You are not logged in.

#1 01-05-12 09:32:41

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Ah well, could have done better.

Hi all,

Just done my first CT this morning in Sutton Coldfield. I will give a full write up later.

I got a 4. At least its better than a 1,2 or 3 and i know where improvement is needed.

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

01-05-12 09:32:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Ah well, could have done better.

#2 01-05-12 10:53:30

Promanade

Well done M6.. And well done for being honest.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 01-05-12 11:50:48

kaf
Verified Member
Website

It is a licence to work, that is all.

Grades mean jack...... you know what.

Well done.

#4 01-05-12 17:31:49

Terrier
Banned

So if you get a 4 there's no need to improve then!

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 01-05-12 17:47:17

martin Williams
Verified Member

Terrier wrote:

Is that a statement or a question?

Theres always room for improvment it does not matter if your grade is a 4, 5 or 6.

Last edited by martin Williams (01-05-12 17:49:06)

#6 01-05-12 17:52:23

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Well here's a write up for my CT, i'll try my best!

After looking on this forum about CT's, there was a lot of mixed messages on what people prefer to do, i.e. roleplay or real CT so i managed to get one of my pupils to come along for the ride and a free lesson. I'm quite glad as i didn't fancy role play, i just wanted to see how the ex would rate me with how i do a real lesson. I did very little preparation apart from sorting out a route and a bit of waffle for the recap and some Q & A for the lesson that i was going to do. There was no nerves on my part as i thought, just go for it and what will be, will be.

I was following on from my pupils last lesson as i introduced her to turning right at traffic light controlled crossroads so decided to carry on and get some practice in doing more of the same. I maybe should have thought of doing something a little easier as it was 08.45 and there was bucket loads of traffic around!

After waffling on about some aims and objectives (that's what they want to hear i believe!) i got into the Q & A about what she could remember about approaching/lane discipline/positioning in the junction/priorities/awareness and anticipation of other road users and their positioning/pedestrians/box junctions etc etc. and she remembered quite alot to my surprise so it was just down to practice.

Left the TC and the mistakes started to happen. Nothing too stressful, distance to vehicles when stopped in traffic, which was sorted straight away and then the use of mirrors which disappeared totally. The first junction we came to was a crossroads (TL's) so guided her through those before Q & A ing on the go about when to use the mirrors (app to crossings/slowing down due to hazards/traffic/changing direction, it all happened on one road as its chaotic leaving this TC the best of times, add a road full of roadworks and its a recipe for doom on a normal lesson never mind a CT. The next crossroads (TL's) was a bit of a nightmare as on the approach there is a longish hatched box just before you get to the lights and at the end of the box there is space for 1 car to wait at the stop line. She never saw the box as she was looking at taking up positon behind the car that was waiting at the lights so i managed to stop her before she got too far into the box and cause an obstruction to anyone wanting to turn across us. Got her through those lights  and this is when i would normally pull the pupil in and go through it again with her using a picture or two, but no, for some reason i decided to carry on and see how we did on the next set. Couple of easily rectified mistakes onto the next set of lights (she didn't see the speed limit sign change from 30 to 40 so was a bit slow, asked her how she could find out what the speed was and she was spot on, (repeater signs and looking into side roads). Another couple of mistakes with not paying attention to what other vehicles were doing in front of her as she was too busy building up speed to the limit. Bit more Q & A on the go as it was a longish stretch of road to the next set of lights and things started to look nice and rosy!

Next set of lights and it went pear shaped again. Busiest set of lights in the area and as we took up position in the middle of the road there was a double decker bus opposite waiting to turn right in the opposite direction to us so totally blocked the sight of any oncoming traffic and the lights to see when they had changed. Got her to edge forward a little more to increase her view and next thing we saw was traffic coming from our right as the lights had changed and we was stuck there. Got her to check both sides before clearing the junction to the sound of impatient horns blasting away. Got her to stick 2 fingers up at them as they went past (joke!). Nice easy drive to the next set of lights and prompted her through those with no problems. By now we had done 40 mins and i couldn't believe how quick it had gone!

My route was almost exhausted so managed to get in another 2 sets of lights which my pupil managed to negotiate on her own before heading back to the TC.

Quick recap/debrief/chit chat or whatever you want to call it and it was all over. First CT completed, now for the post mortem from the ex!

He told me i should have recapped more of the last lesson, most of it was going over what we was going to do on todays lesson. Fair point!
He said that he didn't think that learning had taken place, even though she managed to do the last 2 sets of lights by herself.
Couple of times we got too close to parked vehicles which i hadn't noticed, even though he was sat behind the driver. Whatever! I thought her clearance to obstructions was fine!
Also my pupil needs more work on awareness and anticipation when negotiating traffic lights. (It was only an hours session, there's plenty more time to practice!)
The last point was that i should have pulled her over and got the picture book out and gone over how to deal with the junctions again as she was having problems. Fair point and i will kick myself for it as i normally always do pull in.

so overall a pretty average result and a result that i agree with and the constructive critisism taken onboard with a view to some remedial action on my part.

Core comps.....4/4/4

Hope this makes sense. I'm just glad that ive got this first one out of the way.

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 01-05-12 18:40:04

Terrier
Banned

kaf wrote:

Well done.

I'm simply replying to this statement, I know what gaining a high grade means, but there again I have an open mind to things because I don't think I know it all, there is always room for improvement in all of us, those who think not have problems.

#8 01-05-12 18:57:19

MGM
Verified Member

kaf wrote:

Well done.

I agree. Well done for having the honesty to come on here and admit to grade 4.

#9 01-05-12 19:04:34

Terrier
Banned

That doesn't mean you should not improve, it's not a licence to earn money it's an assessment of your teaching ability, that is unless you know it all and can't improve.

#10 01-05-12 19:05:53

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

I ain't a one to come on here and bull$h1t and try and look good. I know i need improvement and with the result of my CT, at least i now know where i need to improve in the eyes of the DSA!

There's me thinking that my customers must be happy with the way i teach! (That's what they tell me anyway). Now i can go out and really impress them by using the feedback from the ex! big_smile

M6

#11 01-05-12 19:16:54

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

P.S. I was posting my write up in the hope that it would help someone who may be in the same situation as me with their CT! It was my first one and wasn't sure what to expect apart from reading posts on this forum, which did help loads, so thanks!

M6

#12 01-05-12 20:55:42

Evan
Administrator

m6northtoheaven wrote:

P.S. I was posting my write up in the hope that it would help someone who may be in the same situation as me with their CT! It was my first one and wasn't sure what to expect apart from reading posts on this forum, which did help loads, so thanks!

M6

Well done on the candid account of your check test M6 you don't have to justify yourself to anyone.

Take advice from those instructors who spend the least time on here, for they are the ones who are busiest, doing the job of teaching people to drive. Pontification on any subject is great but doing it is better.

We all have room for improvement, if we didn't we would be perfect. It's my understanding only one person who ever walked this earth was considered perfect and he was crucified, reading some posts on this forum I think some would still like to carry out this practice.

The account that M6 has given, is very similar to the accounts that used to be posted on this forum 6 or 7 years ago, sadly people tend to refrain from posting candid accounts of what they do these days. I wonder why?

Last edited by Evan (01-05-12 20:57:43)

#13 01-05-12 21:33:33

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi m6
Well done,grade 4,same as most adis in the uk[not just their 1st one].
So,NO learning took place;b@ll@cks[IMO].
This is the problem with the check test;teaching someone to drive is NOT a continually upward graph and never will be,catch a pup on a downslope[on c/t] and you are snookered.Its a crappy system.
So,well done again.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#14 01-05-12 21:46:04

colin166
Verified Member

Well done M6, I think that was a very nice write up and I for one have learned from it. It is always difficult to find help,advice and good honest write ups of check tests.
Next time you will know what to expect and how to improve the aims and objectives etc.
Colin.

#15 01-05-12 22:35:46

on board training

Hi M6,

A good result for the preparation and honest appraisal of how you felt it went.

Brian

#16 01-05-12 22:51:31

MAZ
Verified Member

evan wrote:

It's my understanding only one person who ever walked this earth was considered perfect and he was crucified.............................

Evan, sometimes I wonder where you get your so-called "up to date" information? Pathê News perhaps??

Its obvious I am still here. whistle.gif

Maz.

#17 02-05-12 06:32:32

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Thanks for the replies peeps, can't wait for the next one! lol

M6

#18 02-05-12 07:00:53

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

When I did my last one two and a bit years ago, Hector former member on here said that the 'worst result was a 5 as you have to wait 4 years for a chance to improve. Is certainly a long time.

At least you have only two years, and it sounds like you're looking forward to it smile

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#19 02-05-12 07:42:50

G
Verified Member
Website

Good result, I would ask just 1 question. If it wasn't a check test would you have done the same lesson, if not why not? You only mistake in my opinion was you put in a few things that you felt they wanted you to do rather than just doing exactly what you normally would. Exactly what I did on my 1st check test & most of the feedback seemed to be in those areas.

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#20 02-05-12 08:24:07

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Well done M6! I got a 4 on my first 2 check tests. smile

My first 2 I tried too hard, did things differently for the sake of the CT.
My recent one I chilled out and did a TOTALLY NORMAL lesson and got my first 5. Although by that point I suppose I also had 5 years of experience too.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#21 02-05-12 09:52:48

fishie
Banned
Website

I like the rest would like to offer my congrat's as well. When i first passed (on my third go at the 3rd exam) i nearly passed out from sheer joy. The first check test was imo an other of those bum tighting things that happen now and then and i can still remember mine. Once again well done.
Martin

www.fishersdrivingschool.co.uk
Remember only dead fish's go with the flow
Grade 6 by fluke this and last time
Some cardigan in the wardrobe non ordit

#22 02-05-12 11:51:59

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

fishie wrote:

I like the rest would like to offer my congrat's as well. When i first passed (on my third go at the 3rd exam) i nearly passed out from sheer joy. The first check test was imo an other of those bum tighting things that happen now and then and i can still remember mine. Once again well done.
Martin

I was on my last chance at part 3 also. I'll NEVER forget the SE asking me "how do you think you've done?" I remember mumbling I wasn't sure how I'd done. He said "I'm pleased to tell you you've passed" nearly 5 years ago now.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#23 02-05-12 18:36:54

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Terrier wrote:

Well done on twisting my statement.

Even a grade 6 can improve. But few ADI's would consider a check test the definitive guide to a persons ability.

A 6 does not guarantee you normally perform well on all lessons, nor does a 4 prove you are less effective than someone else.

I care not what the DSA think of me, as long as they think enough of me to allow me to keep working, I care greatly about what my customers think of me however.

Just my personal view, you are welcome to have yours, but do not twist my words to suit yourself.

#24 02-05-12 18:56:07

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Hi G, i would have gone about the lesson the same way. the only thing  i should have done a little differently was the recap at the beginning, i felt as though i needed to get the girl driving as soon as possible and not spend too much time in the car park going over every little detail of what went on in the previous lesson which is what the ex wanted.
I briefly went over what we did (which was roundabouts with an introduction to turning right at crossroads towards the end (guided)) and intended to spend the whole of the next lesson (CT) doing the crossroads. I set out the aims/obj of the lesson and then Q & A on what she could remember on the crossroads from the previous lesson and she remembered quite a bit, so carried on with the drive.
The ex wanted me to go over the roundabouts more and bring in the routines used on the r'bouts into the crossroads, which to me is a totally different subject! Apart from the mirrors, signals and getting into the right hand lane on approach.
I didn't understand why he told me that learning hadn't taken place as it did in my eyes and the pupils (which really matters).
One other thing that annoyed me a little was he didn't like the way i called my pupil "matey", i call all my pupils matey, i ask at the very beginning if they mind, so i don't call them by someones elses name by mistake! big_smile.

Thanks again for the replies.

M6

#25 02-05-12 20:35:13

kaf
Verified Member
Website

m6northtoheaven wrote:

One other thing that annoyed me a little was he didn't like the way i called my pupil "matey", i call all my pupils matey, i ask at the very beginning if they mind, so i don't call them by someones elses name by mistake! big_smile.

M6

This of course will make it impossible for anybody to learn from you.  Quite rightly you were downgraded.   lol

What a good example of the sort of thing that justifies my view of the stupidity of using a CT grade to justify your 'ability'

Board footer