You are not logged in.

#1 10-05-13 16:19:00

Ryan81

Need ADI training buddy near St. Albans

Hi everyone

Just registered today and I'm on Part 3 of my ADI course.

I've had 40 hours formal training which was excellent but now I need a training buddy that I can practice on, particularly the phase 1 stuff.

I've asked my instructor if he knows anyone I can practice with but no one seems interested, probably because they are based in North London and I'm in Herts.

Ideally, I'm looking to work with someone a couple of days a week, perhaps a couple of hours each time.

Just a few q's on the phase 1 & 2:

If, for example, I end up doing Approaching Junctions on my phase 1, will I give instruction first while stationary, then move on to guided while the car is moving (once) and then prompted (once) to see if learning has taken place and end with the summary? Will I be doing left & right turns and if so, will the examiner quietly let me know and say something like "I want you to now teach me how to approach a junction on the right" ?

As for the phase 2, if I'm doing for instance reverse parking, if they make a mistake (for example, they don't look over their right shoulder down the road when the front of the car swings out) would I say to them "Ok, stop there" or would I let them do the manoeuvre and stop them at the end? Also, would I then say "Let's try that again" i.e. from the very beginning of the manoeuvre or not? How would you guide them and prompt them all within 30 minutes??? sad

Thanks

10-05-13 16:19:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Need ADI training buddy near St. Albans

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 10-05-13 18:29:56

Evan
Administrator

Have a look at these they may help you:

http://www.gradesixsupplies.com/adi-and … ompt-cards

smile

#3 10-05-13 20:08:03

Ryan81

Thanks Evan  smile

What I don't understand is how you're supposed to prompt them with a load of questions while on the move?

For example, if you're doing emerging at junctions, how do you ask them "Which mirrors should we check? What signal should we give? How should we position the car? What speed should we be doing? What gear should we be in? Where should we look? Where should we stop? Is it an open/closed junction" while ALSO asking them the WHY's after every question? If the car is moving, I don't see how you have enough time to ask all these questions....

Oh, and not forgetting, how should we position the car when turning left and right?  roll

Last edited by Ryan81 (10-05-13 20:08:58)

#4 10-05-13 20:30:21

Evan
Administrator

Phase one brief then teach.

Junctions left and right
Brief the pupil/SE on what you are going to teach, then talk them through it, you never want to fire a lot of questions at a pupil on the move, particularly not on phase 1 of a part 3 or when you are teaching a new subject to a pupil.

Phase 2

They will have done junctions before, so you can then ask which mirrors, signal, position, speed gear, look etc and establish their understanding. Then get them to drive and watch for sequence of events and correct as necessary.

Try not to get the phases for part 3 confused it takes time to get your head around them. The cards above break it down for you so they are worth buying.
Also remember the PST's are for the examiner on a part 3 it's different with a pupil in the real world of teaching.

Last edited by Evan (10-05-13 20:34:34)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 11-05-13 16:14:04

Ryan81

Evan wrote:

Phase one brief then teach.

Junctions left and right
Brief the pupil/SE on what you are going to teach, then talk them through it, you never want to fire a lot of questions at a pupil on the move, particularly not on phase 1 of a part 3 or when you are teaching a new subject to a pupil.

Phase 2

They will have done junctions before, so you can then ask which mirrors, signal, position, speed gear, look etc and establish their understanding. Then get them to drive and watch for sequence of events and correct as necessary.

Try not to get the phases for part 3 confused it takes time to get your head around them. The cards above break it down for you so they are worth buying.
Also remember the PST's are for the examiner on a part 3 it's different with a pupil in the real world of teaching.

Thanks Evan smile

So, on the Phase 2, before we drive off, I will ask them the prompting questions to establish if they have knowledge and understanding of the subject matter? So I would ask them about the MSPSL routine while stationary and then get them to drive on and see what they may be doing wrong in practice and then correct them?

But how would it work on say a reverse park? Because there I would have to ask quite a few questions and if they do something wrong, would I stop them and ask them there and then what we should do and let them carry out the remaining part of the manoeuvre before summarising at the side of the road? 

So for Phase 1, it's literally explaining to them in detail while stationary and then guiding them through the process? Once I've guided them through it, would I simply say "Ok, now I'd like you to pull up in a safe and convenient place on the left" and summarise what we just did?

I bought the prompt cards, thanks for that smile
BTW, what are PSTs?

#6 11-05-13 18:53:00

Evan
Administrator

Pre set tests, I would work on phase 1 first then phase 2 will make more sense

Last edited by Evan (11-05-13 18:53:36)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 12-05-13 08:39:29

ratty

Ryan81 wrote:

Hi everyone

I've had 40 hours formal training which was excellent but now I need a training buddy that I can practice on, particularly the phase 1 stuff.

I've asked my instructor if he knows anyone I can practice with but no one seems interested, probably because they are based in North London and I'm in Herts.

Ideally, I'm looking to work with someone a couple of days a week, perhaps a couple of hours each time.

Thanks

Are you looking for someone who will give up their time voluntarily or are you prepared to pay for their time?

#8 12-05-13 18:55:07

Ryan81

ratty wrote:
Ryan81 wrote:

Hi everyone

Thanks

Are you looking for someone who will give up their time voluntarily or are you prepared to pay for their time?

Ideally, I'm looking for someone like me who is working on their part 3 where it would be in both of our interests to practice on each other without paying but it all really depends on what the person would be charging if I were to pay.
Unfortunately, I don't have too much spare cash at the moment and I've already paid 1200 for the 40 hours training. I could ask my instructor but a) he's very busy teaching at the moment and b) it would cost 30 p/h and so I may be able to do a couple of hours a week but that's all. He recommended doing between 6-8 hours a week and financially that's too much for me.

#9 12-05-13 19:55:50

Evan
Administrator

One bit of advice, if you go with a training buddy you need supervision or you could end up doing things wrong. I am not going to get into "who's the best trainer" type of discussion, but I will just say that if you look at the statistics the pass rate for part 3 is not good. You need to know your stuff, you have committed a fair sum of money, without putting too fine a point on it you may well have to pay more to pass your part 3.

I am a little surprised you didn't know what a PST is. Take time with your study, learn digest, learn again. Above all be ready when you go for your part 3 test, get assessed before you take it, there are plenty of horror stories out there, don't become a statistic.

To be honest not just any ADI can train a person to be an instructor, it takes a fair bit of experience, and you have to know what you are doing, Good Instructor trainers charge a lot, but these are the people who get the results.

When I was training, I went to the test centre, and spoke to one of the SE's who conduct the part 3 tests,  that may be worth doing to get some impartial advice.

Last edited by Evan (12-05-13 20:19:27)

#10 13-05-13 09:11:38

Ryan81

Like I said Evan, my biggest problem at the moment is not having anyone to practice on. This week I'm going to go out with my Dad and do the fault ID/analysis/remedial action stuff but again, that's mainly phase 2.

#11 14-05-13 19:31:08

Ryan81

Again, if anyone is interested I wouldn't mind paying a qualified instructor or any other type of training partner 10-15 p/h but 30 p/h is definately too much for me so if anyone is interested, please let me know.

#12 14-05-13 20:42:23

martin Williams
Verified Member

Ryan81 wrote:

Again, if anyone is interested I wouldn't mind paying a qualified instructor or any other type of training partner 10-15 p/h but 30 p/h is definately too much for me so if anyone is interested, please let me know.

To be honest you really have no chance of any ADI of teaching you for 10-15 p/h.  An ADIs overheads run at between 6 and 15 an hr depending what car they have and if they are independent or with a national school, and thats before you add on the 1000s they have spent on their own training to become an ADI. Also a 1hr lesson is more like 90 minutes work for an ADI with travel and preperation work at home.

Last edited by martin Williams (14-05-13 20:44:38)

#13 15-05-13 16:28:31

Ryan81

Thanks, Martin. In that case, I'll perhaps wait and see if I get a response from a part 3 pupil in my area and maybe we can hook up a couple of times a week. If not, I'll check out some more websites before I commit to paying 30 p/h. I'm in no way questioning the qualifications or competency of those ADI's charging that much (I'm sure most know their stuff) but I'd like to see if there are cheaper options first.

#14 15-05-13 19:52:53

Evan
Administrator

Ryan I want you to save your last post and read it back to yourself when you qualify and pupils are phoning you for lesson, read your post when you are trying to explain why you can't do lessons for 10 quid an hour like other instructors because you insist on doing things properly and that costs money and you cannot run your car and pay yourself a wage for such a low fee.

Last edited by Evan (15-05-13 19:53:54)

#15 16-05-13 13:43:57

Ryan81

Evan, I'm sure you'll agree though that most people shop around before deciding to commit to a particular product or service....? smile

#16 16-05-13 15:46:09

Evan
Administrator

Sure do but as I said earlier in the thread you have committed a chunk of money for training don't risk losing it by not carrying on with quality training go through the boards here and read the accounts from other trainees.

#17 17-05-13 12:35:10

Ryan81

I'm certainly going to continue with it, Evan. Not just because of the money but also because I've enjoyed the training and have enjoyed the course. I'm not sure though how I'm going to find a Part 3 trainee like myself who I can practice with. Naturally, before I take my exam, I'll make sure I'm assessed by my instructor but until then I need to find a training partner somehow. I've checked out the web and there doesn't seem to be much....

Board footer