You are not logged in.

#51 19-08-05 22:53:06

sparkle

Re: round the back

I say we do the crab.

I'll post a pic tomorrow of a pupil doing it and you can all decide.

19-08-05 22:53:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#52 19-08-05 22:54:17

VandADI
Administrator

Sparkle, Im intrigued  lol

#53 19-08-05 22:55:33

Anonymous

It's not me that's been arragogant.  We're going round in circles and it's not just round the car.  If you don't understand something why post an insult?  Why not ask for more clarification?

You teach your pups what you want and I'll teach my pups my way.  Nothing on here has changed my mind.  Therefore as far as I am concerned this thread has run it's course for me.

Read Jonk's notices and please take note.

Wessex.

#54 19-08-05 22:57:36

sparkle

Im still enjoying the thread... and others are.

It certainly hasnt run its course.

this is a good debate.

I say crab.

#55 19-08-05 23:10:10

Badger

I'm surprised that this is a problem for some.

Coming round the back of the car gives you a better view of approaching traffic and gives them a better view of you.

Simple as that.

badger

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#56 19-08-05 23:14:19

T

Post deleted.  Way off topic Please sort your differences out off the Forum. Thank you  -  Badger

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#57 19-08-05 23:32:31

firehydrant

Wessex wrote:

Most children are a lot smaller than the height of the vehicle and so will not be seen until out in the road.

Stick to the thread topic.

Excuse me?

This IS the thread topic. Surprising as it may seem, some very sound reasons predate certain people's birthdays, and that doesn't make them any less relevant.

The reason that the rear of the car WAS preferred WAS because there was more of the person visible to oncoming traffic when they went behind it, rather than the fraction visible if they went in front of it. Children were cited simply because they were likely to run out and there was a time when attempts were actually made to control them and alter their behaviour. (For what it is worth, a child can be 6' tall and still be partially masked by the car if they pass in front of it - just like an adult would be).

I have not seen a good sound explanation for why the front is better yet. And I don't foresee one that will improve on the reasoning behind going round the back, either.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#58 19-08-05 23:45:43

T

T wrote:

I can't imagine that this rule has anything to do with the oncoming traffic being able to see you completely as the back of your car most likely will be just in front of the car behind. What if the vehicle behind your car is a van or a lorry?

Can i throw this back at both Badger and FH. Although i still practice and teach going round the back I would like your views on it.

#59 19-08-05 23:58:37

Badger

Unless the vehicle has parked within a couple of feet behind, the zones of vision are still better because the approaching vehicles will still see the full body  -   albeit a little later.

Hope that makes sense -  it's late and Im not thinking straight.

badger

#60 20-08-05 00:35:57

firehydrant

Badger wrote:

Unless the vehicle has parked within a couple of feet behind, the zones of vision are still better because the approaching vehicles will still see the full body  -   albeit a little later.

AND... if you walk behind your own car, you are hidden by one car less so the oncoming vehicles have a better chance of seeing you.

I know that my eyesight tends to be more acute when looking through one car instead of two or more.

#61 20-08-05 05:22:05

T

Ok then, it's a busy road for parking (as many roads can be) where the cars are all parked as closely as can be and your car is approx mid street. Also, what if your car is parked on a very slight bend (not the type to merit "you shouldn't be parked on a bend")?. Would the oncoming drivers be aware of the fact that your car is the one in front or perhaps that you are the driver of the van? What i'm getting at here is that as a driver, under these circumstances i don't think that i'd be thinking of whether they are the driver of one of the vehicles or in fact they are just trying to cross the road. What if your car is parked just after a bus stop and a bus has stopped? although the oncoming traffic should be cautious at this point, is this regarded as safer?

#62 20-08-05 07:36:40

Anonymous

skip qualify wrote:

hi all

whats the exact reason we give for making the pupil go round the back of the car when swapping seats ?

thx   :shock:

In case it has slipped peoples minds, this was the original question.

firehydrant wrote:
Wessex wrote:

Most children are a lot smaller than the height of the vehicle and so will not be seen until out in the road.

Stick to the thread topic.

Excuse me?

This IS the thread topic. Surprising as it may seem, some very sound reasons predate certain people's birthdays, and that doesn't make them any less relevant.

The reason that the rear of the car WAS preferred WAS because there was more of the person visible to oncoming traffic when they went behind it, rather than the fraction visible if they went in front of it. Children were cited simply because they were likely to run out and there was a time when attempts were actually made to control them and alter their behaviour. (For what it is worth, a child can be 6' tall and still be partially masked by the car if they pass in front of it - just like an adult would be).

I have not seen a good sound explanation for why the front is better yet. And I don't foresee one that will improve on the reasoning behind going round the back, either.

Be very careful, FH, when you edit a quote and take something out of context.  I was talking about children who walk out between vehicles into the road.  This was brought up but is irrelevant to the original question.

There is a world of differance between a driver observing the traffic flow waiting to get into his vehicle and an 8 year old that is blindly walking out into the road between two vehicles.

In Bournemouth candidates and DE walk out of the TC waiting room and down steps then turn right to approach the vehicles waiting at the side of the road.  I have never seen any examiner tell a candidate to walk around the back of the car to open the drivers door.  In reality it doesn't happen.

Like I said, it's raining, you want to get in the car the shortest distance between two points is a straightest line as possible.

Walk in the road facing the direction of oncoming traffic.  Every child is taught that.

Wessex.

#63 20-08-05 07:40:24

sparkle

Wessex wrote:

Walk in the road facing the direction of oncoming traffic.  Every child is taught that.

Wessex.

I was taught to walk like a crab. Everyones wins then.

crab.jpg

#64 20-08-05 12:38:46

firehydrant

Wessex wrote:

Be very careful, FH, when you edit a quote and take something out of context.

Be careful with your accusations, Wessex. I might conclude that it is a form of censorship smile

Nothing was edited out of context. The reason walking round the back USED to be advised  WAS because of the risk of NOT being seen by ONCOMING TRAFFIC and SPECIFICALLY with children WHO WERE SMALLER and more susceptible.

Surprising as it may seem - and as I've already hinted at - there WAS a time when recommended behaviour had sound reasons behind it just like I have explained. They also used to use the same instructions for all ages because of the sound reasoning involved. Unlike this 'lets just change things because I'm bored and need to make a name for myself' attitude that prevails today.

None of that is out of context or off topic. And especially not just because it happens to not be what YOU believe wink

So we have in one corner:

Go round the back - because there is less chance of INANIMATE cars and objects shielding you, thus the observational skills of other drivers is not challenged and you are relatively safe. You have a neck which swivels and can keep lookout as you walk the 1 metre to the driver door. This logic has prevailed since the 40s and 50s.

And in another:

Go round the front - because you don't have to swivel your neck (no doubt reducing the risk of litigation at some stage if you were to crick it) and are automatically facing traffic. (I won't mention the ones about checking the bonnet or whatever 'cos they have to be jokes). This logic appears to be the work of some youngster at the DSA with nothing better to do.

#65 20-08-05 12:42:57

sparkle

24.gif

#66 20-08-05 21:08:53

LeanneADI
Verified Member

I always thought the whole point of getting them to walk around the back of the car is to do with the door width.  It would be opened more from the front and then they have to walk around the door to get in.  Causing a greater risk than opening from the rear and sliding into the car.

Leanne

#67 20-08-05 21:11:23

Graham10

thats correct

Graham

#68 20-08-05 23:44:03

Anonymous

LeanneADI wrote:

I always thought the whole point of getting them to walk around the back of the car is to do with the door width.  It would be opened more from the front and then they have to walk around the door to get in.  Causing a greater risk than opening from the rear and sliding into the car.

You walk to the door, open it with your right hand and slide in.  You dont open the door wide then walk around it.  :?

Wessex.

#69 21-08-05 05:53:59

sparkle

You shuffle round the car sideways then slide in crab.jpgcrab.jpgcrab.jpgcrab.jpg

#70 21-08-05 08:54:56

T

Sparkle, you win. Crab style it is from now on.

#71 21-08-05 09:32:27

luchell

sparkle im desperate to see a picture of this crab manouvre that takes place to get in the drivers door wink  lol  im visuallising it and i think im getting it all wrong! personally i go round the back, open the door with my right hand and hop in. i wouldnt get in if there was any traffic heading for me, i wait by the rear of my vehicle for the cars to pass.

i want to see the crab though! lol

#72 21-08-05 10:09:08

T

luchell wrote:

open the door with my right hand and hop in.

And there lies your problem. By hopping in you're doing the bunny style. I don't think that would count as a safe entry.

#73 21-08-05 10:27:12

luchell

well i only get in the car door if no traffic is around. without standing by the car and actually doing it im just saying what i think i do :?  lol  ill have a reall look into it out of interest on monday during first lesson. that way ill be saying what i actually do do. im just guessing there. bunny style??!! :shock:

#74 21-08-05 14:30:25

Airmiles

luchell,

You are parked on a busy high street, hundreds upon hundreds of cars whizzing by, you want to get into your car and go home, the dog needs walking, how long will you wait before getting into your car, with all that traffic flowing by ?

Get in through the left side pax door ?

Or walk around the back and not see that one of the whizzing by drivers in the stream of traffic is too close to yourself, and oh dear you are about to be, mangled / squashed / marmalized / splatted / .......what a mess ???

#75 21-08-05 14:36:15

firehydrant

Airmiles wrote:

Or walk around the back and not see that one of the whizzing by drivers in the stream of traffic is too close to yourself, and oh dear you are about to be, mangled / squashed / marmalized / splatted / .......what a mess ???

And I suppose you'd win the lottery if you went round the front, with guaranteed 100% certainty of nothing untoward happening...   roll

'Course you would wink

Board footer