You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 22-03-11 20:49:30

G
Verified Member
Website

Are Eco cars worth the extra money?

Due to the high mileage we do & the ever increasing cost of fuel are these models a good buy for ADI's? My current fuel bill is about £120 a week, if I can get a car that is 20% more efficient then I could be saving £20+ a week or over £1000 a year!
Any view on what the current models are like & whether you think they are worth it?

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

22-03-11 20:49:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Are Eco cars worth the extra money?

#2 26-03-11 13:03:40

DTDriver
Verified Member

My i ask what type of car are you using at the moment?

Will this help: http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/green-m … =147863533

#3 26-03-11 23:05:47

G
Verified Member
Website

Using a Mazda 2 at the moment getting about 45-50mpg but if the Eco cars get 75mpg that's a big saving over a year. The question is do they actually get anywhere near the published figures?

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#4 27-03-11 09:30:05

DTDriver
Verified Member

I am interested in the Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTi 95. Vauxhall have increased the bhp to suit the new model better now! Where previously performance was very sluggish! I previously had the older version and was roughly getting 50mpg on lessons with good reliability too, So think i will try this model out!

#5 27-03-11 12:14:07

DampDog
Verified Member

IMO they're a complete waste of the extra money. By definition they need to be driven economically to get the best out of them, their performance is generally speaking poor so if you drive them harder to overcome that, it defeats the point. Learners need to grasp the basics before eco, so potential for savings is limited.

Plus judging by what most car reviewers say the eco mileage claims are never achieved. Stop-start technology being the only real fuel saver. But stop-start vs Stop-stall might be a right pain for a learner.

Buying a diesel turbo is you best bet and leave it at that.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#6 29-03-11 08:35:02

Carlo
Verified Member

I agree with DampDog smile.

The "Eco Range Models" normally cost more. Personally, I worked out by the time I wound be making a significant saving, it would be time to sell up / exchange it.

Most cars can be Eco Friendly, it's the way you drive it that makes the difference! :angel:

"It's easy when you know how!"

#7 31-03-11 20:56:49

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

Hi, I teach in a Focus econetic 1.6Tdci. 
Car drives like a dream, is powerful (110bHP) and responsive, with great handling. 
Economy on lessons averages out at around 50-55 mpg, for personal use about 68mpg and on a motorway run 80-85mpg (at a frugal 60mph) 
Road fund licence comes in a wallet friendly £30 per year. 
The biggest expense will be the 75000 mile service, when the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) needs replacing, that service bill alone will be in the region of £1000 as the DPF is over £600 Plus the dreaded VAT then the rest of the service cost on top. 
Any vehicle with a DPF needs regular motorway journeys to get it working properly as they require the whole system to carry out a dynamic regeneration (burning off excess deposits in the DPF) which will only happen really on motorway journeys due to engine and exhaust temperatures.

Just because I'm a driving instructor, it doesn't make me a dual control freak. 
www.way-ahead-driving.co.uk

#8 31-03-11 21:39:36

on board training

Hi,

Opposite end of the scale. yikes

VXR8 gets 25mpg for longer journeys at steady pace, 18mpg for town driving and 3 to 6mpg :evil: with heavy right foot and lower gears.

Road tax a bit high too at £435+

But for me, worth it and my bit of fun and don't do high miles in a year.

On the plus side my wife looking to change hers when the time is right and considering a Golf r  :angel:

Brian

#9 31-03-11 21:44:43

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

Yeah my GTO 3000 twin turbo is a much nicer drive than the Focus and a lot thirstier.  But so much nicer driving experience, kicking out over 350bhp.  0 to 60 a little under 5 seconds.  Limited at 150mph and goes straight to it.  Corners like a dream with lowered and stiffened suspension all round.  I love track days smile

Just because I'm a driving instructor, it doesn't make me a dual control freak. 
www.way-ahead-driving.co.uk

#10 05-04-11 21:11:57

Loony
Verified Member

I think my Seat Ibiza FR 2.0 Tdi strikes a good balance easy 55mpg teaching, fun when not teaching!! :evil: worst mpg 46.
On a good long run steady 70mph 65-73 mpg.

The older I get ..................... The better I was!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 05-04-11 21:51:58

hector
Verified Member
Website

IMO they're a complete waste of the extra money. By definition they need to be driven economically to get the best out of them, their performance is generally speaking poor so if you drive them harder to overcome that, it defeats the point. Learners need to grasp the basics before eco, so potential for savings is limited.

Plus judging by what most car reviewers say the eco mileage claims are never achieved. Stop-start technology being the only real fuel saver. But stop-start vs Stop-stall might be a right pain for a learner.

Buying a diesel turbo is you best bet and leave it at that.

As the driver of the dogs old car a 1.9 TDI sport polo, i have to agree. Sold my lovely A1, it had all the eco stuff you could imagine, however it got around 65 mpg driven properly, the same bizarrly as the dogs old polo is getting now!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#12 19-04-11 06:12:27

ratty

How long did you keep the A1 for James?

#13 19-04-11 18:22:53

hector
Verified Member
Website

yikes  8 weeks  :cry:

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#14 19-04-11 20:11:51

ratty

What was wrong with it? I quite like the look of them but is there something about them I don't know?

#15 19-04-11 20:22:51

hector
Verified Member
Website

No nothing wrong especially the residuals lol . Cracking car

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#16 19-04-11 20:25:41

ratty

But not worth keeping for more than 8 weeks?

The residuals must be very positive.

#17 19-04-11 20:31:43

hector
Verified Member
Website

divorce forced reluctasnt sale unfortunately sad

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#18 20-04-11 05:35:03

ratty

Ahh! Fair enough.

Would you recommend it, the car that is.

#19 20-04-11 07:43:02

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ratty
Yes its a superb car, the main consideration when buyin im sure your aware is the resudual, A1 is the best out there by a mile and a half. 62% if i remember rightly. I sold mine for the same money i bought it for after 3000 miles and 2 months. The eqivalent cheapo fiesta would have lost 3K in that time.

Audi obviously messed up the pricing on the TDI SE, thats the one to go for if you could get one but its still 6-8 months waiting time.

5 door will be the nicest when its out, but on the other hand the polo is just as good a car.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#20 22-04-11 20:21:45

neil8181
Verified Member

Learners need to grasp the basics before eco, so potential for savings is limited.

fair comment, though in germany they will not pass with poor economy driving. won't be long before it's happening over here.

Approved Driving Instructor
DSA Grade 6 Fleet Registered
A1 Assessor
NVQ Level 3 in Driving Instruction
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

#21 25-04-11 19:52:11

Carlo
Verified Member

Hi Ratty
Yes its a superb car, the main consideration when buyin im sure your aware is the resudual, A1 is the best out there by a mile and a half. 62% if i remember rightly. I sold mine for the same money i bought it for after 3000 miles and 2 months. The eqivalent cheapo fiesta would have lost 3K in that time.

Audi obviously messed up the pricing on the TDI SE, thats the one to go for if you could get one but its still 6-8 months waiting time.

5 door will be the nicest when its out, but on the other hand the polo is just as good a car.

Does a Ford Fiesta and an Audi A1 cost the same to buy new though?

"It's easy when you know how!"

#22 25-04-11 20:34:50

hector
Verified Member
Website

hector wrote:

Hi Ratty

Does a Ford Fiesta and an Audi A1 cost the same to buy new though?

Actually no the Fiesta is slightly more expensive

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Board footer