You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 19-08-12 14:20:19

allpass
Website

dont use pink license as a way of making money

hi guys,i see a lot of people looking to extend their pink license, and taking on to many people, and doing a lot of hours,then panicking when they have one go left on part 3.use your pink to have maybe 2 to 3 people and 6 to 8 hours max as a training tool,just to see if you like teaching in a real world enviroment and to practise you structure and routines.dont use it to start your buisness and lose focus on your real goal, to pass part 3.

pat

www.drivinginstructortrainingwales.co.uk

19-08-12 14:20:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: dont use pink license as a way of making money

#2 19-08-12 15:09:11

Terrier
Banned

I agree allpass, that's what it was originally intended to do but some of the larger training companies see it as another franchise opportunity. This puts the pdi in a position of having to make the work a priority and therefore neglects the training needed to prepare for the exam.

The other problem with this is nobody ever checks the pdi when giving lessons, therefore the pupils could be getting poor tuition. The sooner the pink is scrapped the better.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#3 22-01-13 13:13:42

Trikz

I agree on this one. I have my pink badge and only have 4 students. As my trainer is always reminding me that the pink badge is only to build experience not to make money. As it will take my focus away from my main goal.. Green badge!!!
I've had my badge for 4 months and feel ready for my part 3 soon.
Actually... I have 3 now. Had my first pass last week... wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 22-01-13 13:43:33

Evan
Administrator

Trikz wrote:

I agree on this one. I have my pink badge and only have 4 students. As my trainer is always reminding me that the pink badge is only to build experience not to make money. As it will take my focus away from my main goal.. Green badge!!!
I've had my badge for 4 months and feel ready for my part 3 soon.
Actually... I have 3 now. Had my first pass last week... wink

Thats the difference between having a trainer who is giving you input and advice on how to use the pink, and being left to just sail along on your own and lose sight of things.

Nothing at all wrong with the pink licence if it is used and supervised correctly.

Last edited by Evan (22-01-13 14:38:46)

#5 22-01-13 15:47:08

Terrier
Banned

Yes it's in the pipeline, but as we know, DSA change their minds more than I change my socks, PST's are supposed to be going as well.

#6 08-02-13 22:43:55

AOM1

I wouldn't worry too much - whole ADI qualification will be changing in the next 12 months - moving to module based process hosted by external business (non DSA). Trainee licence will disappear along with Parts 1,2 and 3 and Check Test!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 08-02-13 23:58:26

Terrier
Banned

AOM1 wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much - whole ADI qualification will be changing in the next 12 months - moving to module based process hosted by external business (non DSA). Trainee licence will disappear along with Parts 1,2 and 3 and Check Test!

Where's the evidence for all these changes, I doubt very much that changes like this could be implemented within 12 months. This was only part of proposals the DSA were thinking about last year, even if they decided to do it, you would be looking at 3-5 years at best. Nothing happens within 12 months at DSA, even minor changes.

#8 09-02-13 00:13:38

AOM1

They have been in the pipeline for the last 12-18 months and will become a reality within the next 12 months. National Occupational Standards have already been set by DSA.

Last edited by AOM1 (09-02-13 00:21:49)

#9 09-02-13 07:03:20

Roadmaster
Verified Member

AOM1 wrote:

They have been in the pipeline for the last 12-18 months and will become a reality within the next 12 months. National Occupational Standards have already been set by DSA.

Dream on.  It's years off.

A new system is still only at the  discussion stage yet.  Nothing has been decided. Once agreed it has to go out to consultation.

#10 09-02-13 07:25:00

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I got a pink badge, didn't get any support at all (think I was just being used for the franchise money). It was not done 'properly', was left floundering in the dark.

I ended up paying extra for a different trainer who was much better.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#11 09-02-13 07:58:44

martin_t
Verified Member

Yep, more or less my experience too, though I did get a fair amount out of it in other ways - as did my victims (cheaper lessons, although with a less good instructor than I am now (possibly)).

#12 09-02-13 08:47:26

Evan
Administrator

martin_t wrote:

Yep, more or less my experience too, though I did get a fair amount out of it in other ways - as did my victims (cheaper lessons, although with a less good instructor than I am now (possibly)).

That maybe true, but just consider the clients that phone up and think you are too expensive now, and go for a cheaper less good instructor.

#13 09-02-13 10:55:25

Terrier
Banned

AOM1 wrote:

There's been stuff in the pipeline for 20 years, it's still not come through, it's taken nearly 3 years to look at client centred learning and there's still no decisions taken, and when they do it will take another 3 years to implement it. AOM1 Don't believe everything you hear about changes, 15 years ago I was told that ORDIT was going to be compulsory within 2 years for ADI training, I'm still waiting. smile

#14 13-04-13 09:49:47

Tiamaria
Website

I know this post is a few months old but thought i would pass on how i used the pink licence.
i bought a car, and fitted dual controls, paid for my pink, as i was training with a local indi instructor he agreed to sponser me, which meant he has to supervise a percentage of the lessons i was giving.  i offered free lessons with the explaination to the students that i was still training,  and would not be as good as a "real" instructor.  but as soon as you say the word free, i was inundated with people wanting to be guinea pigs for me! I started learning by teaching the PST first, but as time went on, i would use parts of that, and then my confidence developed from there.
I Was picky about who i took to give the free lessons to.  i kept it to 3/4 students. 
I must say that it was invaluable to me, as some of the faults they would throw at me, were real faults.  things that learners actually do, and also quickly realised that left and right to learners is always confusing!!
Using the pink as a training aid, really gets you thinking on how you deal with faults and fix them. 
not having to think about earning from it and just enjoying the experience of watching yourself and your students develop. Very rewarding!
As time went on, i then started just charging a very small amount to cover fuel and wear and tear on the car.  I would never recommend using the pink to earn money.  i used it as a training tool only to improve my instruction, certainly then takes the pressure off for then going for the part 3 test, as i just treated the examiner as one of my pupils.  i then passed part 3 first time! smile
hope this post helps someone out there,  if the DSA are still going to continue offering a pink then use it wisely! wink

Part 1 04/11/11 99/63 big_smile
part 2 12/12/11 first time 4 minors smile
part 3 04/07/12 first time 4/4. big_smile
Check test grade 4

#15 13-04-13 10:01:19

martin Williams
Verified Member

They should make the pink licences free but make it against .the law to charge for lessons unless you are a fully qualified ADI. Come to think of it if they did that they may as well scrap the pink badges.

#16 13-04-13 11:53:26

Terrier
Banned

[quote;I started learning by teaching the PST first, quote]

For gods sake don't try using pst's to teach real pupils, it's not designed for that, it's a testing tool designed of conducting the part 3 exam. If necessary write out your own lesson plan for the lesson and adjust it as you get more experienced.

#17 13-04-13 12:12:55

Tiamaria
Website

Terrier wrote:

[quote;I started learning by teaching the PST first, quote]

For gods sake don't try using pst's to teach real pupils, it's not designed for that, it's a testing tool designed of conducting the part 3 exam. If necessary write out your own lesson plan for the lesson and adjust it as you get more experienced.

If you read it, i dont say that i teach using the PST. roll
i said that this was the thing i used in the begining to start to understand how to explain something.  the pupils i had were aware that i was right at the start of my training, and i explained all this to them, they would not be doing any lessons at all if they were not free!
for me they were a good tool at the very start of my training to understand what teaching was all about.  how to aproach a lesson, and to set up my own lesson plans,
i would never teach just PST, and never said that.

Check test grade 4

#18 13-04-13 13:07:30

Terrier
Banned

I started learning by teaching the PST first, but as time went on, i would use parts of that,

There's only one way I can understand that statement, if that's not what you meant then you've not explained it properly. I'm not having a dig at you personally but you would be surprised how many new instructors do this, including on the first check test, so I hope that clears up our little misunderstanding. smile

#19 13-04-13 13:50:08

Tiamaria
Website

ok good point,  guess i didnt explain what i meant, last thing i would want is for any PDI to read it and think the same.
thanks for pointing this out..  smile

Check test grade 4

#20 13-04-13 15:31:00

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi Tiamaria
Dont be too defensive,your explanation was perfectly clear and absolutely what you should do.
Some on here just love the sound of there own keyboard.
Peter roll

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#21 13-04-13 16:49:12

Terrier
Banned

Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi Tiamaria
Dont be too defensive,your explanation was perfectly clear and absolutely what you should do.
Some on here just love the sound of there own keyboard.
Peter roll

Why don't you keep out of something you don't understand, it's too technical for you. roll

#22 14-04-13 17:06:29

Tiamaria
Website

LOL!  so makes me laugh the way everyone has some banter on here!! big_smile

Check test grade 4

#23 22-04-13 21:16:00

bradders
Verified Member

I put an advert up for free driving lessons instead of having a pink badge, did not like the training school I was with..... so found an independent trainer to help me.  The advantage of doing free lessons, (sounds barmy) but I had my customers when I passed already, they all stayed with me and passed their tests, recommended their friends etc.  It was unwittingly a good way to set up my pupil base.  My theory was that pupils should not be paying for their lesson if I am not qualified to teach. 

Had some weird calls though, Free lessons?? do you mean really free, what does free mean, do you charge for using your car......... etc etc.  One of the dads mended my wall, another serviced my boiler, it was a barter system really and quite good fun at the time.  Who needs money ...... (me!)  Must buy a lottery ticket .... tis my numbers this week for sure! big_smile

Hypnotherapist, Artist, Picture Framer, GDB (general dogs body) and ADI - 2002

'We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are'. Anais Nin

#24 22-04-13 22:52:23

Terrier
Banned

bradders wrote:

I put an advert up for free driving lessons instead of having a pink badge, did not like the training school I was with..... so found an independent trainer to help me.  The advantage of doing free lessons, (sounds barmy) but I had my customers when I passed already, they all stayed with me and passed their tests, recommended their friends etc.  It was unwittingly a good way to set up my pupil base.  My theory was that pupils should not be paying for their lesson if I am not qualified to teach. 

Had some weird calls though, Free lessons?? do you mean really free, what does free mean, do you charge for using your car......... etc etc.  One of the dads mended my wall, another serviced my boiler, it was a barter system really and quite good fun at the time.  Who needs money ...... (me!)  Must buy a lottery ticket .... tis my numbers this week for sure! big_smile

Unfortunately bradders what you did was still illegal, the jobs you had done would have been regarded as payment. (money or money's worth) regarded as payment.

#25 23-04-13 06:37:54

bradders
Verified Member

Yep, probably true, the nice chap still services my boiler too.   smile

And the builder is now a good friend who is also still doing the odd little job here and there.

I am not sure I am or was unduly worried about it. It was not a case of you are teaching my daughter to drive, therefore I shall service your boiler or build your wall back up, more a case  of a boiler/wall problem at the time of teaching, not even sure if it was pre or post ADI qualification and do you know a good plumber/builder, oh, you are one are you, how lucky for me.......... lets negotiate price, okay, lovely, oh, no charge? really, thanks a lot !!

Hypnotherapist, Artist, Picture Framer, GDB (general dogs body) and ADI - 2002

'We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are'. Anais Nin

Board footer