You are not logged in.

#1 24-06-05 15:11:25

alic

MOT

I was shocked yesterday, when i went to pick up my car after failing its mot, to find out that now you dont get 10 days to have the work done and get it retested, oh no, now its the next day  :shock:

What upset me is that if you dont get it retested the next day you have to pay for the mot all  :shock: over again.

It only failied on the rear tyres and the headlight needed realignment.
I went all over the place trying to get tyres today, being told - we dont have them in stock, i can get them in 4 days. I ended up driving to the next county to get them. Then I had to wait ages for the guys in the garage to sort out the headlight and take it for a retest because they were booked up today. agghhhh :evil:  What a palarva :!:

What if it had failed on more serious things that needed more time to fix?
Sorry to rant and rave, must be the weather

alic

24-06-05 15:11:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: MOT

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 24-06-05 16:48:18

Mmm

alic wrote:

What if it had failed on more serious things that needed more time to fix?

Youre only legally entitled to a free retest (which must be taken before the close of business on the following day) for certain failures, such as lights etc as you mention - they are listed on back of failure sheet. If its something else then you will have to pay for another test, unless the garage offers a  more comprehensive "free retest" offer, but this is over and above their legal obligation.
And since the retest takes as long and is as thorough as the first test, why shouldnt the garage charge the same for it?
Anyway sorry to hear of your failure but glad its sorted now.
The moral is: check the obvious things! sure, things like headlamp alignment and other things are hard to check without some expertise, but it makes sense to at least check your bulbs etc and tyres, just in case you have difficulty getting hold of them!!!

#3 24-06-05 20:43:36

Rob
Verified Member
Website

The garage i used to use would align the headlights for you if it failed on them and wouldn't charge extra.

#4 24-06-05 21:57:40

Dundeeguy
Verified Member

Thats the way it works Alic.

At the end of the day, would you work for nothing?????? A retest consists of a full test, not just items failed on. (unless its items laid out on the reverse of the VT30 then its just failed items that are tested)

Where I work we do charge for the retest, but at our hourly rate which is cheaper than the cost of an mot test.

#5 24-06-05 22:24:34

alic

its just that in the 12 years i have been driving, ive had a lot of cars and been through a lot of mot's. When my previous cars have failed, i have had 10 days to have work done and i have never paid for a retest.

i know im lucky i didnt have to pay this time. and yes rob, i had a mechanic who wouldnt have charged me for the headlight alignment.(ive moved away from him now though)  These guys charged me 20 quid.

#6 24-06-05 22:24:56

KevP

I always think it's best to have the car serviced a month before the test, you then have an idea whether there are any probs that need attention, or are worth having done,  if they are likely to be very expensive then I go back to the same garage when MOT is due, don't usually encounter any probs that way. And it always good to have the motor in tip top condition.

#7 24-06-05 22:33:38

alic

mm, good advice kevp at least i  will be ready for next time. What else are the government going to change i wonder.

God, im moaning like my nan aahh!! :oops:

#8 24-06-05 22:41:10

KevP

They'll probably introduce legislation to prevent cars older than three years being on the road, by doing that they could ensure the growth and economy of the EU and far east, after all they have vertually distroyed the cheaper end of the market over here.
Ohhhhhhhhh! now that was a moan :x

#9 03-03-06 20:08:46

swillyburgers

I take my car to the council they arnt in it for money ;D

Board footer