You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 08-10-10 15:43:24

skip qualify
Verified Member

Your experiences with independent driving

[b]Good, Bad or Ugly..... lets hear 'em.

SQ

08-10-10 15:43:24

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Your experiences with independent driving

#2 08-10-10 20:23:06

Dux
Verified Member
Website

Sat in on my first ID test today. I was really interested to see how it worked in practice, we were quite well into the test when the examiner pulled over my pupil, showed her a map of two mini roundabouts, told her to go ahead at the first one and right at the second one, then follow the road ahead and go left at the end of it, she coped easily with it, no issues at all, next phase turn right at lights and follow the signs for Oldham, he even reminded her about the sign halfway down the road as it was quite a long road, but once more no problems.

It actually nothing more than I would do on lessons, in fact I usually do a lot more, if your learners are of a decent standard they really shouldn't have a problem with it, I'm going to sit in on a few more before I can make an overall judgement, first impressions though, nothing to fear for a well coached pupil smile Also the examiner could not have been more helpful.

Part 1 Passed April 07

Part 2 Passed June 07 3 Minors

Part 3 Delayed Success 05/12/07    3-3

Part 3 Passed 20/02/08      5-5

Diamond Advanced Driver 03/06/08

www.polepositiondrivertraining.co.uk

#3 09-10-10 09:05:48

ADIALAN
Verified Member
Website

Had two tests this week. Both first time passes and pupil wanted me to sit in on one of them.

Easy.

Only one manoeuvre to carry out and a clear diagram of three junctions ahead that any driver should understand.

Following the road signs was easy, the examiner actually told my pupil which way to go at one junction even though my pupil never asked and knew where to go anyway.

"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity - genius has its limits"

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 09-10-10 11:25:33

Peter_Cary
Verified Member
Website

Had two tests this week. Both first time passes and pupil wanted me to sit in on one of them.

Easy.

Only one manoeuvre to carry out and a clear diagram of three junctions ahead that any driver should understand.

Following the road signs was easy, the examiner actually told my pupil which way to go at one junction even though my pupil never asked and knew where to go anyway.

I've had two this week as well both were asked to follow directions and actually used the same route.

Both were warned of a junction and told to turn before the chevrons!! (What is the point of this independent driving if they are not going to be allowed to get lost)

One was actually told that the road turned sharply to the right!! (The road appears to go straight ahead and almost EVERYONE attemps to go straight on when first shown it. Yes it is a quirk that I do warn clients of it)

Click here

In the past I have had clients fail for not checking their mirrors and indicating they were turning "left" at this junction. As the road drops before the junction on the corner so the white lines don't show themselves until almost upon the junction (unlike the Google Street View car which has its camera mounted 6 feet above the roof of the car  smile ) and normally there are more cars parked on the right hiding its presence almost completely.

It seems to me that the examiners have been told to make sure "ID" works and the DSA does not end up with egg on its face and the examiners are being in some cases overly helpful as you seem to be hinting at.

I would love to know if this is the case nationwide, please include it in your reports.

However I have heard some found the "schematic maps" confusing and I expect this could well be a very personal thing as most of my Autistic clients have had REAL problems with them. But every client has asked why don't they use "proper" maps and I'm afraid I can't tell them even though I have been asking that vey question of The DSA for some time now.

There are already reports of TCM telling instructors "shopping lists" of directions are NOT allowed whilst my first test was allowed and she had not booked herself as a SN candidate which give the impression they are making it up as they go along.

The DSA are still conducting trials with the possible use of Sat Navs.

I know that I deal with many more "challenging" clients than most but there are so many questions that even after e-mails to Trevor I am still waiting for answers, one WEEK AFTER it has begun, should this be the case or should the changes have been delayed until it was well and truely tried and tested?

#5 09-10-10 16:17:02

Target
Verified Member
Website

All good.

When I give pupils the instructions to follow it makes them realise how much more work they have to do when they cannot find a junction in the road, or cannot read the signs to the local cinema etc etc or avoid the motorways as they are learners at this time.

The fact they realise they need to be able to do this safely before they take their test means I can work alot easier with them making them safe drivers. big_smile

Very happy with it so far!

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#6 11-10-10 12:46:16

AndyLawton
Verified Member

Afternoon peeps,

Sat in on my 1st ID test this morning and was very pleased how it all went my student had a good pass. The ID was no different to what I expected ( attended 2 seminars hosted by SE ) and how I had prepared my student for his test, in a nut shell it's all about MSPSL and nothing else. I dont do test routes but was pleased that in the 1hr before test we did 3/4 of the ID on a route I simply made up as I went along, my student now thinks I'm some king of mind reader or something.
I realy dont see all the fuss looking forward to my 3 other test that are booked in for this week.

Andy
PS, the realy strange thing was the silence from the examiner, after being used to hearing directions all the time it realy must be a strange thing for them to just sit and watch without giving directions.

Turnover is vanity   -    Profit is sanity

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 11-10-10 21:28:29

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Peter_Carey wrote:

One was actually told that the road turned sharply to the right!! (The road appears to go straight ahead and almost EVERYONE attempts to go straight on when first shown it. Yes it is a quirk that I do warn clients of it)

We call these "modified T-intersections" down here (the word junction is falling into disuse), there are a few of them in Darwin.
Even though none of them are on test routes I always take a learner through them, usually when they are reasonably advanced to check that they are actually "reading" road markings.
Not a single student that I've had from other schools have handled these correctly.

Last edited by Zipper (31-01-12 12:34:13)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#8 12-10-10 14:53:20

Peter_Cary
Verified Member
Website

Hi Zipper,

We seem to have quite a few of them around me, there is this lovely one

Click here

Where EVERYONE reads the No Through Road as being to the right!!

If you move along the road you will see the second sign almost at the NO ENTRY painted on the road, the view from Google Street view car is far better being 12@ feet from the ground.

Click here

Second sign JUST coming into view in this picture but imagine you are doing 60 m.p.h towards it will you notice it and most have not noticed the words painted on the road!!!

If you continue up the road you will find yourself going THE WRONG WAY up the A303.  yikes yikes yikes, I really feel the council should erect plastic guttering halfway across the road with chevrons painted on it to make drivers much more aware of the danger!!

Fortunately or should that be unfortunately? The junction is too far away to be included on test routes.  big_smile

Sorry for taking the thread off subject

#9 31-01-12 11:08:46

jeffdehn

I enjoyed my first independent drive. It was amazing. I want to go for more.  wink

#10 31-01-12 19:45:06

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

On test, fine, on a lesson I would have said fine too, until today.

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#11 31-01-12 21:44:26

MAZ
Verified Member

Lily-Anne wrote:

On test, fine, on a lesson I would have said fine too, until today.

LA

??????

Maz.

#12 31-01-12 22:49:34

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

My pupil decided that vague was the order of the day. In fact she bought new meaning to the word. I usually ask her to drive to ... or follow signs for ... not today, nope I was talking a different language, in fact I wonder if it was just a bad dream  hmm

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

Board footer