You are not logged in.

Professional online theory test software for independent driving instructors  photo Banner-Animation2-1.gif  photo Brentacre.gif

#1 13-03-12 00:23:34

Dalek Sec
Verified Member

Changes to Driving Licence Rules from January 2013

Has anyone looked at this and if it could affect us?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … /DG_201187

At first glance, no change for cars but there are changes for bikes and larger vehicles - I wonder where grandfather rights feature?  Perhaps I'll have another read?

13-03-12 00:23:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Changes to Driving Licence Rules from January 2013

#2 13-03-12 08:33:48

johnp
Verified Member

That seems to be in line with my renewal of my licence at 70.
I have been trying to retain my entitlement to tow a heavy trailer/ quad / motorbike etc.
Still waiting for reply.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#3 13-03-12 09:02:59

reddragonbus
Verified Member
Website

They appear to be raising the age for bus driver to 24?

I thought this government were supposed to be cutting red tape?

Jonathan Smith ADI
Edinburgh
B, BE, B1, C, CE, C1E, D, DE, D1E, f,k,l,n,p PPL(H)

#4 13-03-12 09:26:16

pedigreemalc
Verified Member

Increasing the driving age for bus drivers to 24??? But you can drive a 44 ton class 1 hgv at 18!!

Just doesn't make sense

been there done that got the t`shirt

#5 13-03-12 10:25:52

(ROG)
Verified Member

B and B+E kg weights - actual or MAM????

Towing with B - has the rule where the trailer MAM must not be more than the vehicle unladen weight been scrapped?

Last edited by (ROG) (13-03-12 10:28:02)

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#6 13-03-12 23:45:06

David Underhill
Website

(ROG) wrote:

Towing with B - has the rule where the trailer MAM must not be more than the vehicle unladen weight been scrapped?

The site says "New driving licence rules will come into force on 19 January 2013, for drivers of cars and small vehicles (category B and BE) to tow trailers. The new rules will apply if you pass your test after that date. Find out how these changes could affect you."

#7 14-03-12 00:30:25

graham121150
Verified Member
Website

David Underhill wrote:
(ROG) wrote:

The site says "New driving licence rules will come into force on 19 January 2013, for drivers of cars and small vehicles (category B and BE) to tow trailers. The new rules will apply if you pass your test after that date. Find out how these changes could affect you."

How are you doing Dave.

Graham

#8 14-03-12 10:49:30

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

pedigreemalc wrote:

Increasing the driving age for bus drivers to 24??? But you can drive a 44 ton class 1 hgv at 18!!

Just doesn't make sense

Where on earth did you get this from?

The link above gives age 18 for service routes of 50k or under.
and age 20 after passing a PCV driving test and Driver CPC initial qualification.

#9 14-03-12 17:56:53

reddragonbus
Verified Member
Website

Category    Description     Minimum age
D    Any bus designed and constructed for the carriage of more than eight passengers in addition to the driver, with a trailer up to 750kg    24*,**,***,****,*****
D+E    Any bus designed and constructed for the carriage of more than eight passengers in addition to the driver, with a trailer over 750kg     24*,**,***,****,*****

Jonathan Smith ADI
Edinburgh

#10 14-03-12 18:19:23

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi RDB
But if you scroll down you will still find the exceptions (denoted by the various *** ) which I posted, so it seems as if the only people that 24 applies to would be those who want to drive a bus without having professional qualifications, such as drivers of classics or collectables, or possibly mechanics who I believe are currently exempted from PSV/PCV licence rules.

Last edited by pegasus (14-03-12 18:20:56)

#11 14-03-12 18:21:51

reddragonbus
Verified Member
Website

pegasus wrote:

Hi RDB
But if you scroll down you will still find the exceptions (denoted by the various *** ) which I posted, so it seems as if the only people that 24 applies to would be those who want to drive a bus without having professional qualifications, such as drivers of classics or collectables, or possibly mechanics who I believe are currently exempted from PSV/PCV licence rules.

Why change it to 24 then?

Cutting red tape?

Jonathan Smith ADI
Edinburgh

#12 14-03-12 18:27:15

pegasus
Verified Member

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile  big_smile

#13 15-03-12 19:55:38

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

It's a stupid nightmare for biking.  Can't do DAS now until 24 and if you don't do DAS, you could end up doing three bike tests to get a full licence.  Ridiculous and complicated.  Generally, it will probably mean that 17 yr olds will continue riding on L plates for two years before taking any test, rather than get some training and do a test as they do now.  And as for REDUCING the top speed of mopeds to 45km - utter madness.  At least at the moment peds can keep up around town, next year they won't even be able to do that, thus encouraging even more stupid overtakes by cars.
Makes you despair when they can introduce changes that just confuse and complicate, will deter people from taking tests and staying untrained on Ls, and make peds more dangerous.  Doh!

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#14 15-03-12 22:56:46

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Coasting Mart wrote:

... And as for REDUCING the top speed of mopeds to 45km - utter madness.  At least at the moment peds can keep up around town, next year they won't even be able to do that, thus encouraging even more stupid overtakes by cars. ...

I can understand your concern.
As far as I can tell, down here in the Northern Territory they are limited to 50k kmh / 31.2 mph and they are a real pain - they can't keep up with traffic on faster roads and some models don't seem to be able to keep up on 50 kmh roads (either that or the rider doesn't bother to maintain a reasonable speed).
Some riders are good at monitoring their mirrors, keeping well to left and assisting overtaking cars, but many are not.
I always worry that one of them will be killed by a nervous learner driver one day.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#15 17-03-12 01:31:17

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

Well I posted the date of the new licences 6 years ago, on the announced date, and everyone said I didn't know what I was talking about, and it would never happen!

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#16 18-03-12 09:19:59

pedigreemalc
Verified Member

pegasus wrote:

Hi

pedigreemalc wrote:

Just doesn't make sense

Where on earth did you get this from?

The link above gives age 18 for service routes of 50k or under.
and age 20 after passing a PCV driving test and Driver CPC initial qualification.

What is the minimum age can you drive an HGV vehicle?

The minimum age you can drive an HGV/LGV has been reduced from 21 to 18 years if age. This means you can drive a cat C+E vehicle (class 1) at 18. It is, in part an attempt to attract younger persons into the transport industry. The average age of the professional HGV/LGV driver currently is 50. The transport industry needs new blood and this a way of addressing that issue.

This is taken from an earth web site on hgv driver training

been there done that got the t`shirt

#17 18-03-12 10:46:26

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

Well I posted the date of the new licences 6 years ago, on the announced date, and everyone said I didn't know what I was talking about, and it would never happen!

Its a great pity the DSA didn't read your post cos they still haven't sorted out how the 3rd Directive will be implemented.  First details only released with less than 12 months to go, and these details are by no means finalized.  Training providers will have to change their fleet of bikes (for a small and insignificant change in power) and the whole thing is a confused mess, none of which will have any impact on road safety as far as I can see, indeed some aspects will actually make things worse.  We've been waiting for ages (years!) for the Govt/DSA to say how it will be implemented but they are very late with the story, and only half the story at that.

Europe/Govt 'crats = idiots.  They don't do much, and when they do, it either has little or no impact or makes things worse.  Makes MPTCs seem like a good idea!  One can only conclude that they want to reduce accident stats by making it a longer, more off-putting process of gaining a licence, thus reducing the numbers on two wheels.  This at a time when many people, esp. in cities, are looking at the low cost of bikes and their benefits.  We're regularly getting folk starting biking who are giving up their car cos of expense.  With insurance on cars so high, peds and bikes are often the only option for young people to get to college or jobs, and have some independence.
Anyone who thinks that making peds slower is going to be safer has obviously no idea about the realities of using bikes on the road.  Doh!

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#18 18-03-12 13:05:47

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

The DVLA went through it in great detail at a DSA conference. They were running trials at the time and the big question was how would ADI's be able to read the data without a counterpart. This is still a question raised at local associations.

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#19 18-03-12 14:42:27

(ROG)
Verified Member

The LGV ages for trucks above 7.5 tonnes GVW reduced from 21 to 18 on 10 Sept 2009 with the introduction of the driver cpc

The condition is that anyone, even privately, driving a LGV over 7.5 tonnes and under the age of 21 MUST pass the initial driver cpc
The new rules do not seem to say that - because it lists these as being all at age 21 and makes no mention of private LGV driving such as a horsebox

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_201206 wrote:

The minimum age for driving medium and large goods and or passenger carrying vehicles (categories C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, and DE) applies to non-professional driving only.

For professional driving, some of these vehicles can be driven at a younger age if the driver has a Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification.

I have emailed the DVLA to make certain that they are going to exclude private LGV drivers under that age of 21 but they seem to be confused and have sent it further up their chain for a definitive answer

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Board footer