You are not logged in.

#1 13-02-12 20:36:37

andybaxter

Cat C car?

Hi all, first post so please be gentle...

I've been leasing for 3years, and have decided to purchase a car, the idea to save a few pounds a month.

I'm really tempted at picking up a cat c car with vic check as the prices are incredibly low.

Has anyone on here got experience of cat c cars? Any pitfalls?

13-02-12 20:36:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Cat C car?

#2 13-02-12 21:03:49

MGM
Verified Member

Welcome to the forum.

Being as gentle as I can, could we have "cat c car with vic check" again in English?

#3 13-02-12 21:39:22

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Is it  something to do with insurance write offs?

#4 13-02-12 22:01:39

andybaxter

Yes you've been gentle  big_smile

Cat c car means it was in an accident and the insurance company decided not to repair. In the case of the car I'm looking at the owner repaired through local garage at own cost.

I'm sure vic check is where the car is inspected by vosa and declared road legal. In the car I'm looking at it has 12 months MOT.

I'm hoping someone on here has experience in using a car previously classed as insurance write off, and if it was a problem.

It looks like you can pick up a car half the price of a similar car. It's not an investment, just an asset to cream as much money you can from it  smile

#5 13-02-12 22:02:24

mdf0075

Cat A - The Car should be scrapped and nothing  can be used from it.

Cat B - The Car should be scrapped but certain parts can be taken from it.

Cat C&D - These are used for non economical repairs, such as not dangerous to drive but the insurance company wont pay out repairing them.

Michael

part 1 - 98/54
part 1 - 98/62
part 2 - 4 minors
part 3 - pst2 5-5
check test -?

#6 13-02-12 22:04:44

trunkmonkey

This probably isn't the best site for an answer, unless someone has been in the car repair business.

Technically there is nothing wrong with a Cat C repair. Done by a reputable person it should be in a very good roadworthy condition. The VIC check is nothing more than that - Vehicle Identity Check.  It does not check the roadworthiness of the car, nor how well it has been repaired.

An HPI check through Experian is a must. That will give you the extent of damage and why the insurer wrote it off.

Expect to pay 65% of trade value.

Now the crippler.  You may find it difficult to insure the car. You have to notify the insurer the vehicle has been a previous write-off (they'll know anyhow, but it pays to be upfront). They could undervalue it or ask a higher premium.

When you come to sell it you have to inform the new owner of its history.

It is a bit of a lottery. Find someone locally 'in the trade' and sound them out.

Generally if something sounds to good to be true......................

caveat emptor

#7 13-02-12 22:07:17

mdf0075

I have never bought one my self but have had a friend buy a few!!!! Once the vehicle has been checked its fine, but ive been told some insurance company dont like to cover you!

And if it is in any type of accident (fingers crossed never is  big_smile) there wont repair it.

part 1 - 98/54
part 1 - 98/62
part 2 - 4 minors
part 3 - pst2 5-5
check test -?

#8 16-11-12 15:16:26

Khingers
Verified Member

Hi, I havent been on here for ages but can tell you the last three cars, including my current car have been CAT D/C.

I bought my 1st car back in 2006, it was a Kia Picanto. It was a 2005 model with 22,000 miles on the clock. I used it for a 1.5yrs with no
issues and sold it to a student in 2007 at 55,000 miles (for the same price I bought it!) .I still see the car running around the area!.

My current car i purchased in 2007 is a CAT C Kia picanto Auto. I purchased the car at 9000 miles and is currently reaching 150,000!!.
Apart from replacing the gearbox at 110,000 I have no issues except for general wear and tear!.

I am in the process of purchasing a 2012 Yaris CVT with 1800 miles for roughly half price!!. I have been fortunate and would recommend
you get the car checked and definitely take it on an extended test drive.

Insurance it's not a problem, you can declare the car as CAT C.  when I have had an accident (non fault) there has never been an issue.

Babs

Part 1: 100 & 64
Part 2: 4 faults
Part 3: 1st time 4/4

Board footer