You are not logged in.

#1 05-07-05 19:19:26

Lady P
Verified Member

So Sad.....Failed Part III Today :(

sad Failed my part III today - got 3-3. First attempt. bit scary. my nerves got the better of me & all the information in my head couldn't find the way out in time. :oops:
Got PST 5, Emergency Stop & Mirrors: Progress/ Hesitancy - NDP.
Does anyone know where I can get a bank of Q&A from, just to see if there's any that I don't have?
Also, can anyone recommend a trainer for Part III in west country?
Thanks....................
wink

'The most important thing is not to stop questioning.'
Albert Einstein
..............Oh Albert, where were you when I needed you?

05-07-05 19:19:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: So Sad.....Failed Part III Today :(

#2 05-07-05 20:35:33

tuftyclub
Verified Member
Website

Lady P, hard luck, failed mine last week on the same PST, 3-3 isn't bad though, you're very close, your nerves next time will be gone now you know what to expect.
What did the examiner tell you in the debrief? This is what you can / should build on.
Where are you in the westcountry?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 05-07-05 20:38:03

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Lady P
Sorry to read about your little hickup to make you feel better most people don't pass the first time, I say most the minority pass first time.
Now you know what it's like to try out the part 3 now you know what to expect next time.
What went wrong anyway? other persons may benifit at you expense but if we all share then we may have more passes out of our own stories.
All the best
Si.

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

#4 05-07-05 20:48:08

Natalie

Lady P

Sorry to hear about your fail.  I failed my first attempt with a 4/3 on Controls and Crossroads.  Have my second attempt next Tuesday trying not to think about it at the moment.

Do you know where you went wrong?  I don't want that PST if I can help it.

Natalie

#5 05-07-05 21:00:26

luchell

why not natalie? youre on a pink are you? if you know you have a weakness in that area do what i do. in a 2 hour lesson for instance do 2 mini pst lessons of half hour. if its say emergancy stop/mirrors you dread do it and do it and do it again evaluate yourself after each full 2 hour lesson and write down what you forgot to include. make sure you include it next time. i can tell you this much you'll never dread that pst again.

make use of your pink and get everything out of it you can. i will cancel my first attempt if there is a pst i dread getting or am uncomfortable with. to me that means im not ready. please dont take offence its just how i view the part three. if youve done it so many times with your learners as a mini lesson you will breeze the subject youre given on the day lol

#6 05-07-05 21:14:58

Natalie

No offence taken at all  smile .  I have done it a lot on lessons.  I am ok with the Emergency stop part I just can't always think of things to say about mirrors and then I get myself all flustered and it goes out of my head altogether then.  Am working on it believe me.  Thanks for the advice.

Keep getting told that because my test is at 8.45 I shouldn't get anything that will mean driving round to find a suitable area but I am not banking on it I can tell you.

Nats

#7 05-07-05 21:26:17

luchell

good idea not to bank on it lol  at least youll be ready for the unexpected. just thought id mention a couple. perhaps it will help some. so emergency stop / mirrors = dual element pst. so dont brief on the e.stop til youre at the training area for it. tell them that(we'll go into the emergency stop when we get somewhere suitable first we're going to talk about use of the mirrors sort of thing).

start with telling them youre going to look at mirror use on the way. so whats the importance of checking our mirrors and why? what are we looking for, when do we use them. pick up on any mistakes in the answers given then get them on the move. on approach to say a parked car ask where are you going to check then drop off instruction as improment is showing. q and a about whats not seen in the mirrors so important to be aware it doesnt show us everything.

also why do we check middle mirror before door mirror? (convex makes things look further away so we need the true picture first) from what i can imagine this has to be a classic fault checking the wrong ones in the wrong order so consequences of doing so like convex problems etc...

obviously you cant brief initially on all these consequences just briefly lol  you can use them once faults creep in as you need consequences in the analysis.

ask q and a all the way to area at suitable times so why do we check that middle mirror before braking? consequences and importance of etc. so basically quick brief with q and a on what where why and how then off you go correcting whats missing on the way. end that part of the pst saying ok then. so we're well aware of whats going on around us all the time thanks to mirrors. do you think we'd need to check our mirror before an emergency stop? if yes you can explain why not if no why not and go for the emergency stop part.

ok so i appreciate my q and a thats written here isnt great but im typing quickly off the top of my head but you get the idea. just my thoughts you understand.

#8 05-07-05 21:34:04

Lady P
Verified Member

Thanks everyone for your support - much appreciated.
I have to say that the debrief/ feedback was valuable & gave me the encouragement to nail it next time. I knew as soon as I'd got through phase 1 that I'd failed as I forgot to tell him to keep both feet down on the pedals & he stalled twice! Very basic error (I know, I know) & I would not instruct like this.
Also, on the hesitancy, he was going too slow so I asked him if he knew what the speed limit was & he replied correctly but I then omitted to ask him how to check the speed he was doing & he kept driving too slowly.
He was driving close to the kerb so I asked him what the NDP was & he said 1mtr so I told him to go out to the right just a little more but he kept coming back in again! If I'd asked him if he knew what 1mtr looked like then I would have found out that he didn't know & that's what the error was!
To be honest with you, I know all of this but when it came down to it I totally lost my nerve & my mind went blank!
I absoultely have to get my Q&A up to speed for next time - can anyone help?
Tuftyclub & Natalie - best of luck next time. & you're right: it's fear of the unknown.
Can u tell me what u failed on for ur PST's? Also, I did mine at 3pm & it was very busy around the test centre & pi**ing down so don't bank on it having to be quiet..................

#9 05-07-05 21:37:16

luchell

are you on a pink lady p? ive found mine invaluable if used correctly for filling the old question bank up. well done on getting so near though. you'll nail it next time lol

#10 05-07-05 21:47:41

Natalie

Thanks for all that information it is all that kind of thing that just goes from my head whilst I am talking about it.  But it makes perfect sense.

On my first attempt I got a 4 on controls which is a pass but I didn't mention about the different types of glass in the mirrors and also didn't mention how to move the head restraint if he needed to so hence the 4.

On crossroads I missed two things.  The first was the fact that he kept putting the handbrake on everytime we came to a junction.  He made it really obvious too by really pulling on it but at the time my mind was blank to the fact that he was at test standard and should have been using his bite instead of the handbrake every time.  The other thing I missed was when he was taking a right turn he cut the corner, now I got that and talked him through it but whilst he was cutting the corner he was also coasting and I didn't notice.  I think now for sure after having been on a pink badge I know more how the car feels and is controlled when coasting whereas before I just relied on seeing the foot go down.  If I had just seen these two things I would have been ok.  I have a good feeling about the next one and hope to pass it.

Will keep you all posted of course.

Keep going though Lady P we will both get there I am sure.

Nats

#11 05-07-05 21:54:51

Crane
Verified Member
Website

Hello Lady P,

I bought a very useful book on the DIA website.  It's called 'get that grade six'.  I found it hard to Q & A, although I have a lot of examples in my training pack.  This book is a combined version of three seperate books.  One of them is 'What, Where, When, Why, How?" (Q & A technique). 

Good luck for round 2.

I'm sure you can do it,too!

#12 05-07-05 21:58:02

Lady P
Verified Member

Yes, I'm on a pink so I think I'm going to have to try to time a PST on a much more regular basis to get myself up to speed. I'm OK when I'm dithering along & have an hour with a pup or even on a mock half hour but the stress bit me right in the arse!
Natalie, thanks for that. You sound like me - you know it but it's just getting it out! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
One things for sure, I'm going to sleep well tonite!!!

#13 05-07-05 22:01:08

luchell

im sure when i take my first attempt my brain will be trying to slow me down. i just hope that being very aware it may happen will help stop it from switching off lol  easier said than done i know. good luck to both of you lol

#14 09-07-05 17:49:49

Natalie

I will be sure to keep you both posted.  Thanks for the luck hoping I won't need too much.

Nats

#15 09-07-05 18:00:35

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Hiya Nats,

You almost nailed it last time and now you know what to expect.
Just be yourself and try and enjoy the hour.
Good luck for Tuesday

Si

#16 10-07-05 20:57:10

pk1

Now you know its not the horror ride some people will say - you'll nail it next time - good luck lol  lol

#17 12-07-05 19:47:24

Natalie

Well thanks guys for all the luck unfortunatly it didn't work.  To start the test off I forgot all my documents.  Luckily they let me do it anyway.  Then I got PST 10 which I hate.  I was in a mess as it was so when I got to the car I was a total mess.  I got a 3/4.  The SE was a nightmare he kept arguing with me about all the core comps and then I had to pull him up as he was doing about 4 faults and I couldn't keep up.  Because I knew I had failed Phase 1 I seemed to do better on Phase 2.

Oh well 1 more attempt and I am making damned sure I pass it.

Nats

#18 13-07-05 17:09:44

Lady P
Verified Member

Hi Natalie,

sad to hear that - you did x my mind today & I was hoping you'd pass....
Can you tell me what you failed on so I know?
I've just booked in for my 2nd attempt - earliest date is 20th Oct!! can u believe that? I'll have to extend my licence.
On the other hand it gives me more than enough time to make sure I nail it next time.
Keep smiling - chin up m8.
Lady P wink

#19 13-07-05 19:31:32

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Nats,
I am suprised that you didn't get it second time around and now you have just failed twice - bad luck.
What sort of things did the SE do to make him a nightmare?
I hate PST10 also but you have to like em all in this game I suppose.
Good luck for next time
Si.

#20 17-07-05 16:01:23

Natalie

Thanks Guys

Well it got off to a bad start as I noticed he hadn't put his seatbelt on but forgot to mention it before he set off.  Got it in the end but as he moved off he also forgot to check his blind spot and indicate.  By the time I was halfway through the Core comps we had come to a meet situation and I had to deal with that he did a couple of things wrong again so I pulled him over and went over all 4 faults.  As we moved off he did somemore different ones and then when I tried to go through them he would argue with me.  For example he approaced a junction too fast and when I told him this he just replied with "I stopped didn't I" I mentioned the dangers with braking too harsly and he said "I don't see what the problem is as long as I stop".  I think I pulled him over about 8 times in total to go through errors there was just too much for me.

Phase 2 went ok as I knew I had failed phase 1 if you know what I mean.

Oh well 1 more attempt did this with Part 2 aslwell maybe I work better under pressure!!!!

Nats

#21 17-07-05 23:44:44

dashdriving.com
Website

Nats,

I've PM'd you.

regards,

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

#22 18-07-05 21:47:38

BONNY1708

Hi Lady P,
if you aren't too far away in the westcountry, try Camborne test centre. You can usually get in earlier than others. Will just need a bit of a look around the area to get familiar. There are worst places to spend a day out though.
BONNY1708

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#23 19-07-05 11:44:37

mk14steve

Lady P wrote:

He was driving close to the kerb so I asked him what the NDP was & he said 1mtr so I told him to go out to the right just a little more but he kept coming back in again! If I'd asked him if he knew what 1mtr looked like then I would have found out that he didn't know & that's what the error was!

I have come across this error before - not knowing how to judge 1m; so what's the answer when you find out the "SE" cannot judge 1m from the kerb? How do you get them to do it?

ta

#24 19-07-05 16:34:39

Trumper
Verified Member

If the SE is drifting towards the curb. The first thing to ask is where is he looking normally just over the front of car. So get SE to look as far as he can see, because his eyes tell the hands where to steer. To judge a metre.. You could stop and open the car door,so he knows how far metre is. Then point  out a focal point in the road that is about a metre from curb. ie. could be a tyre marks ,possibly where the road has been dug up. Or you sometimes get a dark strip in the centre of the available space that does not get driven on, so if he positions car in the middle of this space then he should be ok. Hope this helps?

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

#25 19-07-05 17:45:03

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Yeh,
My trainer did that to me today in fact, what one has to say is to look well down your side of the road as hands follow eyes.
I was cought out for lots of small things today such as when he changes gear he looks at the gear stick each time, Not putting on the handbreak when waiting for more than just a few seconds at lights and looking right whilst in process of turning left. All these extra things.
My main problem is getting to the point in as few words as possible, cut the woffal get to the point asap or it's too late.
Si

Board footer