You are not logged in.

#1 14-06-05 19:56:32

Anonymous

Warming Up?

It's best to start the engine and drive a.s.a.p. as this warms the engine sooner  so causes less wear on the engine & also reduces rusting in the exhaust system.
Any thoughts?

14-06-05 19:56:32

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Warming Up?

#2 14-06-05 20:22:06

Mmm

can....open
worms....everywhere...

I think there will be a lot of different views people strongly cling to on this one!! I personally do what it says in my owners handbook, Im thinking that altho i know a few things the guys who built the car are the experts and Ill happily defer to them - I let it idle for 30 secs before driving. Altho its colder for SLIGHTLY longer (tbh warming up at fast idle revs is only marginally slower than warming up at gentle driving revs), the parts are moving against each other slower during the critical warm-up phase so less wear overall is taking place.  My 2 cents you understand...
As for rusting in the exhaust tho this is a different issue as the times involved are much greater. I think 20 mins is the point after which condensation from start-up in the exhaust is burnt off, so cars used on journeys longer than this generally arent left with moisture in the exhausts so their exhausts have longer lives in terms of miles. So in most cases 30 secs or so before driving off wont make any difference. 15 minutes waiting probably will tho! but at the expense of your wallet, neighbours, patience etc etc
Id be interested to hear what other peope's owner's manuals say about this.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 17-01-06 19:30:16

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I drive a Corsa 1.3Cdti design and the manual says to drive off as soon as you start the enging, it is better to warm the engine through normal driving than sitting idle.

#4 17-01-06 22:24:20

Van Man
Verified Member

With modern vehicles it is advisable to drive straight off as we don't have to fiddle with choke controls. Most likely that the manufacturer has incorporated some way of putting a load on the engine to make it heat up faster.(electronic trickery me thinks). Any way you have cleaned the windows, done your cockpit checks, so off you go!!

DON'T GET ME STARTED.
I'm not doing it wrong,Its just another way of doing it right!
IAM observer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 17-01-06 22:29:27

Andi

I drive a Corsa 1.3Cdti design and the manual says to drive off as soon as you start the enging, it is better to warm the engine through normal driving than sitting idle.

Yep...Im agreeing with this..and it is what i do!

Andi

1.gif

#6 17-01-06 22:47:57

la.monikita
Verified Member

yep, I'll do the same providing it's +5 outside, if it's -5, I'll turn the engine on whilst i de-snow/ice the windows and when i get in i won't get fog up EVERYWHERE wink big_smile

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#7 20-01-06 20:30:43

luchell

Likewise La mon don't you just hate it when you've defrosted the car get in and it mists up and takes almost as long as the ice to get rid of  roll

#8 20-01-06 20:46:18

Andi

no....nothing like steamy windows is there?? what a pain!

Andi big_smile

1.gif

Board footer