You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 07-03-13 16:57:59

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Check Test Report - Grade 5

My report on my check test is overdue...so here it is. smile

I chose to do Parallel/Reverse Parking primarily because I had scored very well on my part III with the same subject.  My pupil had 19 hours under her belt and is probably one of the best drivers I have ever taught.  I knew that she wouldn't screw up on the drive to the location for the lesson subject forcing me to change subject.  This was important to me and was one of the reasons that I chose her.  It cost me two free lessons - totally worth it in my book!

So, the thing that caught me out and could probably have prevented me getting a 5 was the complete lack of preparation in terms of a recap.  I don't follow the recommended DSA structure very strictly all the time and had spent the previous couple of lessons making sure that my pupil's driving was up to scratch.  This made the lessons rather bitty and without strong substance which in turn made the recap on the check test more difficult.  It is highly likely that I screwed up and have no doubt that I will now be incurring the critical wrath of some of the readers of this report.   

I scrabbled something together for the recap and thus gave the examiner some issues on which to examine me.  Unfortunately when I started the lesson I didn't ask enough questions for the recap.  This was entirely down to the lack of preparation andthe fact that actually I had nothing substantial on which to base my recap.  We headed off with me very much thinking that I had seriously f****d up and I could see my grade disappearing down the proverbial. 

I had chosen a site which was fairly close to the test centre deliberately avoiding any really tricky road situations.  My pupil drove it admirably making just a couple of errors which I corrected using core competencies.  Arrived at site and gave a short and sweet briefing on the manoeuvre, guiding her through it the first time, prompting the second and third times.  Of course, as is typical in these situations, we had just completed the first one and ended up in front of someone's drive, albeit momentarily, and as I am trying to recap on the manoeuvre just performed, the owner of the drive turned up and wanted to go in.  Rather than force my pupil to reverse out of the way, I took control and moved us back a bit...right in front of a pathway along which a woman with children in tow then wandered.  So I had to reverse again...  I complained out loud about the way in which this always seems to happen to me - we had a laugh, completed the recap and moved on to find another car.

By now I was fearing the worst, that I had really screwed up and my career as an instructor was over.  Did I mention that I'm a pessimist? 

We did a few PP's changing target cars as necessary, back to the test centre absolutely on time, a short summary and that was it.

So, on to the debrief.  The pupil disappeared in to the test centre, examiner climbed in the front.  His report was packed with writing that was so small it was completely illegible to me.  There were ticks that I thought were bad news and ticks that I thought might be okay.  There was no grading - very sensible on reflection! 

Generally he liked the lesson.  The route was appropriate and the target cars well chosen - he didn't mention my reversing!  Said that I missed a few opportunities to do the manoeuvre elsewhere.  Said that although I talked lots about observations, I didn't emphasise looking over shoulders at the pavement!  Don't know why I missed that.  CC was fine.  My recap was a little weak (as per my thoughts above) but the summary was fine.  Then he said that it all added up to a 5 - after which I didn't listen to anything he said as my heart was doing loop-the-loop and my head had mysteriously transported itself into the following week.  big_smile

I discussed with him the inconvenience of carrying out a check test in a location that I do not know well at all.  Apparently I could have requested it at my local test centre but I wouldn't have got him as examiner - and I like him and we get on well.  This is something I will have to think about next time.

Conclusions

1.  I manipulated the system to pass my checktest.  Whilst I achieved what I wanted, I am not convinced that my manipulation was ultimately that beneficial.
2.  How anyone ever gets a 6 is beyond me
3.  I changed.  My style of instruction was different than normal.  I was certainly more stressed and uptight.
4.  Teaching in an area you don't know is not a good idea.
5.  Your pupil will change so pick someone who isn't likely to change very much.
6.  Make sure your recap is solid!

There is another issue that this experience has raised but I don't feel that it is appropriate to talk about that here so I will post elsewhere.

I hope the above helps someone else.

07-03-13 16:57:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check Test Report - Grade 5

#2 07-03-13 17:49:58

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Well done! I dont think you manipulated the system, as far as Im concerned the check test isnt a real lesson anyway and if you had wanted to manipulate you could have 'staged' the recap, Im sure you wouldnt be the first!

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#3 07-03-13 18:30:21

whodareswins
Verified Member

Where did you do your check test LH?
Who was the SE?

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 07-03-13 19:06:22

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

whodareswins wrote:

Where did you do your check test LH?
Who was the SE?

Maidstone - Lynton Adams

#5 07-03-13 21:39:34

whodareswins
Verified Member

Good for you. Lynton is a good guy. (Had him on my Part 3).

Well done on the grade.

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#6 07-03-13 21:57:27

MAZ
Verified Member

Well done Lady H!! smile

Maz.

#7 08-03-13 22:02:07

The Duke

Don't worry  I alway make up the check test lesson on the fly. The more I plan the lower the grade.
Have 5 at moment, got within a box of a perfect 6.

#8 09-03-13 07:25:03

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Well done, that's brilliant ;-)

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

Board footer