You are not logged in.

#1 12-02-13 22:16:25

HGV Hopeful

HGV Hopeful looking for information

Hello All,

I am looking for information on HGV training and employment. First I think it would be good to give some background information. I do not currently hold a car driving licence. I have managed to come into some money and I am looking for a change of careers. I work in offices and I cannot get above minimum wage despite ten years experience in insruance and working in banks etc. I unfortunately wasted 6 years of my life on college and a uni education that is been useless in getting me a worthwhile career.

I am now looking to pass my driving test in the next few months. After that I am interested in getting my class C, Class C+E and PCV. I am looking at pursuing a local company intensive driving course that includes these three.

Can I ask, is it viable to start HGV training so soon after completing a car driving licence ? Would my career prospects in HGV driving be more optimistic with all three licences above ?

Does anyone have any pertinent advice for me ? I am really looking for a bit of guidence and I would really appreciate your sentiments.

thanks

Sean  big_smile

12-02-13 22:16:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: HGV Hopeful looking for information

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 12-02-13 22:31:19

MAZ
Verified Member

Chevronjohn covers all the groups you enquire about, he is a regular on this forum, and will no doubt be able to give some advice. His website is :
http://www.chevrontraining.co.uk

Maz.

#3 12-02-13 22:42:02

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Pass your driving test first - don't run before you can walk - the LGV tests are not easy but will can be passed with good tuition and preparation by good trainers.  There is no guarantee of work for LGV licence holders although of course, good drivers will always be in work, start at the beginning, get your car test done, then worry about the rest of it!

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#4 13-02-13 08:57:55

(ROG)
Verified Member

At age 18 you could take and pass the car test, the LGV C test and then the LGV C+E test

The biggest employment problems will be ....
Being under age 25 because many company insurers will not touch you
Not having X amount, usually 2 years, of experience or holding the relevant categories

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#5 13-02-13 09:00:30

(ROG)
Verified Member

For the LGV you are looking about 2.5 to 3K to get both C and CE

Never pay any money until you have at least visited the LGV training company of your choice

There are lots of brokers or middlemen out there waiting to take money from you for doing virtually nothing

IAM Observer

#6 13-02-13 20:10:47

HGV Hopeful

Thanks very much for the replies everyone. I am 29 years of age and will likely be 30 when I obtain my HGV licence. I have looked at prices for intensive courses, and fortunately money is not an issue for me.

I am just worried about spending 3 or 4 k and not being able to find work. But I am going to go for it, I am also considering doing oilrig courses as I have family working in the oilefield and this industry is currently booming.

Due to my age do you think this would be an asset in finding work HGV driving ?

What would be the best way to go about it once I finished my licence ? Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea how much I could be earning >

Thanks again everyone

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 13-02-13 20:11:54

HGV Hopeful

(ROG) wrote:

For the LGV you are looking about 2.5 to 3K to get both C and CE

Never pay any money until you have at least visited the LGV training company of your choice

There are lots of brokers or middlemen out there waiting to take money from you for doing virtually nothing

Thanks I will definately do that? I also want to go for the PCV, can you hold both licenses at once ?

#8 14-02-13 07:39:42

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Yes you can hold bus and lorry licences at the same time.

You should expect to earn 8 to 9 per hour driving a bus or lorry. Higher rates are available.

Due to working time and drivers hours regulations your working hours are limited which can limit your earning potential. You are required to take rest days and you cannot do another job on a rest day.

If you can get into the oil industry that would be a better option in my opinion.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#9 14-02-13 10:38:16

(ROG)
Verified Member

I was aged 29/30 when I got my HGV Class 1 (now LGV CE) but at that time there were more jobs than drivers - now its the other way around with many experienced ones out of work so emplyers/agencies can be picky

Paying more than about 50 for a medical means you got fleeced

D2 form - tick C and D boxes only so it covers you for LGV and PCV and does not confuse DVLA

IAM Observer

#10 14-02-13 11:47:00

(ROG)
Verified Member

If its any help then TRUCKNETUK is the biggest UK truckers site and has a newbies forum with lots of great info etc

IAM Observer

#11 23-03-13 21:04:18

Moshomedia
Website

how i can get HGV Training and i am getting JSA Allowance

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 24-03-13 08:04:34

(ROG)
Verified Member

Moshomedia wrote:

how i can get HGV Training and i am getting JSA Allowance

If you have been on JSA for over 6 months a few jobcentres may offer a LGV course either full or part paid for but in most cases you will just need to save up the 1500 for your first LGV C licence

Do not be fooled by adverts saying there is a driver shortage because that is not the case - there is a shortage of jobs for LGV drivers

IAM Observer

Board footer