You are not logged in.

#1 19-07-11 06:56:58

mark.moe

New PDI

My start date was yesterday, Monday, and I have my first pupil today. Partly trained, he said he had 30 hours before.

So i need to assess him, how long do i assess for and i will have to assess everything he said hes done. I got a 2 hour lesson, was thinking a hour should be good depends on how much hes covered.

Im worried that if he not been taught properly then i will have to start from beginning, he wont like that i bet.

Im a bit nervous, bet its easier to teach from novice stage.

Any advice will be great

thanks

19-07-11 06:56:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New PDI

#2 19-07-11 09:04:31

Sammypdi1
Website

Good luck mark are you on a franchise?

Passed part 1 second attempt 97/100 58
Passed part 2 first attempt 5 minors
passed part 3 first attempt

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 19-07-11 09:39:34

Luchell
Verified Member

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. Personally I would suggest if you are picking him up from a busy area get him somewhere a bit quieter then swap seats. Take nothing for granted if someone tells you just how good they usually are at something, you may just find that not to be the case. No need to start from the beginning as such if theres weaknesses, just fix what comes up for whatever reason. If you ask him to move off at the beginning and you're not happy with what the pupil is or isn't doing then get in there and core comp the issue, find the problem fix it and move on to the next bit. You might find theres a weakness in say observations for moving off that you want to get sorted, but on the other hand you move onto watching him do some junctions only to find his sequence is really nice and well timed. Great stuff, so as I say no need to start from scratch just fix whats missing where you need to and continue in bite size chunks rather than sit and watch 20 faults being displayed then listing them all back in large chunks  lol. It's the same as a pupil training elsewhere and coming to me with perhaps a test booked or changing instructors for whatever reason, I don't strip their drive right down to the beginning, that is often what worries pupils about wanting or needing to swap to another instructor, that they will be put right back to the start which is not true. I strip whats needed where needed (sometimes a pupil may do something differently from the way I prefer to teach something but again if what they are doing already is still acceptable, they have understanding of what they are doing and it works for them say perhaps a method used for a manouevre etc I leave well alone) 

I enjoy these pupils very much so, more than I do teaching someone right from the start as a novice so don't be put off. You can really get your teeth into the challenge of educating them and finding what it is that is missing that's causing certain faults to be displayed rather than spending the main bulk of time explaining how something works and how to use it like you would to a total novice (and yes sometimes to part trained pupils etc) I know what i mean   roll lol

#4 19-07-11 09:43:43

Luchell
Verified Member

Oh and don't have a rigid idea in your mind that you need to see EVERYTHING this pupil says they have done or can do. If issues are raised and need fixing then thats what you do, dont skimp to rush onto the next bit. If it turns out that pupil needed the entire lesson on junctions then that is what they should get. No point half heartedly fixing something partially then jumping onto something else which can sometimes happen when you feel pressure to make sure they go away feeling they had 'value for their money' (whatever that is) If something isn't right work on it then move on when understanding is acheived and practise put into place otherwise you end up with several issues all not quite sorted rather than sorting as you go along if that makes any sense which you can feel free to point out to your pupil so they understand why you do things the way you do  smile

#5 19-07-11 10:05:42

mark.moe

brilliant advice, thanks alot, most of it i was going to do but its nice to get it confirmed by you guys.

Thanks again, off i go, lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 19-07-11 10:05:59

mark.moe

Good luck mark are you on a franchise?

yes i am, with red

Board footer