You are not logged in.

#1 05-11-12 22:42:57

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Check Test Fear

Hi All,

Being utterly premature as I haven't even been told my CT is due, I am already worrying about it.  hmm

However, regardless of my concerns (which revolve mostly around me just being crap and getting a 1) I have a question.  If I am teaching a subject which requires the pupil to drive to site, how do I handle traffic situations which my pupil hasn't been taught about yet in such a way that the examiner understands and does not penalise me.  For example, I choose TiR and the pupil drives to site but has not actually learned to do roundabouts yet and the route requires crossing a couple. Do I talk them through it? How will the examiner view that? Furthermore, for CC is it assumed that I will correct every fault, even if that is outside the pupil's knowledge thus far?  If not, how will the examiner know if the pupil hasn't done it or if I have missed it?

OMG I hope that makes sense...

Thanks

05-11-12 22:42:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check Test Fear

#2 05-11-12 23:06:59

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Ask yourself a question;would i teach,this pupil,this lesson,today?
Teach the next lesson and handle whatever occurs;just like you do everyday.
Hope this helps.
Peter
ps i hate checktests

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#3 05-11-12 23:43:45

MAZ
Verified Member

Well firstly I also hate C/Ts and Ive got one the week before xmas, lucky me whoopee, I shouldnt worry with my experience but I still do, its more to do with the ability of the examiner rather than mine though.

If this is the only pupil you have, and to pick up the examiner and get to the working area you will have to cross situations your pupil has not yet covered, you can do one of two things.

1.    Drive the pupil to the working area. BUT! How much of the time will this take up? How much relevant commentary tuition can you give during this drive?

2.    Let the pupil drive under FULL INSTRUCTION to the working area, the pupil can not make a mistake so CC not relevant, however you then have the drive back to consider!!

Given that you have not got an invitation yet, you have the time to find a more suitable pupil or do role play, personally if taking a pupil I would chose one that you can teach from the second the engine starts at the T/C.

Maz.

#4 06-11-12 00:01:26

Terrier
Banned

If this pupil has not yet covered roundabouts why not teach this instead of the TIR. Aim to teach the most appropriate lesson for the pupils needs, opening up roundabouts will allow you to also open up the routes for future lessons.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#5 06-11-12 00:08:46

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Hello Lady H

The solution seems to be to choose a route that the pupil finds manageable, so that they're not overwhelmed by an unusual situation. Having said that, you should be ready for the pupil being overwhelmed anyway! For my first CT, the pupil forgot everything they'd ever learned and froze at the controls at the Test Centre. The Check Test system unfortunately isn't flexible enough to deal with this situation and all you can do is to be ready for it and have plan 'B' or plan 'C' prepared and do the best you can.

The only other thing I would say is to be yourself. I think it's a mistake to try and get all the boxes ticked. You're obviously a thoughtful person and you think about how to do the best for each individual learner, so just do this. If this coincides with what the DSA wants, well then you win!

Good luck when it all happens, anyway

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 06-11-12 08:30:31

Evan
Administrator

Terrier wrote:

If this pupil has not yet covered roundabouts why not teach this instead of the TIR. Aim to teach the most appropriate lesson for the pupils needs, opening up roundabouts will allow you to also open up the routes for future lessons.

Spot on Terrier, Good advice in this post Lady H.

#7 07-11-12 00:14:42

Jakey
Verified Member

Lady-Hynarc

In your example you say "how do I handle traffic situations which my pupil hasn't been taught about yet in such a way that the examiner understands and does not penalise me"

Can I ask why would you put your client in a situation s/he has not been in before but not be teaching that subject. You could be heading for disaster on a CT if you did this. Your client may take to roundabouts well, or worse, may fall to pieces, you will then have to change your plan with a client who is not in a good frame of mind.

Best way would be once you have your invite choose a pupil CAREFULLY, choose the subject CAREFULLY and choose your route CAREFULLY.

The CT is not a part 3, don't be afraid to teach the way you usually do.

From your posts you seem to be client focused, this is good, this is what it's about, the client, not you and the examiner.

Good luck when it happens

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

#8 18-02-13 20:41:23

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Well, the waiting is almost over - my check test is in 2 days!

I've been out preparing for it today, mainly because it's not in an area that I am particularly used to so I needed to check out a route.  I'm reasonably happy with what I have planned.

I can't say I'm looking forward to it though and feel somewhat pessimistic at the moment.  It feels a bit like I'm walking on ice and the potential for falling over is massive.  I'm going to be so nervous on the day and am going to have to work really hard to just be myself and do what I normally do.  I guess if my natural style and way of working isn't good enough then I shouldn't be teaching anyway. 

Sorry it's such a 'down' post but I really am dreading Wednesday!

#9 18-02-13 21:07:11

Evan
Administrator

Good luck Lady H, I don't know of anyone who is not nervous or enjoys a check test, hope it goes ok for you  wink

#10 18-02-13 21:38:58

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Whatever you choose to do, choose a route where you are always able to be in control. The worst thing that can happen is you let things run away from you. Keep it simple, keep things manageable, always have an 'escape route' if things start to go 'wrong'....

#11 19-02-13 08:04:43

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Good luck!  smile

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#12 19-02-13 09:47:58

Saint_Albans_ADI
Website

Try and Relax treat it as a normal lesson. Good recap at the beginning and finish lesson with good point of lesson and things to work on for next time
Important thing would be if you plan to teach Meeting and a manouever and a problem happens at the beginning relating to roundabouts make sure that you change you lesson plan accordingly.

When I had my check test I had a pupil have a problem with a roundabout right at the end of the check test and my SE said if I had not changed my teaching plan to deal with the roundabouts then I would have been seriously marked down... I did not want to ask what seriously marked down meant !

Good Luck

Gary

Last edited by Saint_Albans_ADI (19-02-13 09:48:12)

Driving Lessons in and around Saint Albans Hertfordshire
www.i-passed.co.uk

#13 20-02-13 14:17:49

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Thanks to all who sent their best wishes and words of advice...

As of right now, I am a grade 5, one up from what I was yesterday!  big_smile  I am VERY happy!  big_smile

I will give a write up when I get a chance.

Did I mention that I was VERY happy?  No?  Well, I'm VERY happy!  big_smile

Just so there's absolutely no doubt......I am VERY happy!

#14 20-02-13 14:40:43

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Superb, I was over the moon went I went from grade 4 to 5.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#15 20-02-13 16:05:46

VandADI
Administrator

Well, I am very, very HAPPY for you, well done LH  smile

#16 20-02-13 16:37:35

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Well done Lady H, congratulations!

#17 20-02-13 17:55:49

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Congratulations Lady H

I have my check test tomorrow, and this is something i was also worrying about, as my pupil is only about to do emerging junctions, but we have to do 3 roundabouts to get from TC to teaching area.
All my previous pupils had already done roundabouts so wasnt a concern.

I have had advice from an ADI friend who said, explain that we have to do roundabouts and then instruct them fully through roundabouts and then brief on emerging when we get to training area, then instruct again on way back.

This is now my 5th CT and still crapping myself.......
E on the first and then three grade 4s.
Even though i go into CT trying to do lesson as normal, i get nervous, waffle, forget to say things and then go all to pot on the lesson.
Mine is 8.45 am so get it out of way quick and not spend all day worrying as all others have been in afternoon.

Last edited by Robbie (20-02-13 17:56:45)

#18 20-02-13 19:21:09

Evan
Administrator

Well done Lady H nice to get that behind you for 4 years.  cool

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#19 20-02-13 20:33:15

The Duke

Saint_Albans_ADI wrote:

Try and Relax treat it as a normal lesson. Good recap at the beginning and finish lesson with good point of lesson and things to work on for next time
Important thing would be if you plan to teach Meeting and a manouever and a problem happens at the beginning relating to roundabouts make sure that you change you lesson plan accordingly.

When I had my check test I had a pupil have a problem with a roundabout right at the end of the check test and my SE said if I had not changed my teaching plan to deal with the roundabouts then I would have been seriously marked down... I did not want to ask what seriously marked down meant !

Good Luck

Gary

Thats the problem with check tests, I would have said we will cover that in detail next lesson, having said that, that is what I did on my last check test and and got marked down, and got a 5 sad  I was after a 6..

I only wanted a 6 so I could dish it. the grades mean very little.

The Duke

#20 20-02-13 20:37:05

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Well done Lady-H,good job.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#21 20-02-13 22:32:30

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Hi Robbie.

Save yourself the hassle and drive the pupil to the practice area. Why subject them to something they've not done at the beginning. If the lesson goes well, maybe get them to drive back.

#22 21-02-13 06:43:46

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

i did think of doing that but not sure how the SE would take that approach if it was obvious the pupil capable of doing the drive herself.
She will probably drive from home to test centre and cover a few roundabouts anyway.

O well here goes 8.45am

#23 21-02-13 08:22:45

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Robbie wrote:

i did think of doing that but not sure how the SE would take that approach if it was obvious the pupil capable of doing the drive herself.
She will probably drive from home to test centre and cover a few roundabouts anyway.

O well here goes 8.45am

Good luck!

#24 21-02-13 08:24:05

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Lady-Hynarc wrote:
Robbie wrote:

O well here goes 8.45am

Good luck!

Or maybe in the best theatrical traditions - scrape a wheel!

#25 21-02-13 19:00:31

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

well what a nightmare that was,
turned up at 8.15 as planned, no sign of pupil, knocked door, phoned, no answer.
went to TC explained no pupil.
given 2 options, role play or come back at 2.00pm with pupil.

went for latter, and managed to get hold of pupil at 11.30 and explained situation.

He wouldnt drive to or from TC so i did commentary drive to training area, had a fairly hard and challenging lesson as he did everything and anything wrong and i was busy to say the least. He drove back to TC and after debrief with SE she gave me another 4, but said i am capable of 5 and wants to give me a 5 but i just didnt quite crack it with the remedy of one of his faults.

O well its over and done with
Cheers everybody who has given replies

Board footer