You are not logged in.

#1 01-06-12 07:11:52

Bouncer2005
Verified Member

Role Play and Junctions

Hello everyone

I have decided to do role-play and junctions on my upcoming check test, but I am surprisingly stuck on a lesson plan within this.   Am i right in saying that just doing left and right junctions would be a bit of a cop-out and that i need to have a focus on a specific area to develop, for example open/closed junctions/ X-road etc?   If so, any idea for a decent role play subject? 

I will be using straighforward junctions to begin with then moving out to fast roads (national speed limit roads once I am happy the 'pupil' is ok with straightforward junctions) where there will be many 3rd gear approaching junctions on the route, plus one large roundabout which i can probably get covered about 4 times in the time we have.  I will be able to cover left and right turns on the faster roads. As i live in a small town, the route is limited so i pretty much know the route to begin with.

I feel like my mind has gone blank so all ideas much appreciated!!

Many thanks

01-06-12 07:11:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Role Play and Junctions

#2 01-06-12 07:20:56

VandADI
Administrator

Don't forget to include a few roundabouts.
As part of the re-cap in your Q&A, discuss open/closed junctions and the use of the MSPSL routine on the approach as this can often be part of the errors that the "student" will make.

#3 01-06-12 07:32:12

Bouncer2005
Verified Member

Thanks VandADI

We have only one roundabout in my area with simple exits at 12,3, 6 and 9 o'clock so I will only be able to do the one.   Thanks for the advice on MSPSL etc, will do smile

#4 01-06-12 07:33:21

whodareswins
Verified Member

Further to what Vanda has already said, there are many things to look out for:

1. Positioning to turn left or right
2. Approach speed
3. Cutting corners
4. Crossroads (Marked/Unmarked)
5. Priorities
6. Crossing traffic
7. Pedestrians and Parked vehicles

The list goes on ..........................

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#5 01-06-12 07:42:30

Bouncer2005
Verified Member

Thanks Whodareswins

I think my worry is that when i set the aims and objectives at the start of the lesson, it wont be enough to say 'The aims are to cover junctions to the left and right using MSPSL and that you have a better understanding of the MSPSL routine at the end of the lesson' etc.  i feel that i need to bring in something more specific, like 'with an emphasis on open/closed junctions and the LADA routine etc.   If i can get away with the most basic lesson plan and then work hard in the lesson to sort out the faults etc, it works for me....i just dont want the SE to say my lesson plan was vague.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 01-06-12 12:30:39

VandADI
Administrator

whodareswins wrote:

Further to what Vanda has already said, there are many things to look out for:

1. Positioning to turn left or right
2. Approach speed
3. Cutting corners
4. Crossroads (Marked/Unmarked)
5. Priorities
6. Crossing traffic
7. Pedestrians and Parked vehicles

The list goes on ..........................

I chose role play junctions on my last check test, all of the above needed attention and they were obvious.
You need to systematically go through the faults, Identifying them will be easy, you need to find out why they are happening and remedy them. Remember - core competencies! smile
Don't forget to ask plenty of questions to find any gaps in knowledge.

#7 01-06-12 21:32:05

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

You might find it useful to listen to DIPOD; show 41 it was.

http://www.dipod.co.uk/

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#8 01-06-12 22:03:05

Mentor
Verified Member

I did junctions on my last check test. The SE-ADI took the role of an experienced pupil needing some remedial on junctions (All types). A quick recap on MSPSL, road markings and priorities and off we went. First junction was an immediate left turn after moving off and 2 faults were made.  Coasting and steering fault. I pulled him and did the core competencies thing and moved off again with some corrective talk through. In all he displayed 5 faults throughout the lesson which were obvious and corrected. My only weakness was to plan too many junctions into the route therefore giving myself too much to do.  I would reduce the workload by 50% if I was to do it again.

#9 03-06-12 06:06:46

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Thanks for the info Mentor, very useful. I too have chosen to do role play for my next CT, grateful for any tips!

#10 03-06-12 13:01:44

Madiggy
Verified Member

Within the core comps, try and include pupil analysis, as well as trainer analysis, this can lead to pupil identifying the remedial action required.

CONFIDENTIAL CHECK TEST TRAINING
http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk/
Life & Executive Coaching
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#11 04-06-12 13:08:00

Bouncer2005
Verified Member

Many thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it and feel reassured by the previous experiences of those having done role play that it is not going to be a lesson from hell lol  It is on my birthday too, so let hope its a 'happy' one!

Any further comments also very welcome regarding the topic and post, the more the better!

Board footer