You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 01-04-04 13:24:58

jonks

This weeks topic.. Learner drivers clogging up streets

Learner drivers are clogging up our streets!

Thats not what I say, but is the Headline of an article in the Scottish evening press http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/di … PK=9262867

The article is about residents in Aberdeen complaining that particular residential streets are being used over and over again each day by instructors teaching manoeuvres.

It has put a thought in my head that maybe area's should be built, solely for the purpous of teaching manoeuvres. Fake roads.

Perhaps there is another solution?

Perhaps you think that it isnt a problem?

Have you ever had a member of the public complain about you using their road?

Tell me what you think...

01-04-04 13:24:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: This weeks topic.. Learner drivers clogging up streets

#2 01-04-04 15:24:23

Midge
Website

I think some instructors are very inconsiderate, one complaint I received from a member of the puplic, "they keep banging their doors" right outside my house.  I've watched them, they reverse round the corner, and then they open the door to show the student how far away from the kerb they are, then slam the door shut.  You can see better in the door mirror from drivers seat in most cars anyway.  The two biggest driving schools in this area only seem to have discovered two places to practice the left reverse, and left turns, they are there in vast numbers, practically queueing up to have a go, but in areas just a short distance away, you never see them.
The cost of the driving test will go up if they have to provide special places to do the manoeuvres, and how much will it cost us to use them for practice, and they will be about 50 miles away from me I'll bet!!!!!!
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#3 01-04-04 18:26:51

Unplugged

i do agreee there are particular roads round here that are frequent but I dont go down them much and theres always plenty of car parks around.

It only annoys me when you get the instructor who decides to let thier pupil loose on the main road at rush hour driving at 20mph wobbling all over the place and the old right arm 1 foot away from the steering wheel ready to pounce like a cobra and its quite clear their not ready to be out of the side roads.

:?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 01-04-04 19:08:31

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I'm based at the Folkestone test centre, there are 16 test routes with at least 34 identified corners for reversing around on test. We shouldn't have to annoy the neighbours on this.

Turn in the road is always a problem as it does briefly block the road. Instructors who stop, chat and demonstrate clutch control when residents are waiting to get by really get up my nose.

Bay parking is nasty as the council has banned us from using their car parks. The supermarkets are very busy places and don't like it and the test centre is not the best place to practice as people are always in and out on their tests.

But no, I don't think off road sites would work. As Midge says

how much will it cost us to use them for practice

Regards,

#5 01-04-04 21:29:06

adi
Verified Member
Website

Yes there are too many learners on the road, but there are too many cars on the road full stop! In the summer there are too many caravans blocking up the country roads holding us all up but hey, the roads are for sharing and i accept that, so why can't everybody just accept it and be happy. Maybe some of these whingers should have a cup of tea and put their feet up and worry about some of the more serious issues that affect the world. The way the world is going at the moment there may not be a civilisation left in a few decades to drive anywhere! Some of these 'curtain twitchers' should go out once in a while and get a life!

#6 01-04-04 21:34:09

arib
Verified Member
Website

I once had a complaint from the owner of a car who we were reverse parking on. He thought he was being quite agressive until my pupil, a 16st body builder opened the window and asked him if he wanted putting in hospital :oops: I wasn't to pleased and moved sharpish. But can laugh about it now.
Also heard of a local instructor doing a TIR outside a house and the owner came out and emptied a dustbin full of rubbish over his car. Dont know were you teach Midge but dont go to Beeston Rylands on dustbin day. lol
I can sympathise with these people but unfortunately there isn't an easy solution. After all you don't know whose been there before you so wont know if it's a nuisance. These people that complain have short memories, or were they born with a license.

ariB

#7 01-04-04 22:18:33

Badger

Motorcycle manoeuvres are taught off road in CBT so why not car manoeuvres and remove them from the test.

You can keep up the standard by just having one randomly selected manoeuvre in the test.

Bay parking is my favourite.  The DSA introduced this into the test thus making it a compulsory syllabus item.

Parking areas are alll owned by someone, either Councils or private concerns. 

They are not part of the Public Highway which is why the only place that the DSA will conduct bay parking is at Test Centres.  Would they ever be seen in a Tesco Car Park on test  -  I dont think so.

Yet we as Instructors in the main are banned from practising in Test Centers and have to go cap-in-hand to try and find areas where our training is tolerated.

I am lucky in that I have a friend who owns premises that are marked out in bays and I can use that.  No thanks to the DSA.

Badger

#8 03-04-04 17:56:05

Liesa

I remember not long after I started teaching, whilst teaching the left hand reverse to a pupil, on a corner I'd never used before. This old chap came running out of his house with a letter in his hand. The letter was from the DSA, it said that if any driving school car was seen reversing around this corner, he was to take names and numbers and report back to them.

He actually warned me off and gave me a photo copy of the letter for my records.

In our local DTCs there are notices up asking instructors not to use certain roads for manouvers, but having spoken to an examiner they apparently only put these up to keep the locals happy!

As others have already said, I don't use the same location time and time again to practise these things. I've taken on learners in the past that have said, with their previous instructor, they were actually chased away by residents, after doing reverse park after reverse park around the same vehicle. Personally I beleive that we shouldn't do more than 1 reverse park around an individual car, if it is nessesary to repeat the manouver we move on to another vehicle. The same applies to the reverse around the corner, if you need to repeat it, if possible move on.

As far as teaching test routes is concerned I don't do that either, but most of the individuals I teach, live well within the test areas I use, so it's impossible to stay off them!

#9 06-04-04 17:30:29

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I try not to use the same place over and over again. I can see the point that people make when they get learners outside there house all the time, But then at least they have people keeping a eye on  there house, If a thief wants to break in and I'm sat outside with a mobile phone i think he/she may move on.

And at my local test centre i also see a notice about not going to a certain place to do L/H reverse.
But if I'm in the area and need to use that corner i will, People have no right to tell me not to use a corner.

I once had a bloke run up to my car and tell me not to reverse park around his car ! its parked on a public road and he cant tell me not to, so i did. Just the once then moved on, who do these people think they are !

#10 08-04-04 11:03:42

Lynne
Verified Member

See below..messed this up can't see how to delete message in 'edit' box  :cry:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 08-04-04 11:05:46

Lynne
Verified Member

Bay parking is nasty as the council has banned us from using their car parks. The supermarkets are very busy places and don't like it and the test centre is not the best place to practice as people are always in and out on their tests

Big Red do you have an Aldi supermarket nearby to you?  If you do teach on Sundays, they are closed and their carparks empty  big_smile

We have one or two retail carparks our way where there are a variety of superstores sharing a massive car park.  Very popular as it also has lighting after dark.  I also don't feel I'm encroaching on anyone's space either!

We do get some residential complaints at times.  I know which corners to avoid just by listening to other instructors at the DTC.  Again, try to vary areas where to go so as not to be seen as always being in one place.

Seems most of the quietest areas are where the retirees live, hence don't have much to do all day but watch us!  :?

Best learners practice manouevres with a qualified instructor though rather than trying to p. park/b.park when out on their own surely??  That's my argument!

Lynne

Board footer