You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 09-12-11 22:54:22

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Cake!!

It's becoming my hobby now to bake around Christmas time. Last year I learnt how to make biscuits, sponge cake, fudge and coconut ice. This year the baking has begun with my first ever spiced apple cake, picture below! Next week it's 'bannoffe pie', I've no idea how to spell 'banoffee'.

I'm seriously tempted in the years to come to open a little cafe in some nice rural village selling cake and tea. It's very therapeutic baking, would be quite a different lifestyle to teaching learners how to drive.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

09-12-11 22:54:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Cake!!

#2 09-12-11 23:21:12

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Looks great! But why only bake around Christmas? You need cake all year round!!!!! Plus, with the plethora of fruit trees that grow in the UK you get free fruit to stick in the freezer for whenever you need it...

My wife thinks I make a better wife than she does when it comes to cooking. It was one of the first weeks after we moved in together and there was one egg left in the fridge so, as the oven was on with something cooking, I decided to rustle up a quick sponge. She's never quite looked at me the same way since lol

For a twist on the apple sponge, sprinkle some crumble topping on the top.... Mmmm...... Cake......

#3 10-12-11 16:52:55

lucy
Verified Member
Website

Yum that looks nice but echo Christhedrummer why only bake at christmas?

Mind you I can talk this is the first year I've made my own mince pies totally from scratch.  I do however like to bake all year around, we have our own hens so have a good supply of eggs.

#4 10-12-11 20:17:26

Gizmotime
Administrator

The cake looks lovely, hope it taste's as good wink all this talk of cake makes me hungry big_smile

Giz

#5 11-12-11 00:57:49

john55
Verified Member

mmmm. i'll come to your cafe and buy your cake and tea.

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#6 11-12-11 01:13:12

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Banoffee pie looks great!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banoffee

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#7 11-12-11 21:02:28

lucy
Verified Member
Website

Oh I saw a reply from zipper and really hoped he'd been baking lamingtons.

#8 12-12-11 04:09:56

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Lamingtons and Pavlova.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#9 12-12-11 20:35:52

lucy
Verified Member
Website

Oh zipper you tease some of my favourites, actually think I just like cake.

#10 13-12-11 23:19:38

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Umm cake...... send me some!!  big_smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#11 18-12-11 23:32:48

lucy
Verified Member
Website

Tonight I have started making the first of three gingerbread houses! On Friday I will be baking mince pies and icing. Two Xmas cakes, my daughter can ice her own.

To take the topic further I always use free range eggs!

#12 19-12-11 18:05:40

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

OK, in the last week I made another apple cake (twice as much apple this time) and a banoffee pie (British version, not American, lots more banana!). Tasted better than it looked, very thick with toffee sauce and puff pastry base.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#13 19-12-11 18:27:01

lucy
Verified Member
Website

Ooh that looks very nice.  I may give up on gingerbread houses as this one is really wonky!!

#14 01-01-12 22:06:25

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

I like making bread ... take that whichever way you want big_smile

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

Board footer