You are not logged in.

#1 24-09-12 22:29:19

mark.moe

1st check test

I got my first check test in 2 weeks

Here is my plan

I drive to test centre so when SE gets in I can start the lesson from as I pick her up from the house
I'm going to do turn in road and another subject. I know the pupil I'm taking and her mirrors and planning needs work.

So 20 min drive to turn in road place and work on mirrors or planning and awareness

Spend half hour on turn in road and again mirrors or planning again back to test centre, 10 min back

On way there is bout 4 roundabouts so if she messes them up then I will alter lesson to that

If this sounds stupid then it's my first test and any advice and info or if this is good plan then please tell me,

Thanks

24-09-12 22:29:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1st check test

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 24-09-12 22:49:44

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Would this be a realistic lesson[tir] based on what you have done so far?If yes,then fine.Do you expect her to mess up on the r/abouts?
If yes,why not do approach to r/abouts[junctions]?
Sounds like a realistic plan but the timescale seems a bit tight.
Good luck.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 25-09-12 06:12:56

mark.moe

Triker wrote:
mark.moe wrote:

I got my first check test in 2 weeks

Here is my plan

I drive to test centre so when SE gets in I can start the lesson from as I pick her up from the house
I'm going to do turn in road and another subject. I know the pupil I'm taking and her mirrors and planning needs work.

So 20 min drive to turn in road place and work on mirrors or planning and awareness

Spend half hour on turn in road and again mirrors or planning again back to test centre, 10 min back

On way there is bout 4 roundabouts so if she messes them up then I will alter lesson to that

If this sounds stupid then it's my first test and any advice and info or if this is good plan then please tell me,

Thanks

Am missing something here? Do you propose to drive from the test centre when the SE gets in? You do realise that the SE will brief you inside the TC before the CT? Could you clarify smile

If she needs work on mirrors and planning why not do that on the check test? Plan a route which will give you and your pupil the opportunity to correct any weaknesses in her forward planning and use of mirrors. You could brief her on the MSPSL routine (Q&A for a couple of minutes) and then off you go.

Another thing to remember is her apparent lack of understanding about roundabouts. If she is likely to 'mess them up' wouldn't it be prudent to give her some training on how to deal with them You know your pupil better than we do but it occurs to me that TIR is not at this point something which must be dealt with as a matter of urgency. Some ADI's see the manoeuvres as an 'easy option' for check test. I can tell you that most SE's are sick and tired of them and would much rather see the pupil making progress during normal driving. smile

No I'm driving to test centre then switch over

So can I do just mirrors and planning for the hour?

We hav done roundabouts and she is ok it's just incase.

I will admit I doing TIR as easy option. But lots adi hav told me not to do it.

I need a rethink then

So if I did mirrors and planning is that a combine hour lesson or do half hour each

Thanks

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 25-09-12 06:14:26

mark.moe

Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi
Would this be a realistic lesson[tir] based on what you have done so far?If yes,then fine.Do you expect her to mess up on the r/abouts?
If yes,why not do approach to r/abouts[junctions]?
Sounds like a realistic plan but the timescale seems a bit tight.
Good luck.
Peter

Yes it's realistic coz that's next to teach, I'm maybe putting it back a lesson so it's done on test

#5 25-09-12 06:15:54

G
Verified Member
Website

A good plan would be do the lesson you would do if it wasnt a check test in exactly the same way you would normally do it! Then at least the feedback you get will be realistic.

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#6 25-09-12 07:58:18

Evan
Administrator

''Another thing to remember is her apparent lack of understanding about roundabouts. If she is likely to 'mess them up' wouldn't it be prudent to give her some training on how to deal with them safely? You know your pupil better than we do but it occurs to me that TIR is not at this point something which must be dealt with as a matter of urgency. Some ADI's see the manoeuvres as an 'easy option' for check test. I can tell you that most SE's are sick and tired of them and would much rather see the pupil making progress during normal driving. ''

Very good advice here from Triker, by the sounds of it there is plenty of work to do with your pupil without getting involved with manouevres. To be honest you cannot do enough hours working on forward planning and roundabouts.

If you are worried it may be worth you spending an hour or two with a good trainer and getting a bit of pre-check test training.

Good luck.

Last edited by Evan (25-09-12 08:01:46)

#7 25-09-12 08:07:22

Promanade

mark.moe wrote:

No I'm driving to test centre then switch over

So can I do just mirrors and planning for the hour?

We hav done roundabouts and she is ok it's just incase.

I will admit I doing TIR as easy option. But lots adi hav told me not to do it.

I need a rethink then

So if I did mirrors and planning is that a combine hour lesson or do half hour each

Thanks

Hi Mark. if you are having to drive to test centre then switch over i think you should be questioning your pupils ability to do any of the things you are/have suggested hmm .
My advice would be to start the lesson as normal with pupil in driving seat, pupil must be a resaonable driver if you are already doing roundabouts, see what happens during the hours lesson before you meet the examiner. It would be usual for things to go wrong during the hours driving and you can now make these faults your objective for the second hour when the SE is with you (as someone has said, treat it as a normal lesson). You will recieve lots more advise i would think so combine it all and make up your own mind. It may be worth contacting a local ADI trainer and booking 2 hours with him/her.

Last edited by Promanade (25-09-12 08:10:01)

#8 25-09-12 13:29:41

Terrier
Banned

Mark you should be teaching the lesson that is appropriate to the pupils needs, if she needs work on mirrors and planning then make this the main aim of the lesson. It's easy to fill an hour with this if you plan your route properly. As others have said, I would drop the TIR because you are doing too much in the hour and it will affect your final grade. As triker said, examiners are seeing nothing but manoeuvres on check test these days and they know what's going on, they know it's just an easy time filler for the instructor.

Remember if you are teaching planning and mirrors this involves anticipation and the MSPSL routine so there is plenty to go at. Just make sure you plan your route properly, this is something that many instructors give little thought to and end up on a completely inappropriate route. For example; there is no point in taking the pupil around a very quiet housing estate if you are working on planning/anticipation/mirrors because a route like that would not offer a wide enough variation in road conditions to stretch the pupil enough.

Keep asking on here if you are unsure about anything, remember this advice is free and you don't get that often these days.

Good luck on the day.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#9 25-09-12 13:46:21

martin Williams
Verified Member

Just make sure you don't turn up late and teach what you feel your pupil needs to learn. If it's within 12 months of passing your part 3 don't be to disapointed if you get an E most do.

#10 25-09-12 14:50:35

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

And if you do get an 'E', be prepared for a pompous letter from the DSA saying that it doesn't 'condone' sub-standard instruction! Strange word, the last time someone told me they wouldn't 'condone' something was my headmaster when I'd been caught throwing stones at the vicar's greenhouse.

#11 25-09-12 19:34:25

mark.moe

I've all replays and I am going to do planning awareness anticipation and mirrors. Is that ok or too much.

I've looked too much into this and I'm treating it like part 3. Im just going to do the lesson .

I said I would drive to test centre and start lesson from test centre coz I saw that blane bloke on you tube and that's wat he said.

Thanks for all reply.

Also wat is a E? Thought it was grade 1-6

#12 25-09-12 20:14:31

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
If your 1st checktest is below standard,they will normally award an E[educational].
And then get you back quite quickly!
Just relax and do a normal lesson.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#13 26-09-12 18:54:47

mark.moe

Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi
If your 1st checktest is below standard,they will normally award an E[educational].
And then get you back quite quickly!
Just relax and do a normal lesson.
Peter

Dint know that thanks. So do u have to be very bad to get a 3.

Also will planning awareness and little work on mirrors be ok for a lesson coz that's wat I was going to look at anyway.

#14 26-09-12 19:26:53

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I thinks its more to do with nerves and inexperience.
I Would consider doing TIR coz it doesnt matter whether the SE likes it or not,its your pupils lesson and a mano[not too far from the test centre] is less random than a general lesson.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#15 26-09-12 19:45:39

Terrier
Banned

That's bad advice doing a TIR as a cop out, its going to achieve nothing except possibly an E grade and another check test within 12 weeks. If an adi can't deliver an acceptable lesson in line with the pupils requirements they need to ask themselves if they are in the right job. sad

#16 26-09-12 20:33:38

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
If TIR was a realistic next lesson then it is NOT a cop out.An excellent lesson will result in an excellent grade.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#17 26-09-12 22:46:32

Terrier
Banned

The original post said the pupil needed to work on mirrors and planning, also roundabouts were suspect, so how can you say tir is the correct lesson. The examiner will throw this back at him at the debrief. Far too many instructors teach manoeuvres too early, there's no point in going backwards if you can't drive forward.

Quote from op:  I will admit I doing TIR as easy option. Nothing more to say.

#18 26-09-12 22:48:49

Promanade

Terrier wrote:

Far too many instructors teach manoeuvres too early, there's no point in going backwards if you can't drive forward.

How very true smile have used the same statement for many years.

#19 27-09-12 05:45:42

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Far too many instructors teach manoeuvres too early, there's no point in going backwards if you can't drive forward.

And I thought I was alone in thinking this! I start manoeuvres about 20 hours into my course, by that point the level of control has really developed which makes manoeuvres SO much easier. I definitely wouldn't go back to doing them earlier.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#20 27-09-12 06:10:35

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I do the reversing manoeuvres early.  It helps with car control.   And the earlier the pupil can carry them out, the more practice they get.  Being able to control a car when reversing is just as important as going forward.

#21 27-09-12 07:33:40

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I do the reversing manoeuvres early.  It helps with car control.   And the earlier the pupil can carry them out, the more practice they get.  Being able to control a car when reversing is just as important as going forward.

This is cool because it shows we all do things differently. It's not how I do it, but neither is it wrong! Different ways of achieving the same result. I would NOT argue my way is better, it's purely how I like to go about it. I like this sort of variation (which is why I would hate to have a standardised system forced on me!).

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#22 27-09-12 08:51:04

Terrier
Banned

I don't believe learning to reverse is the right time to learn car control skills, this should be taken care of moving forward. The pupils have enough to cope with when learning to reverse without having to develop clutch control, after all, 98% of driving is going forward not backwards.

#23 27-09-12 14:33:38

Roadmaster
Verified Member

terrier wrote:

I don't believe learning to reverse is the right time to learn car control skills, this should be taken care of moving forward

Well you must be a genius if you can teach reversing control by moving forward.  Reversing is a skill different to forward control, in particular steering

Last edited by Roadmaster (27-09-12 14:38:13)

#24 27-09-12 15:02:27

Jakey
Verified Member

Mark

Please do not be put off by other posts regarding mans, examiners will test you on your ability to teach, whatever the subject.

Don't try and do too much on the CT, your pupil may become overloaded and create more work/problems for you. Select your route carefully, ROUTE PLANNING IS CRITICAL. It's worth saying it again, ROUTE PLANNING IS CRITICAL.

Make your CT as easy as you can for yourself, as it's your first it's so easy to feel you have to do a lot but your pupil may not be able to. Remember it is NOT a part 3, teach in whatever way your comfortable with and what suits your pupil.

I have recently had a CT, when the examiner asked me what I was going to do, I told him "I don't know, my pupil hasn't told me yet", yes I did. When we were all safely in the car I basically asked my pupil what she wanted to do, she said TIR, it was honestly not planned. If she did not have the sub skills for the TIR eg. clutch control then I would have questioned to find a more suitable subject for her.

Fact, at the end of the CT I told my pupil to go in to the test centre even though I had forgotten to do recap(nerves i guess), ex mentioned it, giving me a chance to call her back to the car but I declined, result was a grade 5!! He marked me low for that item on the sheet, I spent too long talking at the TIR site and only had time for ONE go at it, her first time, I just let her have a go without much help I may add, she did very well at it because she had the sub skills.

Relax, make it easy for both of you, make sure pupil learns something. Ex's will expect learning to have taken place, that's what the CT is all about.

Good luck

PS if you would like my CT sheet PM me and I will email it to you.

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

#25 27-09-12 15:42:28

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Excellent post Jakey