You are not logged in.

#1 21-01-13 19:45:06

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Bad times!!!

Hi everyone,
I've just put my income on my accounts up to the present day, tax year 2012-13 I know I have had a bad year, as my car was off the road for 6 weeks in August as my engine seized, and then I had a lot of brake trouble in October. But in terms of how busy I've been when my car has been on the road, I feel I've been just as busy as the last few years.

I only work part time as I have 2 dependant children, but I am completely shocked. This is my 4th year as an instructor, and it pains me to see on paper that so far I have earnt a miserable £7,500k(before expenses). So i obviously havent been as busy as i thought. Ok I still have 2 months left of the financial year, but it's very disappointing when in my first year my income was £10k before expenses and last year was £16k before expenses.

I now understand why my credit card has had the biggest bashing this year. My license is to be renewed in September, and I love this job with a passion, but Im unsure if I can possible go another year, only earning this income.

Also I need to question is it myself that people are not wanting to go with, or is it just the impact of this recession!!

hmm

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

21-01-13 19:45:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Bad times!!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 21-01-13 20:08:48

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Many folk are in the same boat,we are in the hardest recession this country has seen for decades.
I had a period recently where i never had a single fail at my nearest test centre for 17 months[lots of tests].
Is my diary full to bursting???
No;my phone stopped ringing at the end of november and my diary is now a desert.The snow up here[northumberland]is a foot deep and noone seems to have any money.
Let me now go to jobcentre plus or whatever its called nowand see what minimum paid job im not qualified for.
Peter[a bit fed up] sad  mad

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#3 21-01-13 20:15:19

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Cat83, do you do your own accounts or use an accountant?

#4 21-01-13 20:20:21

Terrier
Banned

Lots of instructors in the same boat, it's a combination of things, the state of the economy, unemployment, the cost of insurance for new drivers, fuel cost etc;. I have worked in the training side of the business for 25 years and this is my worst year ever, but I believe we have hit the bottom now and hopefully thing will slowly improve but it will be a long slow recovery.

It has seen off many adi's in the last 2 years, I know people who have been in the business for years and have now left it, plus there has been a massive drop in new instructors joining the business, so at least there will be less competition in the next few years.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#5 21-01-13 20:22:32

Cat8t3
Verified Member

neutral It's a shame isn't it.

I'm worried that when I put my expenses in, I'm going to have made a loss, as my recon engine cost me 2k in August. And my finances will look worse than they do now, and I will feel worse than I do now!

I really do hope it gets better for us Peter! I'm at work tomorrow, which is my first day in the snow(as I didn't have any lessons anyway on Friday)  but the roads have been well gritted, and we didn't get much.  Im just hoping my pupils don't want to cancel because of it. :-/

Haha I suppose a good thing to come of it, is I won't owe the tax man anything, might even get a rebate :-)

#6 21-01-13 20:26:01

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Terrier I like your post, it gives hope!

Road master I do, do my own accounts. It helps that I did alot of accounts and payroll in my employment before I became an instructor. ;-)

#7 21-01-13 20:38:08

graham121150
Verified Member
Website

In the ten weeks to Christmas averaged 24 hours, had more booked, this week have 36 hours booked,, and some of my peoples are not having lessons at mo because the are working 7 days a week. now working 6 days, only like to work 5, the problem is the work is not even over the year.

PS got 7 new pupils in 2 days, while I was away in London.

Graham

#8 22-01-13 07:34:10

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I would have thought committing to a franchise would be the worst course of action.  If there is no work around it isn't going to be any better for franchisors getting work.  They'll obviously be pleased at your offer to guarantee their income though.

#9 22-01-13 08:05:29

RobC
Verified Member
Website

All businesses have quiet times or are seasonal. I was quiet with learners last January but busy from February until the end of December.
I expected to be quiet in January as most learners have exams in January and we always get some bad weather which stops us working and puts new starters off around this time.

The only advice I can give is to dont do just learners look for other areas of driving work and use quiet spells to go out looking for work.

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 22-01-13 08:15:41

Busheyfields
Verified Member
Website

Cat8t3 wrote:

Hi everyone,
Also I need to question is it myself that people are not wanting to go with, or is it just the impact of this recession!!

hmm

Its the impact of the recession. Turnover 2011/2012 31,400. Projected turnover 2012/2013 26,000 which is about a 17% reduction. Looking at the test waiting times in our locality it is a general trend. 2 years ago test waiting times here were between 6 & 9 weeks, now you can get a test next week with a choice of time slots!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 22-01-13 09:15:02

MAZ
Verified Member

Wessex wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

I would have thought committing to a franchise would be the worst course of action.  If there is no work around it isn't going to be any better for franchisors getting work.  They'll obviously be pleased at your offer to guarantee their income though.

Yes I know what you are saying and since yesterday I have had another two pupils called for lessons again.
It's easier said than done to sit tight especially when others say they have full diaries and are charging similar
rates and not just giving lessons away.

When a local franchiser states he needs a couple of more ADIs with guaranteed work then it's hard not to consider
just for the short term. Better than Groupon though I would have thought unless to are into conning people.

If they do really have the work then as long as it is a short term contract with an easy get-out I think it may be a good idea to tide you over.

Maz.

#12 22-01-13 09:31:24

boing boing
Verified Member
Website

Roadmaster wrote:

Some franchise driving schools (those who are 'local'), are very good at marketing and advertising in their local area and seem to have a good pupil supply.  Joining such a franchise could be a good move for instructors who have found their pupil base shrink to a level where they are effectively working part time.  I feel more learners shop on price alone and the ability to instantly book a lesson once they have found what they are looking for.  Companies with a high visibility on Google page 1 and the systems to immediately convert an enquiry into a booking can still do well in todays climate.

#13 22-01-13 14:21:14

Evan
Administrator

It's worth remembering, that pupils do tend to put things on hold in January and early February, with regards to starting lessons. This is often due to exam re-sits and also due to parents getting over the financial crucifixion brought to bear on them over the Christmas period.

I remember a few years ago I was at the end of my tether in early February this was due to a run of passes and the phone not going for a couple of weeks (Vanda will remember it well, as I spoke to her about it at the time). I was very worried obviously with bills to pay etc, then the phone started going and I was working flat out again, its the nature of this game I guess, though when it goes quiet there is no getting away from the fact that it is a worry.

Last edited by Evan (22-01-13 17:55:37)

#14 22-01-13 17:39:38

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Wessex wrote:

There is a lot against our Profession at the moment. High insurance bills for females, insurance not coming down for the males like some hoped it would.

The above are just a few of the reasons for diversifying out of the learner market. A short term franchise may plug a gap to pay the bills, but countless hours and miles teaching learners in your own car for external test isnt the long term solution as far as im concerned.

Last edited by RobC (22-01-13 17:40:22)

#15 22-01-13 18:22:55

martin Williams
Verified Member

How much would a local franchise cost 320-420 a month? Personally i would prefer to spend that money on advertising or on special offers to new pupils.

#16 23-01-13 08:08:02

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Wessex wrote:

Thing is Rob, I love the job and am good at it.
I know very little about minbus training.
Fleet registration doesn't interest me having heard some other peoples' experiences.

I need a good hard look at this.

Hi Wessex, Minibus and Fleet involves teaching coaching FLHs so theres no reason that you wouldnt enjoy it and the variation. I knew very little about minibus training 3 years ago but Id be quieter than I would like this month if I relied on teaching learners.
I enjoy teaching learners too but the downside of learners is that to make a decent living you must put long hours in probably 50+ hours in your car including travelling and your car is hammered and tests can be frustrating sometimes. Not so with Fleet and Minibus using their vehicles with your driving assessment and better money and hours.
I would only ever consider a franchise for additional work short term if I was struggling to make ends meet and francises will generally be feeling the same pinch as everyone else. Red and B$M both went into receivership in recent years and I hardly ever see them or AA instructors on the road or at the test centres I use.

Last edited by RobC (23-01-13 08:10:48)

Board footer