You are not logged in.

#1 11-10-10 20:02:29

AndyLawton
Verified Member

ideas please for CPD.

:afro: dont know why I put the afro just think it looks cool.

Anyway, I realy want to crack on with CPD in a constructive manner not just to tick a DSA box and comply but to realy get something out of the time I put into it so my business and pupils get some benefits as well.
I dont want to do a book keeping course or first aid course but something of real value that will help me develope my skills and be a better ADI.

What are you doing and whats your reason for choosing that specific subject. !!!!

If I was to approach my local college what type of courses should I be looking at or asking for !!!!

The DIA Diploma is it realy what it appears to be or will it be a drain on resources and time that could be better spent !!!!

Please be constructive with ideas and not sidetrack the topic  :police:

Andy

Turnover is vanity   -    Profit is sanity

11-10-10 20:02:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ideas please for CPD.

#2 11-10-10 20:09:15

daz6215
Verified Member

city and guilds 7303 is a good start, It will give you a taster for classroom skills and different teaching methods,  wink

#3 11-10-10 20:16:55

AndyLawton
Verified Member

thanks Daz, is that something that might be available through the local college !!
just googled it and thats the kind of thing I'm after

#4 11-10-10 20:24:36

AndyLawton
Verified Member

Ok just done another google Daz and found a course held in Chesterfield I'll make some enquiries.

#5 11-10-10 20:27:43

daz6215
Verified Member

go for it mate, thats my next one i think wink

#6 11-10-10 20:47:14

AndyLawton
Verified Member

Hi,

noticed you have the Diploma Daz, in a nut shell what do you think about going for it, would you do it again with the benefit of hindesight,

Just filled in application form for the CG 7303 course to be held in Chesterfield in Dec, Jan.

#7 11-10-10 21:03:49

daz6215
Verified Member

Hi Andy the RoSPA Diploma course was a good course and will open other doors into the fleet world, the only downside it's expensive costing around £1100 if you already are at Gold standard, couple that with a weeks lost earnings and accommodation for the week you can see it ain't cheap, do I regret doing it? in a word definitely not mate, I have had many doors open as a result and it is nationally recognised.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 11-10-10 21:05:34

samds
Verified Member
Website

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#9 11-10-10 21:19:39

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

I'm doing PTLLS 10/11 ATM (this is equivalent to C&G 7303). Nearly half way through the 12 week course.
Opted for evening rather than afternoon session. This means i'm getting home at between 9 to 9.30 pm.
Its hard work but interesting. I'm finding the homework side difficult to fit iin with running the business.
Most of the students are doing CTLLS which takes the whole academic year, then going on to do a PGCE.
The cost for PTLLS at my local college is £275.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#10 11-10-10 22:08:56

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Hi Andy,

May I suggest you think about what you want to be doing work wise in say 2 or 5 years, then find CPD courses that will allow you to achieve that..... e.g do you want to stay teaching learners but be better at it?  Do you want to start your own school and have instructors working for you?  Instructor training?  Fleet?  Improve your driving?  Teaching those with special needs?  LGV/PCV?  Drivers CPC?  A coumputer related course so you can create your own lesson plan diagrams?

If your doing anything DSA related such as staying with learners or instructor training then something like the DIA Diploma will improve your knowledge there, and the DIAmond tests or Cardington special test would help.

If your getting into fleet then ROSPA Gold and ROSPA diploma would be of more bennefit.

No doubt I'll open a can of worms here, but there are differences between DSA and ROSPA so you need to relate it to what you want to do.

A coaching course like the NLP one already suggested would help in both.

For me personally, improving my driving by doing the advanced tests certainly improved my teaching ability, and it has changed how/what I teach.

I havent done the ROSPA diploma, but I've heard good things about it and it's on my todo list.....  Currently doing the city & guilds PTLLS  7303, 10 week course at local college.  To be honest, most of the stuff I allready do, and the stuff I dont is because it's not really relevant to me.  I haven't learnt anything new or helpful yet, but I think that's a reflection on my previous training rather than a shortcoming of the course, and I know it will look good on my CV when it comes to fleet work.

I have a whole list of CPD things I want to do, and a good idea of where they are, how much, course duration, how they will help me ect.... it's basically a case of time and money - as previously mentioned a weeks course at £1,000 or whatever is expensive enough, but then you loose a weeks work and loss of income there too, so it's like 2 weeks off, or paying for 2 courses (although the course fee is tax deductible).

hope that helps, good luck with whatever you decide to do  tongue

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 12-10-10 16:41:46

ExAdiNigel

Hi Andy the RoSPA Diploma course was a good course and will open other doors into the fleet world, the only downside it's expensive costing around £1100 if you already are at Gold standard, couple that with a weeks lost earnings and accommodation for the week you can see it ain't cheap, do I regret doing it? in a word definitely not mate, I have had many doors open as a result and it is nationally recognised.

That's shot up in price from when I did it.  Mind you that's about 6 years ago now.

I would endorse the value of this course though, I learnt more from this course than I ever have on any other.  Thoroughly recommend it.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#12 12-10-10 21:32:22

AndyLawton
Verified Member

Thanks for the input, Phil your comments especialy interesting.

I'm going to do the CG 7303, £425 3 days in Dec then another 2 in Jan.

Once I have this I will continue to the higher levels avaialble, Associated teaching role and then the Full teaching role. I'm happy with my choice and will also look at the Cardington and DIA special test to improve my driving skills and better my teaching of my students.

I will in due course report after my 3 days in Dec and let you know how it's gone.

Andy

#13 12-10-10 21:47:33

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Good luck Andy, nice to hear from someone who wants to improve themselves

.phil.
tongue

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#14 12-10-10 21:58:30

AndyLawton
Verified Member

Do what you've always done and get what you've always got.

Not me I want more and am prepared to put some work in to get it. lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 12-10-10 23:44:49

ExAdiNigel

Do what you've always done and get what you've always got.

In a way that's what you could be doing by going for the DIA special test or Cardington.  I would still recommend doing one of the advanced tests based on Roadcraft to give an alternative view on driving skills and methods.

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#16 13-10-10 00:23:24

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Well I only suggested Andy goes in for them once, not repeatedly  lol lol

As DIA Special & Cardington are at a much higher level than learner test or part 2, it would be something new and different. 

If your going to be focusing on preparing people for DSA tests then I would suggest advanced driving tests based upon the DSA system would be more beneficial.  But I'm not criticising RoSPA - I have RoSPA Gold, am a RoSPA tutor and will eventually do RoSPA Diploma.  The advanced awareness and planning you learn for RoSPA will be useful for any driver and can be used for DSA based tests, but you'll learn that same advanced awareness and planning to pass DIA Special or Cardington.

But I'm not going to argue.  Andy asked for advice, and what I said appears to have helped him, and I'm only replying because I'm an insomniac who's wide awake and this is giving me something to do

biurgh

.phil.
:angel:

#17 16-10-10 09:13:14

Target
Verified Member
Website

Have you considered the Coaching courses run by either Cranfield University or UEL down in London.

http://www.uel.ac.uk/psychology/staff/j … ssmore.htm

http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/soe/shortcou … e3828.html

If you speak to Dr Lisa Dorn or Jonathan Passmore direct they will be more than happy to help im sure.

p.s These may not be specific links but direct you to the right places.

There are of course some workshops run in England from some of the most qualified instructors in the business. The good thing is they know what they are talking about rather than some who claim to think they know what they are talking about wink

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Board footer