You are not logged in.

#1 29-06-05 17:04:37

tuftyclub
Verified Member
Website

Pt 3 fail

Oh well, now it's my turn to spread the gloom  :cry:
Failed my part 3 today in Exeter today.
I had pst 5, emergency stop/mirrors, followed by progress and position.
The briefing for part 1 went well, although in the debrief my examiner said it might have been better to brief just on mirrors in the car park and wait to do the briefing for the emergency stop at the location.
The emergency stop went well enough, I was able to pick up obvious faults, eg clutch down before brake.

But I missed the reason for his lack of progress until he made it really obvious, that was whilst pulling away being in fifth gear by the time we were only doing 20mph! By then we were nearly back at the test centre and I'd spotted it too late.

The other point was staying to close to the centre of the road on right hand bends, I'd told him not to do it a few times but he wanted to hear me say:  'you will get better visibility if you don't cut the corner'.

Oh well, the whole experience was really enjoyable believe it or not.
I had no problem getting into the role play situation, my 'pupil' was a very good actor.

My advice (for what it's worth) is study the core compentencies, that's where most fail. Also listen to people who know what they're talking about concerning part 3, a lot of rubbish is spouted!!

Hope this helps, I know I'm certainly looking forward to second attempt.  lol

29-06-05 17:04:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Pt 3 fail

#2 29-06-05 17:58:08

VandADI
Administrator

Hi tuftyclub,
So sorry to hear of your news  :cry:
Its so easy to underestimate what is required on the Part 3.  To be able to Identify, analyse and rectify every fault (core competencies) is essential in order to get a pass, also to be in control and remain in control throughout the test is a nerve wracking experience.  Others can tell you through experience on the part 3 that they felt they were really doing well, but the last 15 mins or so felt themselves flagging, you got to keep on going right to the bitter end..... wink
Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences with us and I wish you the best of luck for your next attempt.
VandADI

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 29-06-05 18:32:03

Tracy
Verified Member
Website

Sorry to hear about your fail but your information was really useful and I'm sure alot of people like myself who are just about to do the part three next will really benefit from it. Sounds like you were close though so hopefully next time will be the time for you. Thanks for sharing the experience. Are you on a Pink or just using your training for part three?

www.thumbbandits.com
The Friendly Video-Gaming Site!

#4 29-06-05 20:15:20

Rauxaman

Hi Tuftyclub-

Fustrating isn't it? I failed my pt3 on Monday and I am still thinking "if only" in those quiet moments.

Sounds like you had a good phase 1 and then phase 2 core competencies went pear shaped, just like in my attempt!
I'm glad that you actually enjoyed it, I did too... there seems to be a lot of negative rubbish written and said about this test.

Onwards and upwards  tongue
R

#5 29-06-05 21:26:59

tuftyclub
Verified Member
Website

thanks guys and gals for your comments, the idea of posting is for all to benefit as I have done already from some of your posts.

Now I've had a few hours to think about it I'm beginning to think failure is not too bad a thing, it makes you take stock and keeps you in your place  lol

Anyway I'm now a little wiser, my only pupil is my daughter who'se getting on really well and has already benefitted from today's failure!

I'm not doing a pinkie because I have a very full time job, but there's pros and cons as we know.

#6 29-06-05 21:31:44

tuftyclub
Verified Member
Website

thanks guys and gals for your comments, the idea of posting is for all to benefit as I have done already from some of your posts.

Now I've had a few hours to think about it I'm beginning to think failure is not too bad a thing, it makes you take stock and keeps you in your place  lol

Anyway I'm now a little wiser, my only pupil is my daughter who'se getting on really well and has already benefitted from today's failure!

I'm not doing a pinkie because I have a very full time job, but there's pros and cons as we know.

#7 29-06-05 21:32:09

tuftyclub
Verified Member
Website

#8 29-06-05 21:33:28

dashdriving.com
Website

tuftyclub / Rauxaman,

I have to say that I am delighted with your comments for many reasons. Clearly, I would have liked you both to have had a better outcome from your test, but the fact that you are not blaming the SE's or any of the popular 'myths' is of tremendous credit to you both.

By accepting the experience for what it is, you will grow in skills and in your appreciation for what is needed.

I have said so many times that part 3 is not about pre set tests, it's not about shiny diagrams, and even the briefings are relatively unimportant.

Part 3 is all about you and your ability to deliver a well structured driving lesson. I suspect that you are both beginning to realise that, and I have absolutely no doubts at all that you will do very well and go on to make excellent instructors.

I just had another part 3 pass a couple of days ago. The lady in question had had over 40 hours of part 3 training, and she was weighed down with the nonsense that quite often fills trainees with dread . . .

'It's nothing like a real lesson', 'the SE's are out to trick you', 'they want you to fail', etc etc etc.

She had had an attempt at part 3, but suffered from complete confusion about what is actually required.

I had only 6 hours training with her, and the hardest part was in removing the confusion caused through some of the stories her previous trainer had told her, and then in building her self belief and confidence.

She'd been told that they thought she just 'might not have what it takes'. What an utterley dreadful thing for any professional trainer to say to anyone. This lady was superb. It was crystal clear to me after 10 minutes in the car that part 3 should be no problem to her at all.

The hard work was in getting her to believe it and for her to see just what the SE's are really looking for. Unfortunately, this turned out to be the exact opposite of much what her trainer had told her.

I'm truly sorry if this post sounds a little arrogant or like an advert, I assure you it's not meant to. I just wanted to highlight what a truly pleasant change it is to hear trainees saying how much they enjoyed part 3, will learn from it and have realised how much rubbish is talked about it. I only hope that many other trainees will realise the same things.

Well done guys

If you want a chat before your next part 3 'lesson', give me a call on 0845 833 0823. I'd be happy to chat and answer any worries you may have.

regards,

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

#9 29-06-05 21:59:09

bertie

So sorry to hear of the result of your test, but it's good to see you can take it so well.  Mine is next thursday (7th) and i'm getting really worried, it seems so hard!  Is'nt great to have a forum where you can get such usefull advice and speak to people how have been through the whole experience.  Best of luck next time, I can tell the result will be different!

#10 29-06-05 22:07:55

luchell

i dont believe it is hard, as all it is is something we want to do for most if not all of our careers. so surely we ought to have faith that we are actually good enough to do this thing lol  i think its a mind set. its certainly a learning curve. i dont believe its easy either theres alot of work to it. but being well prepared and confident will go along way to getting all us part three guys a pass result lol good luck to all you guys out there about to take part three. im actually jealous! i wish i was taking mine really soon sad

as ive said before bsm like you to be on a pink for three months and have a mock before your first attempy which i can see is fair enough. but im sure i will feel 100 percent ready before that! i have a few bits and bobs as it were i want to sort out a wee bit more as i want to be as prepared as possible.

Board footer