You are not logged in.

#1 09-02-11 18:41:11

wrc-vip

just home from my 1st attempt at part 3, full report now added...

hi folks, im new on here and just stumbled across this forum by good luck!

anyway im up for the high jump next week and bricking it lol, will be my 1st attempt and im 10 months into my trainee license, im using frazer birds expert briefings on cd and dvd and also his presentation file, , ive 3 2hr training sessions between now and next thursday, my briefings arent too bad and im finding his faults that he throws up which is a bonus and also now doing the "why" and "if" when i find the faults, its frying my head like im sure it has done with everybody else, im hearing so many scare stories from other instructors but i just hope they are scare techniques and i tend not to listen now lol..

anyway sorry to waffle on, i really want this so much and the sleepless nights and worry are adding up...

regards
paul c

09-02-11 18:41:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: just home from my 1st attempt at part 3, full report now added...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 10-02-11 14:42:54

lucy
Verified Member
Website

Something a fully qualified ADI asked me when I said I'd booked my part 3 was "what will you be wearing" treat it like a job interview, so dress smartly, make sure your office (car) is clean and shipshape, if you think you might forget something when doing the briefings, then draw a picture or write a list (I still forgot things though) know your subject inside out, and most of all try to relax and get on with it.

Hope it goes well.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 10-02-11 15:36:18

wrc-vip

Something a fully qualified ADI asked me when I said I'd booked my part 3 was "what will you be wearing" treat it like a job interview, so dress smartly, make sure your office (car) is clean and shipshape, if you think you might forget something when doing the briefings, then draw a picture or write a list (I still forgot things though) know your subject inside out, and most of all try to relax and get on with it.

Hope it goes well.

thanks, yes, im going for the trousers, shirt, tie and shoes, im very ocd with everything and the car will also be immaculate inside and out as always, im gaining more confidence the closer i get to this, just want it to happen now to see how good/bad i am...

#4 11-02-11 17:52:28

Aspyre

Remember that the briefing is one tick in one box. And you'll do it once. Apart from controls, don't take too long.

Identify, analyse, remedy - as long as there's nothing wrong with you, you'll pass or fail on those! lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 11-02-11 18:32:22

wrc-vip

Remember that the briefing is one tick in one box. And you'll do it once. Apart from controls, don't take too long.

Identify, analyse, remedy - as long as there's nothing wrong with you, you'll pass or fail on those! lol

useful, thanks, yes i like the briefing dvds etc as he uses Q AND A and it sticks in my head better lol, its when on the move that counts and being in total control, thats my understanding?

#6 12-02-11 20:10:18

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

I always find the use of a notepad extremely useful so you can do a quick sketch if necessary (nothing too detailed, keep it basic) can reinforce what you are saying and can make it easier to gain agreement from the examiner.  Try and keep a drink handy in the car, I don't get nervous very often but found my mouth as dry and arid as the Sahara Dessert on my Part 3. 
Worked well for me and came out with a 5-5, she got my point immediately with a quick diagram and did not repeat the fault. 
I also now on lessons make good use of a digital camera when a pupil is struggling with certain things like reference points or the way they set mirrors etc.  Don't know if i'd make use of the camera on Part 3 though.  Depends on PST you get I suppose. 

Good luck with it all and pay attention to the PST, don't go off track.

Just because I'm a driving instructor, it doesn't make me a dual control freak. 
www.way-ahead-driving.co.uk

#7 13-02-11 09:44:56

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Mickey your post is fab, some superb suggestions.  One subject no one has really touched on is level of instruction.

This is one very important part of the part 3, getting the level right could be life death, the concept is to match the students skills and knowledge to your input.  Think of it like a scale 1-10, 1 been no help (a subject they know & can do well) 5 been prompts like 'what else' or 'what about your mirrors?' Through to full talkthrough 'clutchdown &keep there, in to1st gear .....'

Been flexible and tailoring the level to the client and the subject or sub subject will show results, remember that they might be great at junction,just rubbish at steering or gears so talking or guiding them through those only, should see results.

Often pdis and ADIs only tackle the affect instead of the cause. Find the reason for the poor steering too.  The remedial action will then work. Its A bit like a doctor giving tablets, but for the wrong condition otherwise!

Finally,briefings are exactly that. List and discuss the NEED TO KNOW items, make it Interactive and anything else will be picked up during the practicAL BIT, remember you can always go back to theory by a pull up on most subjects if necessary. 

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#8 13-02-11 09:57:14

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

Miniskirt briefings - long enough to cover the basics and short enough to keep you interested. 

As ijmoore says above.  Work on the cause of the fault, this will then automatically eliminate the effect if you have called it correct. 

Don't over instruct, let them make the mistake initially.  Suit the level of instruction to the ability of the role played pupil. 

Remember the S.E. is NOT going to wreck your car or cause an accident. 

Make bulletpoint notes from their briefing if necessary instead of trying to remember the word picture.

#9 16-02-11 19:26:41

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

Good luck for tomorrow.

#10 16-02-11 21:29:28

wrc-vip

thanks very much, just going through my notes....

#11 17-02-11 14:25:13

wrc-vip

just back to house and boy was that an eye opener! where do i start? in northern ireland we have to wait for 2-3 days on the result to be posted out, i already know i have had an epic fail just by thinking what i could have done better..

i got pst 5, emergency stop and use of mirrors, i felt confident at the start with my intro and my q and a for use of mirrors and he played ball, he tried to muck me around by leaning forward to adjust door mirror and when he sat back he said "i cant see side of car now or door handle in corner of mirror" i was onto him quickly and got it sorted by telling him to lean forward and adjust a few times then when sitting back he should have mirror properly set!

we moved off and i did a talk through on mirrors on the move and we came to first junction and he signalled before mirror check, i quickly reminded him of the importance of the check and also the msm routine again, now when nearing the test area to turn right into side road we were stopped when a plonker coming in the opposite direction slowed down and flashed his headlamps for use to cross, the se said "oh hes flashing at me what do i do"? i said to make sure signal was intended for us and check right door mirror before moving off, we then pulled up for a briefing on the emergency stop, he tried to confuse me a little with silly questions but i didnt let him trip me up i think..

now, onto the stop itself, the 1st 2 attemps he braked slowly and stalled, i thought it was time i woke up and jumped onto it and pulled him in, we got on the road again and the 3rd attempt was spot on only the car skidded a little and he was all "what happend there etc" i told him with the road being wet as discussed in the briefing that this may cause the car to skid and not to brake as harsh next time, by this stage there was 3-4mins left and i was up against it, next time we done it he was perfect, then on the last attempt he was ok until i realised at the last min he was looking in top mirror "doh!"

i pulled him in as i had only 1 min left and quickly discussed why he shouldnt look in the mirror and where he should be looking, at that point he ended the 1st phase and told me not to move while he marked the 1st phase..

barely 25secs passed when he went into phase 2, he was test ready but having trouble with his speed and road positioning, i went into q and a with the usual questions and he aswered me correctly, i then got him on the move and straight away he was to close to the kerb, i tried to explain and give markers but he wasnt playing ball, we turned left at a t junction and i pulled him in, i got out a picture i had taken from my driving position and said we were both the same height and look where the kerb was coming into the car on dashboard, at this point he didnt play ball and said it was different than photo, i then told him to move off and we would work on it on the move, he started playing ball by saying "if a car door was open would that be a meter away like where im driving now" bang, penny dropped i agreed and said approx that would be correct position, i then said not to look  close to dashboard and instead look into road ahead and said if you were hanging a picture and you were close to it you wouldnt know if it were level, but when you stand back at a distance you could judge it better, ah he said, now i get it, thats more useful...

now onto speed, it wasnt to bad just a touch slow but it was emptying down in rain and very merky, i said his speed at 25 mph would be better as there are alot of parked cars around and spray coming of others and things arnt as clear so a reduced speed would be better, next junction he hesitated, we sat for 20-30secs before i caught on what he was at, then i got him on the move and explaing gaps and when to go etc..

anyway, when just around the corner from the test centre i started to ask had had he learned road positioning etc as there was a lorry blocking the road and i stopped him, he said yes he fully understood and  the picture reference was clever and made good sense and how it made good sense, he then laughed and said his wife would be happy now too as he now knew how to hang a picture and maybe thats why all the pictures in his house were crooked lol, i laughed and so did he..

i then debriefed him on speed and why it was important to judge safe speed in those weather conditions...

anyway, i feel i could have done much much better and was maybe slow to react at times and i hope got all his faults and what he was expecting..

long wait to monday now and the postman for my result, i do think though a 3-3 is on on the cards maybe at best...

all comments welcome!

#12 17-02-11 15:52:22

Luchell
Verified Member

Just to get more info on some bits, you mention he sat forwards to move the door mirror/s and that you jumped on that issue. You then got him to sit forwards again adjust the mirrors then sit back into his driving position and all was in place for him as it should be? Is that the jist or am I reading it wrong?   

#13 17-02-11 16:44:26

wrc-vip

he leaned forward and set his door mirror for that seating position, then obviously when he sat back for his normal driving position the mirror was totally wrong and he said "i cant see properly now" or words to that effect...

#14 17-02-11 16:51:04

Luchell
Verified Member

Yup I got that bit. The way I read it it sounded like you then got him to sit forwards and adjust it again a few times then sit back and the mirror would be in the correct place to fix the issue (. Reading your last post I suspect I either read it wrong or it came across wrongly as you state above that would be incorrect). Wanted to ask as I was finding it confusing.

#15 17-02-11 16:54:51

wrc-vip

ok, sorry, sitting back in the normal driving position he couldnt reach the adjuster, so, he had to adjust it a few times while sitting forward until it was correct, he done the same with the top mirror and i quickly corrected that also.. he understood what i was getting at, im maybe coming across a little confused and didnt come out as intended..sorry..

#16 17-02-11 17:09:07

Luchell
Verified Member

Ahhhhhhhh no I'm with you now. I didn;t realise the mirrors were manually adjusted  lol My bad  smile

#17 17-02-11 17:11:04

wrc-vip

Ahhhhhhhh no I'm with you now. I didn;t realise the mirrors were manually adjusted  lol My bad  smile

lol, now come on, the wee micra hasnt the fancy electric door mirrors..

does it read like a fail or pass?? the more i think back on the test then the more i think fail...

#18 18-02-11 01:13:55

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Hi wrc.

What examiner did you get, trevor, donal, or eddie?

Sounds like you had a murky day for a part 3.  I passed part 3 in Belfast on my 5th attempt and on 4 of those I thought Id done well(ish)....

...full story here http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 321.0.html

The time I passed was the only time I felt negative about the result....so dont assume you have done bad.

Ring the ADI office in Balmoral tomorrow and ask what your result was, I was told over the phone that I got a 5/5

Cant wait to hear your news.

#19 18-02-11 08:31:33

wrc-vip

hi jonny, i got jim pollock and apparently he is a very fair marker and has some wit that we are all trying our best, he did try alot of silly things on me in hindsight and if i was to watch it all back i wouldnt probably cringe with the waffle i was coming out with lol..

will ring balmoral later today..

thanks

#20 18-02-11 11:36:04

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Best wisghes WRC.

Reading between the lines of what you've put in your write up, it wasn't a disaster, so chin up, and make that fone call!!!

#21 18-02-11 13:13:39

wrc-vip

just off the phone, i passed with a 5/4

words cannot describe how i feel............

#22 18-02-11 13:20:40

VandADI
Administrator

Wow, a great result, very well done  smile

#23 18-02-11 14:34:37

KevB
Verified Member
Website

congrats smile

#24 18-02-11 14:38:33

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

Hey WRC great result, well done.  Good luck for the future.

#25 18-02-11 16:02:40

Luchell
Verified Member

Woooooooohoooooooooooooooo  lol

Board footer