You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 14-02-12 21:44:04

ytyck

Failed 2nd time today! *need advice*

Hello everybody, i just had my 2nd practical test today in Monmouth and I failed with 11 minors...now to be more detailed i had 1 minor on control( stol engine, silly me), 1 minor on signaling bit too early, 1 minor on change speed! Now i had 4 minors on speeding and 4 minors on going to slow?? Both "transformed" in serious faults, therefore i failed. I have been driving slow in places where i had FLASHING 20 mph speed limit, on curby narrow roads and on road with speed humps and when i had traffic in front of me as i wasnt able to overtake. Only place u could drive faster was on dual carriage way, even there was a 50mph speed limit! I am very confused. First time i failed for going to slow and being hesitant, make sense lol. Everybody could see i had a confidence problem.
I could agree with the examinator that, yes i have been driving slow, but that was only due to road conditions. I cannot understand where i have been going to fast? U cant break speed limit in monmouth!!! Thinking of the dual carriage way, as soon as i joined in i pretty much had to come to a stop as traffic lights turned red and cars in front of me had to stop as well. I think he doesnt like me at all haha, i had him first time also!
I really need some advice, if anybody knows Monmouth, what would u advise me to do:
- on back roads, the narrow ones, curby ones.....i usually use 2nd gear and not going over 20mph unless i have to "squeeze" thru where i would drop my speed.
- in town i would normally go with the flow, if there isnt anybody in front of me, i would do 25 maybe 30 if its not busy( always been pretty busy so far tho) cus i don t see the point of racing in between pedestrians crossing and bends. also people keep appearing from in between cars crossing the road and to avoid hard breaking i suppose i try to stay on the safe side and it seems its wrong sad If u have a better advice, please do share cus i really need it. I booked another test in couple of weeks time and im so confused, this examinator doesnt like me at all and if im going to have him again i think im going to faint!
Good luck to everybody out there, I hope you all pass!

14-02-12 21:44:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Failed 2nd time today! *need advice*

#2 14-02-12 21:59:36

Evan
Administrator

What does your instructor say about your result, did he/she attend the de-brief, sometimes when you are upset its very hard to take in exactly what the problem was with your driving when the examiner gives you the explanation.

Last edited by Evan (14-02-12 22:00:16)

#3 14-02-12 22:16:49

ytyck

There wasn't any de brief, he just said im sorry to tell u but u failed, have a good day.
I really don't get it...i was either going to fast or too slow, well...i did both in his eyes. it just doesnt make sense, it just seems i was driving the car badly but then how come none of the others have been affected? Like: accelerator, foot brake, steering, approaching speed at junctions, judgment, awareness,planning? Cus if i was speeding that would have made me break harshly when i come to a round about, or a junction or traffic lights or pedestrians crossing...so therefore my judgement should have been affected also my approaching speed at junctions, either to fast either to slow, but again no faults on any of them. when going to slow there usually are some minor faults for being hesitant, but again no mark on that one neither! Im so confused! I have my 3rd test in 2 weeks time and im so scared, so confused i just do not know how am i suppose to drive to please this examinator!
Heeeelp!

#4 14-02-12 22:41:01

martin Williams
Verified Member

I'm sorry but you wont be able to get help off anyone on here as none of us have seen you drive. I'm sure the ADI your having lessons with will explain what is wrong and fix it.

The examiner always offers a debrief to explain your most serious faults.

#5 14-02-12 23:02:56

ytyck

Martin, Im after some advice from ppl that knows Monmouth( narrow tiny roads, loads of schools, loads of busses that u can meet on them narrow roads, loads of hill starts). I am not saying im a great driver but this examinator shoots down my confidence as i dont know how to drive good in his eyes. my instructor never had to tell me off for going to fast, im not a speed person, i had 5 minors on driving to slow on my first test!!! haha
I am not arguing with his decision...it is frustrating but hey ho! I just want to hear other people experience and advice driving in Monmouth as i really need to get it right next time!
Thank you anyway for your replay. x

#6 14-02-12 23:04:58

ytyck

As for the de brief, there wasnt any, the little box next to " De brief" has no mark in it. Maybe he was in a rush lol

#7 14-02-12 23:06:40

MAZ
Verified Member

Where you presented for the test by an instructor?
If not, why not!

If yes, then:
Where was your instructor at the end of the test?

The examiner will offer an explanation of the result to you; he has to do this, as there is a box to tick for it. If you said no and refused an explanation, then you don’t get one.

So now you are left trying to interpret the examiners marking.

Something seems amiss to me.

Maz.

#8 14-02-12 23:19:01

ytyck

Max, honestly after he told me i failed(AGAIN)....my head went blank! I couldn't believe it. I'm thinking i must have said no to it then, honestly i don't remember. My instructor was walking towards the car, by the time she got there, he was gone. Thank you for the replay. X

#9 14-02-12 23:29:57

MAZ
Verified Member

Ok, Driving faults (minors) for “Use of Speed” are usually marked where you have gone over the speed limit (even for 2 or 3 mph too much) or have driven too fast for the situation or conditions at the time (even though it may be less than the speed limit). A number of these will result in accumulating a serious fault.

Where the faults for “going too slow” marked as “appropriate speed” or “undue hesitation” because it makes a big difference.

Maz.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 15-02-12 11:54:58

fishie
Banned
Website

ytyck wrote:

Max, honestly after he told me i failed(AGAIN)....my head went blank! I couldn't believe it. I'm thinking i must have said no to it then, honestly i don't remember. My instructor was walking towards the car, by the time she got there, he was gone. Thank you for the replay. X

Sorry thats not right and you are missing things out. If you went with an instructor for a test and you said that the will attend the de brief the examiner would of told them. They would of waited for your adi to get to the car and with that many faults on a dl25 lets be honest with each other you cant drive and should not of gone in for your test.

www.fishersdrivingschool.co.uk
Remember only dead fish's go with the flow
Grade 6 by fluke this and last time
Some cardigan in the wardrobe non ordit

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 15-02-12 13:09:40

MGM
Verified Member

fishie wrote:
ytyck wrote:

Sorry thats not right and you are missing things out. If you went with an instructor for a test and you said that the will attend the de brief the examiner would of told them. They would of waited for your adi to get to the car and with that many faults on a dl25 lets be honest with each other you cant drive and should not of gone in for your test.

Not necessarily.

There's a centre near here where it's difficult to park, and as a result the test can end anywhere in the surrounding streets. Unless the instructor has a crystal ball he has no chance of getting to the car in time to hear the debrief, whether the pupil has asked for it or not.

#12 15-02-12 13:33:12

ytyck

Fishie u are missing out here. Have u seen my topic...*need advice*....why are u coming here to give megrief and criticise  me for not having the de brief. And telling me i cant drive? Ive heard people doing alot worst on their test that me and i would never have the guts to tell them they are bad drivers. It can happen to the best driver in the world to have nerves or something to go wrong on the day. I think ure just a horrible person telling me that. Even if i would be a very bad driver u could have at least say i could do with some extra lessons but not this! Horrible person you are!
Now to put it clear i do not ask for de brief explanation, i dont care really, he said i been going fast and then slow fine...i need advice on what speed i should be doing? If im in a residential area with a 30 mph limit but the roads are very bendy and i got cars parked on either side do i HAVE TO DO 30? Cus i would drive with the speed i feel confortable enough not to touch the cars also not to break harshly for the bends. Having had my test yesterday on half term there were loads of kids on their bikes on some of the roads, again i thought the best thing to do is drive slowly and give them plenty of room. It must have been wrong. As for the speeding thats not right cus im not a speedy driver lol, but as Maz said in his last post, i might have gone 2-3 miles over and im thinking thats why he marked me( next time im going to watch my speedometer every 2 seconds instead of 5 haha)
Going back on driving to slow....usually when u have speed humps there is a 20 mph limit but as u approach the hump u use the foot brake to go smootly over the hump the car can slow down way under 15 mph what should i do in this situation...should i be "racing" between the road humps?
Thank you and looking forward to your advice guys.

Last edited by ytyck (15-02-12 13:34:59)

#13 15-02-12 15:55:07

(ROG)
Verified Member

ytyck wrote:

....usually when u have speed humps there is a 20 mph limit but as u approach the hump u use the foot brake to go smootly over the hump the car can slow down way under 15 mph what should i do in this situation...should i be "racing" between the road humps?

What gear are you in when approaching the humps - 2nd or 3rd ?

If they are in a 20 limit then you should be in 2nd and not using the brakes but accelerator sense to increase and reduce speed - unless downhill

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#14 15-02-12 20:46:54

ytyck

Im using 2nd gear for 20 or less and always been breaking before the humps under my instructor comands.

#15 15-02-12 21:38:41

martin Williams
Verified Member

Hello,,

What speed you go over the humps depends on the type. Some you can go over at 30mph and some at just 5mph.

You need to go over them at a speed which is sympathetic to the vehicle if it is safe to do so. The speed humps are there for traffic calming to slow vehicles down for the whole road not just where the humps are. So its wrong to brake for each hump and to go fast between them because if there is a car behind it will not be expecting you to slow down all of a sudden and its wear and tear on your brakes as well.
Also you should be relating it to speed not gear as all cars are different. In my car it's perfectly ok to do 20mph in 3rd gear on the flat but in a different car it would not.

Last edited by martin Williams (17-02-12 19:02:54)

#16 15-02-12 22:30:21

kaf
Verified Member
Website

It is really difficult to give the advice you need.

I would have needed to have been in the car to see exactly what was going on at the time, you can be doing 15mph and STILL be going to fast, it depends on the circumstances. This includes the road, weather, position of other road users etc.

I suggest for your next test you insist that your instructor goes with you in the car so he can see exactly what you are doing in the test situation.

Sorry I can't be of much help, it really is the impossible question.

#17 16-02-12 09:31:38

(ROG)
Verified Member

ytyck wrote:

Im using 2nd gear for 20 or less and always been breaking before the humps under my instructor comands.

Do you think you could do it without using the brake pedal?

If yes then ask your instructor if you can try it

I am assuming that speed over the humps is around 15 mph

IAM Observer

#18 16-02-12 17:04:06

MGM
Verified Member

ytyck wrote:

Your instructor is wrong - point out the Highway Code (Rule 153) to him/her. As said above, you should maintain a steady speed along the whole stretch of road with humps.

#19 16-02-12 18:29:29

(ROG)
Verified Member

MGM wrote:
ytyck wrote:

Your instructor is wrong - point out the Highway Code (Rule 153) to him/her. As said above, you should maintain a steady speed along the whole stretch of road with humps.

Why the same steady speed?

If its a 20 limit and 20 is easy to attain between humps but 15 is required over them, then why should the driver only do 15 between them?

I would think that would be a mark for apropriate speed on the test sheet - yes?

IAM Observer

#20 16-02-12 18:57:45

martin Williams
Verified Member

(ROG) wrote:
MGM wrote:
ytyck wrote:

Why the same steady speed?

If its a 20 limit and 20 is easy to attain between humps but 15 is required over them, then why should the driver only do 15 between them?

I would think that would be a mark for apropriate speed on the test sheet - yes?

The highway Code clearly states you should maintain a reduced speed for the whole stretch of road. So you would not get any fault by doing as stated in rule 153. So if the speed limit is 20 and the humps are 15mph humps thats the speed you should do for the whole stretch of road.
It seems obvious to me the humps would be there to try and keep the traffic down to 15mph as it would be deemed unsafe to go faster probably due to accident history on the road or a school near by. I expect having humps works much better than reducing the speed limit.

Have you got speed humps round your area Rob?

#21 16-02-12 19:12:18

(ROG)
Verified Member

Thats ridiculous advice !!

We have speed humps in a 30 limit on test routes and they are spaced in such a way that 25 is the speed between them and 12 to 18 mph over tham depending on vehicle used - all can be done in one gear - 2nd - no braking - just acclerator sense required

If the driver was to do 15 which is 10mph under what is an easily possible 25 then they will get marked down for it

IAM Observer

#22 16-02-12 19:43:01

martin Williams
Verified Member

I'm affraid i cant agree theres no way i would tell my pupils to do 25 between humps then slow down to as low as maybe 12 everytime they go over them. It sounds to me that the highway agency have made the humps to big if vehicles have to slow down to 12-18 to go over them when acording to you it is safe to do 25mph on that stretch of road?

Whats the point of the humps if drivers go too fast between them?

Last edited by martin Williams (17-02-12 18:40:03)

#23 16-02-12 20:32:40

(ROG)
Verified Member

As all vehicles are not the same construction then they will be going over the humps at different speeds but that is no excuse not to do the same speed between them

Sometimes those humps are made where most vehicles cannot do the current speed limit over them so the driver is expected to deal with that but again that is no excuse to crawl between them

To say that the learner must do the same speed between the humps that they do when going over the humps is totally stupid

We have some near me that are far enough apart to do the 30 limit between them but my car will only do 15 over them unless I want to send it flying !!
Surely you do not suggest I do 15 when I can easily do 30???!!

IAM Observer

#24 16-02-12 21:25:30

martin Williams
Verified Member

(ROG) wrote:

We have some near me that are far enough apart to do the 30 limit between them but my car will only do 15 over them unless I want to send it flying !!
Surely you do not suggest I do 15 when I can easily do 30???!!

Traffic-calming measures. On some roads there are features such as road humps, chicanes and narrowings which are intended to slow you down. When you approach these features reduce your speed. Allow cyclists and motorcyclists room to pass through them. Maintain a reduced speed along the whole of the stretch of road within the calming measures. Give way to oncoming road users if directed to do so by signs. You should not overtake other moving road users while in these areas.

Hi Rog are you really telling your pupils its ok to break Highway code rule 153 above which clearly states that you should maintain a reduced speed along the whole stretch of road?

I may have missed something but theres no way it states you should go back up to the speed limit between the humps then slow down again as you suggest above does it? In our area we have humps for 10mph,15mph,20mph and 25mph all of them in 30mph roads but theres no way you should speed up again to 30 as you suggest between them.

Last edited by martin Williams (17-02-12 18:36:21)

#25 16-02-12 21:30:18

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

We have speed humps ("bumps") down here too, most are sign posted at an advisory (not regulatory) 20kmh/12.5mph, and there is usually a standard regulatory speed limit sign of 50kmh/30mph or similar for the road in general.
In our case the bumps are installed for traffic calming purposes i.e. to ensure drivers slow down at regular intervals so that they don't build up to dangerous speeds over long stretches.
They also put them in on some local-traffic roads to discourage drivers to use them as fast "through-roads".

Some times zig-zag chicanes, "flat bumps" constructed of bricks which shake the car a lot, and tiny roundabouts are used for the same traffic-calming purpose, sometimes on the same stretch of road.

If our test candidates attempt to maintain "bump speed" between bumps they would attract a serious fault for travelling at an unreasonably slow speed, and probably attract road rage from frustrated drivers behind as well.

Our bumps are clearly sign posted and I haven't yet been rear ended while braking for a bump (that's what appropriate approach-braking and brake lights are for).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer