You are not logged in.

#1 21-07-11 15:30:26

Sammypdi1
Website

can a trainee on a pink advertise as a trainee instructor

just wondering if on a pink trainee licence, you can advertise yourself as a trainee instructor so that i would not need to subscribe to nasty franchise, ideally i would only want to charge petrol money but without a pink im led to believe i cant even do that. i would only want around maybe 12 hours a week to practice for part 3 and use the badge for what it was intended, but if i took out a franchise with red it would become a job to pay there fees.

i know the dsa say that you cant advertise as a fully qualified instructor but can you advertise as a trainee?

thanks

Sammy

Passed part 1 second attempt 97/100 58
Passed part 2 first attempt 5 minors
passed part 3 first attempt

21-07-11 15:30:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: can a trainee on a pink advertise as a trainee instructor

#2 21-07-11 16:36:57

Terrier
Banned

Sammy

You cannot advertise yourself as an instructor until you are qualified, that is why the trainee licence has to be with a qualified instructor.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 21-07-11 17:27:45

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

...i would not need to subscribe to nasty franchise...

I am curious as to your choice of the phrase "nasty franchise" - why do you assume that a franchise is by default "nasty"? yikes

As a franchisor who runs a small local multi-car driving school I am perhaps biased, but please be assured that while some franchisors leave a lot to be desired, by no means all of us are nasty nor are we evil bloodsuckers whose sole aim in life is to exploit hapless, innocent driving instructors wink

Some of us actually believe in a mutually beneficial business arrangement, care about all our customers (franchisees and pupils) and do our level best to be fair, honest and professional...

Please don't automatically assume the worst about franchises...there's a place for both independents and franchises in this industry.

Many instructors actually prefer to work as a franchisee rather than on their own for a myriad of different reasons and taking out a franchise has enabled many a successful independent to find their feet and establish themselves  smile

As regards your original question, as Terrier has said already you must not advertise yourself as if you were a fully qualified instructor and in addition you must not set up your own school or work independently of your training establishment (sponsor).

You also cannot charge either money or monies worth (i.e. gifts or gratuities - in other words favours or "payment in kind" etc) for driving tuition unless you are a qualified ADI or you hold a trainee licence (you must also display your licence to give instruction on your vehicle whilst teaching).

You can find out all the rules and regulations regarding a trainee licence at the following link:

Conditions of your trainee licence to give driving instruction

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#4 21-07-11 17:59:37

Barry500
Website

RED may have a high charge but many many more franchises are so much lower some even below £50 a week.!!

#5 21-07-11 20:07:19

martin Williams
Verified Member

Hi Sammy, Theses are your options

1. Take out a franchise as said it could be as low as £50 a week
2. Give free lessons
3. Just take the required training and go for part 3 ( The pass rate does not improve by going on a pink but i'm sure it helps some )
4. Find a training buddy ( another PDI ) there's plenty of them about.

Oh and if you do take a franchise you can advertise as long as you dont state you are an ADI.

Best of luck,

Martin

#6 21-07-11 21:13:25

Sammypdi1
Website

loopy lou im sorry if i offended you i just heard so many horror stories of the likes of red wanting insane amounts of money and not supplying enough pupils to pay there bill and running costs. im sure your franchise is fair and works well for people a i said it was not directed at you or anyone in particular.

#7 21-07-11 21:14:55

Sammypdi1
Website

martin are you saying i can take a franchise with bsm etc and advertise to give lessons but as long as i dont mention adi anywhere its legal?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 21-07-11 21:18:19

martin Williams
Verified Member

martin are you saying i can take a franchise with bsm etc and advertise to give lessons but as long as i dont mention adi anywhere its legal?

Yes thats right. Most big franchise companies will supply you with flyers all you have to do is add your name and phone number.

#9 21-07-11 21:21:32

Sammypdi1
Website

Thanks for the advice people

#10 21-07-11 21:24:04

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

loopy lou im sorry if i offended you i just heard so many horror stories of the likes of red wanting insane amounts of money and not supplying enough pupils to pay there bill and running costs. im sure your franchise is fair and works well for people a i said it was not directed at you or anyone in particular.

That's OK - I just wanted to make sure you knew that we're not all "bad guys" smile

I wish you all the best with your training and your eventual Part 3

Sammypdi1 wrote:

Yes thats right. Most big franchise companies will supply you with flyers all you have to do is add your name and phone number.

The wording on the link I posted earlier states:

You must not advertise yourself as if you were a fully qualified instructor.

My understanding of this is that you must make it clear that you are a trainee and that ambiguity is not allowed - presumably the flyers that Martin mentions make the trainee status clear, otherwise surely using a generic flyer would not meet the conditions under which a trainee licence is issued, i.e. a member of the public would assume they were getting a fully qualified instructor? (BTW I'm not trying to be awkward, I'm just curious  big_smile)

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#11 21-07-11 21:29:46

Sammypdi1
Website

Wonder how red get away with what they do people phone for a qualified instructor a trainee turns up surely thats a breach of the rules?

#12 22-07-11 08:33:33

martin Williams
Verified Member

Wonder how red get away with what they do people phone for a qualified instructor a trainee turns up surely thats a breach of the rules?

No its not.

All as long as the adds dont state they are a fully quallified ADI. Have a look at the BSM and Red home pages for driving lessons you will find the word ADI is not there. Personally I think its wrong but its common practice for PDIs to give lessons with the pupil assuming they are an ADI.

#13 22-07-11 15:25:05

Terrier
Banned

Sammy

Just to clear up any confusion as far as advertising on the TL you cannot advertise yourself as an instructor. The company you are franchised to can advertise their company offering driving instruction and your name can be shown on that add but it should not advertise you as an instructor.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#14 22-07-11 21:47:04

KevB
Verified Member
Website

I agree with Terrier.

If you are thinking of joining a franchise but advertising yourself and gaining your own pupils independent from your franchise, you will be breaking the terms of the trainee licence.

You may only advertise for or on behalf of, the sponsoring company or ADI.

#15 23-07-11 06:41:03

Barry500
Website

IF you join a franchise and its a small local one to you they should give you how ever many hours you need
to practice, remember it is not a money making exercise, it's a training exercise, to get you up to PASSING standard and beyond!

A local lady I have been helping and buddying with is only doing 15 hours and she finds that quite enough for her, some may only want 10 hours and some 20 hours any more and your turning it into a sort of get my money back for my training just incase I do not make the grade, which according to the stats is 66% that DON'T!

Which leaves 34% that go on to become fully qualified ADI's back when I first qualified in 2003 only 28% passed so the rate has
gone up 6% but it could come down again if they take the pinks away but thats another thread.

#16 23-07-11 07:34:00

martin Williams
Verified Member

Which leaves 34% that go on to become fully qualified ADI's back when I first qualified in 2003 only 28% passed so the rate has
gone up 6% but it could come down again if they take the pinks away but thats another thread.

Its more than 34% as you have 3 attempts so on average out of 100 34 pass 1st try which leaves 66 having to do a 2nd attempt out of these 22 should pass leaving 44 having to do a 3rd test which 15 on average would pass. Leaving 29 who have failed all 3 attempts. So the qualifying rate is more like 71%.

Of course i'm sure more pass 3rd time than 1st and PDIs do drop out before 3 attempts and some fail at the practical test stage .   

As for the pinks figures prove taking a pink does not inprove your chances of passing.

#17 23-07-11 08:11:33

Barry500
Website

I can see you have thought more deeply about this and I commend you on your figures, I don't agree with your pink figures,
I do think practice on a pink does help, the first time round I used a pink and it did help me, it will not help all.

#18 23-07-11 09:25:48

Sammypdi1
Website

I have just started my part 3 training and i found it a lot harder than i thought it was going to be, so i've been told to practice practice practice and more practice surely a pink is a great way to do that? of course as it is still early on in my training i might feel different once i have done my 40 hours  just my thoughts.

#19 23-07-11 11:14:13

Barry500
Website

Sammy, A pink is not for everyone but, if you find it hard to get your words out, then I think a pink can help, it will help most with the flow of words, as your aways saying it to different pupils.

See how you feel after 40 hours.
The reason some ADI's don't like pinks is because it takes customers away from them and that you as a pdi may not be any good and do more harm than good to a person that wishes to pass their test.

So a pink has advantages for someone like you but a disadvantage for someone like me. (Qualified)

Talk to your trainer about this and find out what is right for YOU.

Good Luck Sammy.

#20 23-07-11 13:32:38

Sammypdi1
Website

Totally agree with you barry

Board footer