You are not logged in.

#1 09-08-11 11:23:34

andytpne

New PDI

Hi Everyone,
I've been reading the posts & excellent replies & advice you give to new pdi's so I thought i'd tell you how my 1st lesson went.
I've just started on my trainee licence yesterday and my 1st pupil said he was at test standard 4 years ago but had to stop as he was made redundant.
I went along expecting him to be very rusty and had prepared to start from scratch and see how he progressed, on the way to a quiet area he told me he had been driving all the time and only now wants lessons as he got caught by the police.
this completely threw me and my brain went blank on what to teach him as he knew what to do, I decided to start off by going through the cockpit drill getting him to move off & stop he was great, the problem was I didn't feel confident enough to go into traffic as i hadn't prepared myself for this kind of pupil & was frightened in case i made any mistakes, in the end we went around the estate I had chosen doing left/right junctions and small crossroads etc.
I could tell he was getting board but all I could think was to tell him I wanted him to do this in order to get used to msm/psl routines & not to cross his hands etc as these were the bad habits he had picked up, and by being on a nursery route to start with would be of benefit to him when we did go into traffic.
Real pupils are nothing like training and I missed loads of things I should of done and didn't spot mistakes early enough or in some cases remedy them, I have another pupil later today and I am now more nervous than yesterday.
Sorry to go on but sometimes it's good to get things of your chest, any comments would be appreciated.
thanks
Andy

09-08-11 11:23:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New PDI

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 09-08-11 18:39:18

fishie
Banned
Website

hi just like you im new so i thought i would answer your question. You did not say who you are with but it makes no difference lives hard, get that rule book and throw it out of the window. What you sould of done is double check your client could drive in a simple estate and then got him out on the roads for a mock test. How do you think going round in circles will look to him (simple your out of your depth or wonting to string him along) Then as he can drive nearly as good as you tell him to do his theory test point him in the right direction we find its always best if we book it for them, and then start lessons after he's passed it with a driving test booked you will find 5 or 6 1hr lessons should suffice. Forget this he needs 2hrs mumbo jumbo he will shout your name from the rooftops when he pass's and as you set out on this path recomendations is what you need.
Martin

www.fishersdrivingschool.co.uk
Remember only dead fish's go with the flow
Grade 6 by fluke this and last time
Some cardigan in the wardrobe non ordit

#3 09-08-11 18:57:04

on board training

Hi,

Basically, I would suggest two hour lessons to anyone but especially those nearing test as it is easier to cover everything including mock tests and ensure a good chance of passing.

Think how you would deal with a PST Phase 2 and no real difference - after the Q & A you have established he can drive, so let him and then pick out good points and not so good points and then use an appropriate level of instruction to allow him to improve and develop to your Pt2 standard of driving, bearing in mind you have 5 levels of instruction and you need to establish why the fault happened.

Sorted. Oh, and offer theory support each week until he is through the theory test and then he will be singing your name from the rooftops.

Brian

#4 09-08-11 20:55:00

Barry500
Website

not to cross his hands
??
As long as the car goes where it should be going crossing hands will not fail, I took my part 3 with a pass not long ago and that was the second time I have taken all the exams first time was 2003 and the examiner was crossing his hands all the time.

#5 10-08-11 07:36:02

andytpne

Thanks for the advice guys.
Your right fishie & o.b.t. I should of done a mock/test drive once i had established he was able to drive, i looked at it from my view not his, must of been ok as he phoned me last night and booked another lesson for saturday so at least i have a chance to redeem myself.
the lesson i had yesterday evening went a lot better the pupil was similar to the first but hadn't driven for 2 years so with q&a he said he was nervous about how to steer so we went round the estate on left & right turns, i felt more in control and the pupil booked another lesson at the end.
The mistake I made was that I stuck to a ridged lesson plan and forgot my training, thanks once again for the advice it really does help when someone sees a problem from a different angle.
Thanks
Andy

Board footer