You are not logged in.

#1 06-04-12 19:16:49

VandADI
Administrator

PTLLS course

Would it be a good idea to read any books that would work alongside the PTLLS course, and if so, what ones?

06-04-12 19:16:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: PTLLS course

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 06-04-12 19:28:24

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Teaching Today by Geoff Petty.

http://www.geoffpetty.com/

Hope this helps.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#3 06-04-12 19:55:18

ratty

I have to say that having done a PTTLS course last year it was a bit of an eye opener, but for the wrong reasons.

College has certainly changed in the last 30 years or so since I was last there!

Regarding the actual qualification, knowing how much work I didn't put into the course and yet still passed, I think it is just about worthless. I did it because it was a requirement for a contract I was interested in, so it served a purpose, but I would not recommend it for any other reason.

#4 06-04-12 21:33:27

on board training

Hi,

But any course is worthless if you don't approach it with the correct frame of mind - look at ADI qualification for a start!!!

Brian

#5 06-04-12 21:44:38

Madiggy
Verified Member

If you are genuinely interested the consider DTTLS it is much more worthwhile and covers much more.

CONFIDENTIAL CHECK TEST TRAINING
http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk/
Life & Executive Coaching
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 07-04-12 06:58:29

ratty

on board training wrote:

Hi,

But any course is worthless if you don't approach it with the correct frame of mind - look at ADI qualification for a start!!!

Brian

I think is can be very true.

Perhaps I should have explained myself better.

For some time now I have thought about going back to college to do a physics or maths degree. When the PTLLS qualification came along I though I would use it as a tester to see if I could comfortably go back to the higher education environment. I don't have children so I did not understand that after school virtually everyone goes on to a college now so I was not expecting so many people to be there and I was not expecting the college to be geared up for the high numbers and for the different standards of those who now attend. When I was last at college in the early 1980s you had to have passed enough qualifications to qualify to get onto a course and most of us were sponsored by our employers as well. Now everyone goes and qualifications are not an issue. From the very start, despite there being only experienced people on the course, the youngest of us was at least thirty, it was apparent that the course and college was set up for younger people and I felt that we were treated almost as kids, not adults. It was made clear at the start that in this day and age the work 'fail' is not used because it is not politically correct for young people to think of themselves having failed something. Not sure how this prepares them for the future, but there you go! Because there were so many students with differing abilities and because the idea is for most of them to pass, the standard of the courses were noticeably low. The courses were aimed at the students as opposed to the students being picked for the courses. I found this both surprising and depressing.

We were told that work had to be submitted by a certain date and that we had to attend for a certain number of hours during a certain time scale in order to complete the course. It later became apparent that some on the course took time off which was not made up and some were late in submitting work but again this was overlooked for some reasons. Despite ground rules being one of the first subjects covered, most of the ground rules set down were then broken! The course is aimed at people who are going to be planning lessons but the reality of the contract I was interested in is that I am given a presentation which I have to stick to so even if I think what I have been given is wrong, I can't change it. The course covered the importance of recognising different learning methods but I think most people who are in this job know this already, different people learn in different ways. There was homework to do but we were told which books to buy and it was acceptable just to copy certain passages from these books and then reference the books. There was not a lot of thinking involved or required to pass. By the way, you can 'pass', you just can't really 'fail'. The problem I had with this course was that because of what I have described above, the college had lost credibility in my eyes, if you can't fail something, what is the point of doing it in the first place? Perhaps I had joined the course for the wrong reasons, I wanted the qualification as opposed to the knowledge if that makes sense(?), when credibility was lost in the college, credibility was also lost in the course. In order to pass I worked for about two hours on the day prior to each college day, mostly just copying out passages from a book onto a computer. If I could type with more than one finger this time could have been reduced noticeably. The course covered what to me is common sense, yes I know common sense is not common, but bearing in mind that this is supposed to be a further step up after the C&G 7300 course, a think it should have been far more challenging. Like every course I have taken I learned something from it but I could not honestly recommend doing this course unless gaining this qualification is important.

One thing which gaining the qualification did re-enforce to me is that qualifications do not necessarily directly equate to standards. I see people who are for ever pushing a long list of their qualifications at others but this does not mean that they are necessarily better at doing something than someone who does not have the list of qualifications.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 07-04-12 06:59:35

ratty

Madiggy wrote:

If you are genuinely interested the consider DTTLS it is much more worthwhile and covers much more.

I'm sure you are right.

#8 08-04-12 16:50:15

ralge
Verified Member

By contrast, I found PTLLS worthwhile in that we were required to apply the new-found knowledge of learning styles etc to good use in developing mini and longer lesson plans and then delivering the lesson to fellow pupils. Doing this and watching others deliver their own material in a variety of ways AND learning stuff along the way was very instructive.
Reflecting on delivery against the lesson plan and learning objectives cemented in a new set of teaching tools and abilities, so from my perspective the course did what it said it would:  prepare me for teaching in a lifelong learning context.

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#9 08-04-12 17:21:53

boing boing
Verified Member
Website

Regarding study aids, I found the Ann Gravells titles indispensable.  I found the course very worthwhile and rewarding, mostly due to the excellent and highly experienced course tutor.  Once I realised (after the first week) that the course was also about developing your own self learning skills I read around the course content which I felt gave added value.

I know of adi's who have completed the course with less experienced tutors and more intensively who have found the course less rewarding.

#10 08-04-12 17:29:07

VandADI
Administrator

Thanks everyone, my course starts on the 16th April and wanted to get the "heads up" on reading material.  smile
Happy Easter everyone.

#11 08-04-12 20:07:49

ratty

The Ann Gravells book covered everything that was required for the course.

#12 09-04-12 11:27:21

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

Good luck with the course, do keep us updated to your progress, with so many doing PTTLS at the moment it could be very thought provoking.

Why did you decide to do PTTLS?

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#13 09-04-12 11:48:31

VandADI
Administrator

Hi LA,
The course is not government funded, it is one I am paying for, apart from adding to my CPD, It would help me with class room presentations and theory test training sessions in the schools that my driving school is linked to, also the possibility of being able to carry out the driver awareness programmes.

#14 09-04-12 22:14:24

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

ratty wrote:

The Ann Gravells book covered everything that was required for the course.

Which book do you refer to? She has authored many books on the subject.

#15 10-04-12 11:23:57

trunkmonkey

VandADI wrote:

Hi LA,
The course is not government funded, it is one I am paying for, apart from adding to my CPD, It would help me with class room presentations and theory test training sessions in the schools that my driving school is linked to, also the possibility of being able to carry out the driver awareness programmes.

The ACPO Matrix relating to the Driver Awareness programme is still under review but from a recent meeting on the 8th March, they are looking at  PTLLS Level 4.

#16 14-04-12 17:35:52

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

Interesting comments from my point of view..........as someone who has the full teaching qualifications l arranged a PTLLS course for instructors locally at the college l lecture at. They took the course with a colleague of mine lecturing and loved it, did the level 4 which came as a bit of a surprise for some, l made some enquiries about teaching PTLLS thro anydriver but am thankful l didn't pursue it further as the feedback appears their standards are very poor, l have recently completed research on the issues adult learners face when returning to a period of formal study and had much feedback from a variety of instructors having completed PTLLS.

My own view would be that PTLLS ( preparing to teach in the lifelong learning sector) "should" not teach you anything new as instructors as it should have been covered before completing Part 3 but l am aware that for many people training vie the big training schools this is not always the case!... DTLLS ( diploma in teaching in the lifelong learning sector) for a first up would not be a practical option in my view as you need some of the teaching theory under your belt but CTLLS ( certificate in teaching in the lifelong learning sector) which is often run as a 20 week level 4 course would really open your eyes on the world of teaching, coaching, call it what you will.............

Oh and books wise in my view, Teaching today,  by Geoff Petty is preferable to Ann Gavells, preparing to teach, as Petty is highly regarded and very readable..

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

#17 14-04-12 17:56:44

VandADI
Administrator

I was going to do the PTLLS through AnyDriver but have been told that the funding has been withdrawn due to high number of people dropping out. Anyone else heard this?

#18 14-04-12 18:02:47

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

I haven't heard about funding changes, but have heard very negative feedback from students who learnt through them, compared to college courses, and having spoken to Anydriver re teaching with them , am aware they had problems with some of their present teachers... Look at colleges locally, some colleges receive funding for teacher training courses, ours was run as a 10 week course at a total cost of £125 ish including exams with BTEC

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

Board footer