You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 02-05-12 21:11:24

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Re: Ah well, could have done better.

Well done M6 on getting a 4 on your first CT, its a result and keeps you doing the job, that's what matters.  Great write up and a good read for those who are coming up to their first CT, we learn every day and will improve in what we do in real lessons day by day - test scenarios are a different story and I hold my hand up to being crap in test situations, but in relaxed day to day work I am confident that I do a great job and have the results to prove it.  Keep working  big_smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

02-05-12 21:11:24

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#27 02-05-12 22:27:10

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Kaf wrote:

I care not what the DSA think of me, as long as they think enough of me to allow me to keep working, I care greatly about what my customers think of me however.

Likewise! As long as I've got a licence, I'll run the business and look after my customers to the best of my ability. Grades don't really come in to it

#28 03-05-12 05:38:00

Roadmaster
Verified Member

And ADI examiers have to work to the variance system too.

#29 03-05-12 07:31:05

Evan
Administrator

You can be what ever grade you like, if your diary is empty because your pupils don't get you referrals you are out going out of business. That is the pure logistics of the situation.

If your pupils like you and their parents are pleased with what you do, then you are going to be busy. I am in this business to earn a living and pay bills, like most others. So it is very important that I please my pupils with my efforts and their results.

Like I have said before my attitudes are probably very different to many on this forum, but that is just me.

Last edited by Evan (03-05-12 07:32:10)

#30 04-05-12 22:06:44

learnerboy

Hi m6 just a little food for thought . The common denominator through your check test would appear to be forward planning .It's not uncommon on lessons to change or adapt your plan to take advantage of situations which arise. Your lesson does appear a little chaotic and if you feel this happening both you and your pupil will benefit from a little time out . There is an element on tests of any kind to do what you think is wanted but you'll fare better if you do what you feel is good for you and so long as you're prepared to justify it on the debrief this is usually accepted. Your attitude towards taking advice from the check test is admirable rather than seeing it as criticism .Just a final observation, it's the public what pays your wages and they will be the judge ! Best wishes

#31 05-05-12 15:43:25

Terrier
Banned

The check test is an assessment of your teaching ability, fact. Whether you choose to earn money from it is down to you, I know people who have check test but are not working as adi's at present so it's not earning money. As far as adi's suffering with nerves on a check test, if it affects their ability so much they can't be confident in their own knowledge/ability and they can do something about that.

Apart from minor items I've never had a check test where I disagreed with the result.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#32 31-07-12 12:12:19

Hale
Verified Member
Website

A 4 just means its 4 years before you get hassled again to do another one.

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#33 31-07-12 12:23:08

VandADI
Administrator

Hale wrote:

I thought it was 2 years for a grade 4?

#34 31-07-12 20:24:38

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

ADIs with upcoming check tests would do well to ignore some of the fantastically self-righteous tosh being posted on here. The check test is not necessarily a reliable guide to teaching ability, though it works well for some.

#35 31-07-12 22:07:29

Promanade

Triker wrote:
Terrier wrote:

The check test is an assessment of your teaching ability, fact. Whether you choose to earn money from it is down to you, I know people who have check test but are not working as adi's at present so it's not earning money. As far as adi's suffering with nerves on a check test, if it affects their ability so much they can't be confident in their own knowledge/ability and they can do something about that.

Apart from minor items I've never had a check test where I disagreed with the result.

I agree. If you don't perform well under the conditions of a check test, maybe you're not such a good teacher as you thought you were and you need to something about it.

Vanda:

It may be a little more than two years these days but you are correct, its certainly due before 4 smile

Agree fully with above posts.

Andrew you say the check test is not a reliable guide to teaching ability? Would you like to share with us what would be a more reliable guide.

#36 01-08-12 05:39:08

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I've been happy with my check test de-briefs, I got some good advice and guidance.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#37 01-08-12 12:08:29

Hale
Verified Member
Website

VandADI wrote:
Hale wrote:

Ive had two check tests. Got Grade 4 both times and always a for me 4 years between each one.

Ive not always taught full-time so its not like they are looking at how often im at the the TC because it varies year to year.

Grade 5 is normally between 5-6 years

Grade 6 after 6+ years or at SEs discretion

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

#38 01-08-12 12:26:08

Roadmaster
Verified Member

No it isn't.   Grade 5 and 6 are  checktested every 4 years, grade 4 every 2 is the general policy.  Some people are just lucky and get a longer period   And it isn't at the SE's discretion, they don't have access to checktest records.

#39 01-08-12 14:31:04

VandADI
Administrator

Hale wrote:
VandADI wrote:
Hale wrote:

Ive had two check tests. Got Grade 4 both times and always a for me 4 years between each one.

Ive not always taught full-time so its not like they are looking at how often im at the the TC because it varies year to year.

Just one question.
Your signature shows you passed part 3 in 2005 .
According to your statement this will be your 3rd check test your previous 2 were spaced 4 years apart. How so?

#40 01-08-12 18:34:55

Promanade

VandADI wrote:

Just one question.
Your signature shows you passed part 3 in 2005 .
According to your statement this will be your 3rd check test your previous 2 were spaced 4 years apart. How so?

Hale following on from what VandiADI has asked i would also like to ask how you appear to know a lot about the time between tests dependant on grades but yet know very little about your next check test and the contents of your invitation letter hmm hmm

Last edited by Promanade (01-08-12 18:35:23)

#41 02-08-12 07:57:36

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Triker wrote:

I agree. If you don't perform well under the conditions of a check test, maybe you're not such a good teacher as you thought you were and you need to something about it.

First, I should apologise for my sharp remark, which was made in irritation

If the Check Test works for you and you believe it fairly reflects your ability, that's great. My last CT was a fair reflection on how I performed and I found it very useful. But there are ADIs who have idiosyncratic teaching styles that don't fit the DSA testing matrix, or who are crippled by exam nerves or have pupils who freeze at the controls on them during the check test, but who are nevertheless successful with their pupils day-to-day. Sometimes (shock horror) an SE is less proficient than they should be (we all have bad days) so the CT grading doesn't necessarily reflect their abilities.

So it's wrong to suggest that those who don't score well on the CT aren't such good teachers they thought they were etc. because it ain't necessarily so and I don't think we should put down every ADI who just gets a bronze.

#42 11-08-12 08:04:16

Newrose
Website

Hale wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Can you have your 2nd and 3rd check test on the same topic or do you need to choose different one evrytime ?

#43 11-08-12 20:03:23

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Well Done M6.  smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

Board footer