

FS100 wrote:

Many do, depends on whether they have undertaken IAM or RoSPA training.  I certainly did, particularly the Limit Point for addressing bends and positioning on single track roads.

FS100 wrote:

As per my comments for (2).

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#20 09-03-14 17:03:50

russchaplin2410
Verified Member
Website

Nobody ever seems to mention the Diamond advanced and Special tests which is a bit of a mystery to me. In the booklet given out to learner drivers upon passing their test both IAM and RoSPA are mentioned but not Diamond Advanced Motorists. The system used for marking is the same as the DSA system just taken to the highest level with the Special test requiring an almost perfect drive. Perhaps the DIA ought to try and push the test more into the public domain.

I'm Russ Chaplin. I teach driving in the Nottingham area. I am also a driving instructor trainer. visit me at driving lessons Nottingham

#21 09-03-14 18:11:47

sofasurfer
Verified Member

I also think they are a waste of time, do these qualifications boost your profit ? Not in my opinion.

#22 09-03-14 18:57:57

ralge
Verified Member

sofasurfer wrote:

I also think they are a waste of time, do these qualifications boost your profit ? Not in my opinion.

They do if you rely on them for work, as is the case with me.
They cannot be seen as a waste of time if they improve a driver's standard of driving.
This is entirely subjective and down to the individual but I KNOW that my Part 2 drive was wet behind the ears as was my fleet Part2.  My route to Gold via two silvers (and then my Diploma in particular) transformed my driving.
So absolutely not a waste of time for me or my single remaining pupil.

Last edited by ralge (09-03-14 18:59:55)

#23 12-03-14 07:27:48

(ROG)
Verified Member

What are the cost differences between DIAmond, IAM and Rospa ?

IAM Observer

#24 12-03-14 16:53:30

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
I believe IAM require you to take training through their groups Gizmotime could tell you more accurately, see this thread http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/vi … p?id=42733.
I'm not sure about test costs for Diamond but for Rospa I just bought Roadcraft, paid for my first test, didn't bother with a local group, not sure what that was back in around 2000 and then all 3 yearly retests are included in you £20 annual membership.

Last edited by pegasus (12-03-14 16:57:08)

#25 12-03-14 20:04:35

Driver99

(ROG) wrote:

What are the cost differences between DIAmond, IAM and Rospa ?

From their websites:

IAM. 
£139 (local Groups might discount £10) - membership of national and local Group for one year; "How to be a better driver" book; observed drives, Test.
£95 - Test and one year's membership of national organisation.  No local Group involvement/drives.

Annual membership of national organisation £32 by D/D or £34.50 cheque.  No free re-test.

RoADAR.
£51 Test (over 25 years old) and membership of national organisation for a year.
Local Groups vary with joining cost, depending if they supply books (Roadcraft/HC) and also provide observed drives, but you don't have to go for a test (which is paid for separately).  Group costs seem to be about £20-40 a year for membership with observing, and about £10-20 a year for ongoing membership.

Annual membership of national organisation £23, which includes a free re-test every three years.

DIAmond.
£78 Advanced Test - 60 minutes test based on DVSA standard - less than seven Driving Faults is a pass.
£125 - Special Test - 90 minutes test based on DVSA standard - less than three Driving Faults is a pass. (3-6 DFs and you get an Advanced Pass instead)

These prices are test only - DIA recommends tuition with DIAmond advanced instructor.

Board footer