You are not logged in.

#1 24-05-12 20:31:53

jeanmip

Opening driving school without being an ADI

Hi Everyone,

I hope you could help me with that query.
I am currently planning to open a driving school within the next few months. I would like to open my own business where I would be managing the company, without actually being an approved driving instructor.
First of all, I would like to know if that is possible before going any further.
I have asked my local government agencies, but they have not been very helpful so far...

Thank you in advance

JM

24-05-12 20:31:53

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Opening driving school without being an ADI

#2 24-05-12 20:54:26

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
You do not need to be an ADI to open a driving school business.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#3 24-05-12 21:25:30

Promanade

It would help a little if you know about the industry!! Personally, I would be against anyone opening a driving school who knows NOTHING about instruction or the driving instructor industry, stay away, this industry does NOT need people who are just in it to make huge profits at the expense of ADIs and learner drivers.
Well you did ask for advice!! and that is my HONEST opinion, i am sure many would agree but would decline from saying wink
Its struggling enough as it is!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 24-05-12 21:47:53

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Got to agree, we need schools organised and ran by experienced professionals within the industry.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#5 24-05-12 22:27:35

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Hi - I'm not an ADI but I run a driving school...however my husband is an ADI and I trained as one (as far as Part 2 after which  illness forced me to stop driving for a while during which time, I discovered that I really loved running the business behind the scenes, so I didn't bother carrying on with ADI training!).

Unless you have some background in driver training or someone knowledgeable who can support you, running a driving school would be a pretty steep learning curve!

How do you plan to get established in a market where to be frank, supply of the "product" grossly exceeds demand?

Last edited by Loopy Lou (24-05-12 22:32:24)

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#6 24-05-12 22:40:44

MAZ
Verified Member

As you will not be able to train people to be instructors you will have to recruit existing adi’s, it is unlikely that an existing Adi’s would wish to franchise with start up company who’s owner has no personal experience or understanding of the industry.

To get your first instructor you will need work to fill their diary, to get work you will need an instructor, it’s the old “chicken and egg” scenario.

There is little profit for a school operator, you would be lucky to make £30 per week per instructor, so the money you have to invest just in advertising alone to get work initially will not show a return for a LONG time, even if we were not in a double dip recession.

Use your start up money to start up a more profitable business.
Best wishes.

Maz.

Board footer