You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 27-09-12 16:31:35

Ideal Driver
Website

Re: 1st check test

Good information Jakey, as a newby myself I have taken on board your comments

Thanks

www.idealdriver.co.uk

27-09-12 16:31:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 27-09-12 16:54:21

Jakey
Verified Member

Peter

Thank you, reading many of the posts I was expecting the fallout!!

Ideal driver

Happy to help.

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

#28 27-09-12 17:14:47

Promanade

Good post Jakey smile

"Reversing is a skill different to forward control, in particular steering"

RM you have just said it all. Reversing is a different skill one that needs more control and understanding. Many learners struggle to cope with steering when looking forward hmm so what chance will they have of improvement when going in reverse and looking "backwards". You also say the clutch control is is different when reversing again you are correct it is harder to control the speed in reverse thus causing pure panic in some learners. But each to their own methods and if they work for you then thats a good thing smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#29 27-09-12 18:11:36

Roadmaster
Verified Member

prom wrote:

clutch control is is different when reversing again you are correct it is harder to control the speed in reverse thus causing pure panic in some learners.

And the best way to get them out of panicking is........... practice!   The more the better.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#30 27-09-12 18:55:42

Terrier
Banned

Roadmaster wrote:
terrier wrote:

I don't believe learning to reverse is the right time to learn car control skills, this should be taken care of moving forward

Well you must be a genius if you can teach reversing control by moving forward.  Reversing is a skill different to forward control, in particular steering

Roadmaster if you think that teaching a reverse to improve control skills is the way to do it, you do it that way, I've only got 26 years of successful teaching to fall back on so what do I know. By the way, I'm not a genius but I'm very close to it, I think I'll qualify next year. lol

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#31 27-09-12 19:20:11

martin Williams
Verified Member

Terrier wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
terrier wrote:

I don't believe learning to reverse is the right time to learn car control skills, this should be taken care of moving forward

Well you must be a genius if you can teach reversing control by moving forward.  Reversing is a skill different to forward control, in particular steering

Roadmaster if you think that teaching a reverse to improve control skills is the way to do it, you do it that way, I've only got 26 years of successful teaching to fall back on so what do I know. By the way, I'm not a genius but I'm very close to it, I think I'll qualify next year. lol

How do you do the TIR manoeuvre while just reversing? I agree with many on here that it does indeed inprove car control going forward as well as backwards.

You must indeed be a genius if you teach all the manoeuvres by just going in reverse Terrier as i find with all the manoeuvres part of good control going forward as well as backwards plays a part in all of them at times.

#32 27-09-12 19:34:19

Evan
Administrator

I am in the  Promanade, Terrier and Triker camp on this one. I don't touch manouevres until my pupils have a good solid feel for handling the car going forwards. I find that when this is achieved the manouevres just drop into place.

I don't base when I teach them on hours just on ability, which can vary from pupil to pupil.

One thing I am noticing, is that the core comps and basics are taking longer to teach and grasp for many of the pupils in fact taking a lot longer than a few years ago. Thus the syllabus is taking longer to cover. I'm not sure what others opinions are of this. (A bit off topic I know).

Last edited by Evan (27-09-12 20:06:05)

#33 27-09-12 19:55:27

Promanade

sad  sad
Evan i feel really upset now sad i have also said the same as triker and terrier but you have not not included me in the same camp wink   smile

#34 27-09-12 20:07:12

Evan
Administrator

hahaha sorry Prom I have edited my post.  smile

#35 27-09-12 21:12:49

Promanade

Luverly juberly lol wink

#36 28-09-12 15:00:07

mark.moe

Ok thanks for all coments , and the disagreement on when to do TIR,

I'm going to do planning and awareness, I have got a lesson plan now, with questions for it and what to do, but any advice on this bit will be great, I have got my lesson plan and any advice from you lot will be great, some of you started this when I still at school, lol

Thanks

#37 28-09-12 19:16:18

Terrier
Banned

martin Williams wrote:
Terrier wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

How do you do the TIR manoeuvre while just reversing? I agree with many on here that it does indeed inprove car control going forward as well as backwards.

You must indeed be a genius if you teach all the manoeuvres by just going in reverse Terrier as i find with all the manoeuvres part of good control going forward as well as backwards plays a part in all of them at times.

I assumed that every good instructor knows how to develop good control skills without having to reverse the car, obviously this is not the case. All I can say is that if an instructor needs to teach reverse manoeuvres to improve control there is obviously some gaps in their teaching knowledge. If you think I'm wrong ask the examiner when you take your next check test why this is not a good technique.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

Board footer