You are not logged in.

#1 12-03-13 22:24:07

MAZ
Verified Member

Ahead!!

Ahead, a strange word, but used by DSA examiners giving directions.

I have seen many pupils confused by its use particularly ENFL pupils.

How many times do we see signs on the road stating “Road Ahead Closed” only to find the offending road is a side road to the left or right, and not directly in front as one might expect?

I tend to use it after the word “straight” as in “Straight Ahead”, but have started using it on its own, as at one T/C examiners tend to use it often.

I was wondering if any others have found it causing confusion.

MAZ.

12-03-13 22:24:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Ahead!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 13-03-13 05:42:50

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

A trainee instructor down here asked his pupil to "go straight ahead" at a roundabout, so she did - luckily the centre island was low and didn't have any flora or furniture.

With roundabouts in mind, how does "continue ahead" sound to you?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#3 13-03-13 07:30:46

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

When training I was told to say "ahead" not "straight" as straight implies there is no steering involved, you don't go straight over a roundabout. Apparently "ahead" is clearer... I'm not convinced as this is my experience :

Me : "Continue ahead at the roundabout"
Pupil : "Do you mean straight?"
Me : "Yeah, straight on at the roundabout."

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#4 13-03-13 08:08:18

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

I taught a young Bangladeshi chap and whenever I said "Follow the road ahead", he would come back with "Straight away?".  Even saying "Yes, straight ahead" never cured him of the problem...  smile

#5 13-03-13 08:16:08

driverpete
Verified Member

I've always used "Follow the road ahead" as (I believe) it encourages the pupil to think about where they should be going (road markings, etc.). As they become more advanced I get them used to the idea that if I don't give a direction they follow the road ahead or wherever signs/road markings dictate (again, getting them used to making their own decisions).

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#6 13-03-13 16:55:24

Dave789
Website

The people that I teach usually come from another country, where they have often already done some driving before.

When I say "straight ahead" they can look a little unsure, since there are often different procedures in there own country. For example Polish people have told me that they treat all junctions in the same way we would treat unmarked junctions (getting eye contact, looking at the position and movement of the other cars) to decide who goes first. Although I will guide and prompt, force of habit will mean it takes a little while for them to pick it up.

Often I will say "straight ahead", and follow up with: "that car is behind the give way line he should give way to you, you have priority unless he does something dangerous" (bit of a mouthful).

I often say something similar about bends. "Straight ahead" can sound simple. However, when you look at it from the point of view of a foreign driver, looking at the road in front behind the give way line, as the centre line of the road we are in curves for the bend it is not so simple.www.driver-training-direct.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 15-03-13 10:51:06

Ideal Driver
Website

Zipper wrote:

A trainee instructor down here asked his pupil to "go straight ahead" at a roundabout, so she did - luckily the centre island was low and didn't have any flora or furniture.

With roundabouts in mind, how does "continue ahead" sound to you?

Ive heard of this and not just in the learning, it happened in our town quite some years back and it was a french man driving, stopped for directions, later his car was in the middle of the hedge in the city centre roundabout

#8 15-03-13 23:55:42

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

The one I find get most confused is "take the next turning..."
We all get at some point "what? this one?"
After all, when we say next weekend for example, we tend to mean the one after "this weekend". Next week is always the one after this week.

Board footer