You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 24-03-11 10:19:41

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Yellow Pages

Has anyone had calls lately? I've just told them that I don't want to be included in their paid advertsising - I've always gone for the free line but, apparently this is changing and you will be relegated to the back of the book if you don't pay.

I get most of mine from post office ads and also have a line in Thomson, although I'll probably be canceling that this year.

I just wondered if anyone else thought that Y.P. were being more pressuring than usual. Perhaps so many are  no longer working as ADI's, Y.P are having to make more more calls to get the business. smile
Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

24-03-11 10:19:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Yellow Pages

#2 24-03-11 12:15:05

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

hi Hilary

I only use the free YP adverts it was yesterday I had an enquiry from them the first in Years. I find the internet & loca advertising more effective.

Tonyl 

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#3 24-03-11 12:22:24

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Yes, I think they may be struggling as people use so many other ways to attract business.

Hilary.

#4 25-03-11 11:59:19

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Yellow Pages have always been pushy. When we dropped our Yellow Pages advert about 5 years ago because the website was more successful the rep wouldn't take no for an answer and came to see us as normal. He was visibly annoyed we were not renewing our half page advert at nearly £5,000. When we got him to leave in a bad mood he said we would be out of business in 6 months. At the time it was risky, I will admit, but we tracked all of our enquiries and the pupils Yellow Pages brought in kept enough instructors on the road to pay for the advert so wasn't worth doing. It was unusual for a Driving School to have a professional website at the time.

We get the occasional pushy call from Yellow Pages now. They have moved on but are firmly in the first age of internet that business is moving on from now. They don't seem to have any plans for the new generation of web marketing encompassing all of what are known as the web 2 technologies and embracing the 'social attitude' of the internet.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#5 25-03-11 13:14:49

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

I wonder if social networking will eliminate YP. On the other hand, some people are reverting back to offline because of the problems and complication online advertising can bring. The Internet's main advantage has always been leverage ( supposedly ) but you still have to be able to get into the network or the search...etc...etc...;-)

I mention leverage becasue it's rather pointless for a one man band.

Hilary.

#6 25-03-11 13:40:43

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Think beyond current social networking to the attitude it builds Hilary. Searching and looking up disappear and conversations become the main form of communication. A good example is the recent revolutions in the Middle East. I guess all of the people didn't do a Google search at the same time about a popular uprising but the conversation started over the internet.

Social networking as it exists is a brilliant way to find pupils. It's where our target audience are kicking around chatting. It's like walking into a student common room and being able to bring up the topic of driving lessons and start a discussion, not present and sell, start a discussion and persuade. The places these conversations exist at the moment is primarily Facebook and Twitter. If the social users get fed up and find something better this will change quickly, anybody remember My Space?

The big promise of the new era of communication the technologies on offer is that they are all making it easy to connect and share from other systems. For example, you sit in your car and have a lesson to fill next thursday at 2:00. Put this in your phone diary and immediately it can be tweeted and become a status update on Facebook. On Facebook one of your pupils who has a friend looking for lessons sees your status update. They then follow a link in that status update to book the lesson which updates your phone diary. Sounds a lot of things going on, remember it's all automated so the instructor puts it in their diary new pupil sees it and books. Where is there going to be a need, or time, to look up directories or even do a Google search? How do Yellow Pages, Thomson etc. fit into this?

The good thing for us at the moment is the social attitude is a personal one more than a big business one so Driving Instructors can really benefit by being people in the space. The mechanisms to exploit this world are emerging driven by the way phone and ipad apps are developing.

Colin Martin

#7 25-03-11 17:45:48

Lynne
Verified Member

Yes Hilary, some Irish bloke from YP keeps leaving me messages saying the same thing.  He's always rung when I'm teaching so not had to answer the calls.  I think I know the number now wink

#8 25-03-11 18:01:27

on board training

Hi,

Decision last week to not run in YP this coming year and the salesman was visually shocked didn't expect it and I explained that even the .com and book was out of date the way they were operating and better results could be had elsewhere - we had 4 books 2 half columns full colour and 5 .coms - so big fail on their part and £s going elsewhere to other advertising on our part.

Brian

#9 26-03-11 12:54:57

DTDriver
Verified Member

Colin Martin,

You have some very good positive ideas there! Good Post

#10 04-05-11 10:50:02

o0 Andy 0o

I take the point that we all have to move with the times in order to attract more business. Is social media the way forward?I'm not sure! I have been using Facebook from a business point of view for almost a year. Advertising on the site was useless and quite expensive. I didn't receive one good lead from it. I encourage my existing pupils to become a fan of my page in the hope that this would generate interest from their friends. Again without success  sad

All my leads from the internet come from Google with the remaining coming from recommendations. From my experience I think the best form of generating business is to have a presence where people are going to be actively searching for your type of business ie search engines, local press etc.

#11 04-05-11 12:03:17

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

I would agree, any pay per click advertising is an expensive way to get people to notice you, be it Facebook or Google.

Using Facebook is something some people can do well. If you go all business like and try to use a page then the community ethos sort of ignores it. We have a page for our Apps, the best thing it does is improve the SEO for our website. There are Instructors that are able to use it in a more personal capacity and become part of a community of learners.

My point is that the active search is a way of finding business that is reducing where businesses are getting noticed as a part of online social communities. For the pupil it removes the need to go searching. With the internet moving towards embracing the social element my opinion is this will be the next generation of the online world, a world of sharing rather than asking and being told. So whilst a Google search might be the most popular way of finding somebody now this is changing.

Colin Martin

#12 06-05-11 17:48:56

gadgetdriver
Website

A couple of years ago I had a very entertaining discussion with YP on the phone.
"Wouldn't you like to upgrade to a paid ad?"
"No, I don't want more pupils"
"Why not have a small ad so that if one pupil mentions you to another, they can find your number?"
"Won't that bring me a couple of pupils I wouldn't otherwise get?"
"YES! Isn't that good?"
"I don't want or need more pupils."
"But what if someone's lost your number and can't recommend a friend?"
"Oh yes, I could get more pupils that way."
"Exactly, see, it could benefit you"
"Not if I don't want any more pupils."

It took a few iterations before they got the idea. I was getting more than enough from recommendations and was actually trying to reduce the on-road hours at the time, but I wasn't going to tell them that directly. It kept a smile on my face for the whole call.

Generally I don't think there's a better way to get a pupil than personal recommendation. In 7 years I only ever got a very small number any other way. It's better for the instructor because there's a link to someone you know, and it's better for the pupil because there's less chance of getting an unreliable instructor due to sticking pins in adverts.

ADI since 2004.
Producer of animated and printed briefing materials.
www.drivertrainingacademy.com

#13 27-07-12 18:59:39

www.1waydriving.net
Website

I've had one call in 5 years with the free. Yellow Pages doesn't work any more its a relic from a different time. Thats the case here in Dewsbury and Wakefield.

www.1waydriving.net

Driving Lessons Wakefield and Dewsbury - www.1waydriving.net

#14 27-07-12 21:59:39

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I got a pushy call last year and a more friendly one recently. They simply don't believe it when I try to explain that I don't want any more pupils.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

Board footer