You are not logged in.

#1 13-04-13 09:06:10

big dog

Cardington Special test

Does anyone have any experience of this and can they tell me how it is comparing in its requirements to ROSPA, IAM and DIAmond? Thanks in advance.

Grade 6 DSA Instructor, ROSPA Gold, IAM First, DIAmond Special Test, ORDIT registered

13-04-13 09:06:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Cardington Special test

#2 13-04-13 11:41:54

Terrier
Banned

Yes I've taken it, although it's changed slightly since I did it. When I took it we were only allowed 2 driving faults and not in the same box, there was no E.stop or bay parking. You are now allowed 3 faults and it includes the e.stop. You are only issued with a certificate if it's a grade A pass, it follows a similar pattern to part 2 but at a much higher standard is required.

When I took it there was no link to IAM or RoSPA test, although as we know the two systems are not miles apart. I would use the essential skills as a guide to the system rather than roadcraft, because that's what the examiners are looking for. I went to Cardington for mine and the routes were around Bedford and Northhampton, but I believe they conduct the test at selected test centres now, but I'm not sure if this has changed.

The examiners who conduct the test at Cardington are staff instructors who train examiners and in my opinion they seem far more professional than examiners out in the field. It's worth having an hour or two with someone who has taken it because of the high standard required.

Good luck if you take it.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#3 13-04-13 14:58:25

big dog

Thanks Terrier. Do you know how they want you to signal. Is it ROSPA/IAM signal as necessary?  Or is it Learners/PART 2 where they are not too worried if you are signalling and nobody is around? Also on the bends do they want you going slower than on a Roadcraft test? Also would you know of how I would be able to do some training with someone who has taken it? I am based in London. Many thanks.

Last edited by big dog (13-04-13 15:19:07)

Grade 6 DSA Instructor, ROSPA Gold, IAM First, DIAmond Special Test, ORDIT registered

#4 13-04-13 16:42:57

Terrier
Banned

I would keep within the same techniques of part 2 for signalling, in other words where necessary. DSA will accept a central position for approaching a left bend but not out to the centre line and of course well to the left for right hand bends.

I don't really know anyone in the London area for an assessment because I'm in Manchester, but I'm sure you will find someone on the internet on adi training sites. If I find anyone I'll send you a pm.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#5 13-04-13 17:46:59

big dog

Thanks Terrier. With regards to speed on the bends. I have heard it is a slightly tamer drive expected than on Roadcraft tests. Would I slow it down from what I did on my ROSPA/IAM tests? Also when you say a much higher standard is required do you mean that  it is a 3 fault part 2 over 90 minutes and that is why the standard is higher than Part 2 or do you mean the grading and assessment of faults is that much more severe and so a 3 fault drive on the cardington is different to a 3 fault drive at part 2 even if part 2 were over 90 mins?

Last edited by big dog (13-04-13 17:57:47)

Board footer