You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 03-10-10 20:50:32

johnnyfr
Verified Member
Website

First ID test?

Who's got the first ID test tomorrow?

I'm on at 12.50pm and I'm almost bleep myself with excitement.  big_smile
I'm also sitting in, of course, and will be reporting back at some point.

Anyone on earlier???

DSA ADI (car) -- DSA Fleet Driver Trainer [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk/grade6adi.php]Grade 6[/URL] -- ORDIT Registered Trainer
Level 4 PTLLS, Rospa Gold, NVQ Level 3 Driving Instruction, A1 Assessors Award, [URL=http://www.brake.org.uk]Brake[/URL] Road Safety Ambassador, DIA Taxi Trainer.
Visit us for [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk]Driving Lessons[/URL] or [URL=http://www.accufleet.co.uk]Fleet Driver Training[/URL]

03-10-10 20:50:32

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: First ID test?

#2 03-10-10 20:53:13

Target
Verified Member
Website

21st October 2010 big_smile

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#3 03-10-10 21:44:37

chrisbakeradi
Verified Member
Website

8:40am I've also asked if i can sit in!!

Chris

#4 04-10-10 06:48:13

may
Verified Member

I've one today at 2.10, looking forward to it but feel sorry for my pupil as have heard so much not sure what is happening so shes prepared for anything.

#5 04-10-10 07:43:40

Target
Verified Member
Website

the radio here is really putting a bad picture on it. Test gets more difficult all that stuff. With the underground strike AGAIN i cannot see it begini a good day for london tests.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#6 04-10-10 08:46:57

ECPC
Verified Member
Website

The BBC had a run of reports this morning stating that it was the biggest shake up of the driving test for years.
They then completely misrepresented the ID by stating it was introduced to test the candidates navigational ability?
I thought it was to test that the candidate could drive safely independently?
And the camera held on to the dashboard by a bit of Duct tape didn't look particularly safe!

#7 04-10-10 09:26:47

Lynne
Verified Member

Yes EC and then the report said  they said they couldn't fail the ID part if they went the wrong way.   Surely they should have said that providing they do everything correctly they couldn't fail the ID part.

I liked the way the DE said to the reporter words along the lines of 'you're a fairly safe driver'.

Hmmmmmm.. she wouldn't have passed then.  wink

#8 04-10-10 09:29:44

AK
Verified Member

Had a 9.07 who passed with 2 d/f's. Good one to start with as he was very competent and level headed. Ex pulled him over after about 10 minutes, shortly after having done a TIR then got him to follow signs for a village just outside town which is on a main road and well signed.

In the village he was then asked to follow signs for another village (sign was just round a corner so ex advised him of this). Then follow signs back to town. Pupil found it very straightforward and was happy to only have one manoeuvre. Got another this afternoon will report back on that later.   

#9 04-10-10 09:30:23

markADI
Verified Member

My first one was 8.10 this morning at Guildford. First out & first back. ID element was to follow road signs, DE changed destination in plenty of time where necessary so no problems I saw apart from one sign was obscured by a tree blowing in the wind but DE saw this and just confirmed direction. 

My second today is 1.30 at Crawley - which will be interesting - then I have four more this week at Tolworth. Am sitting in on all of them so I am hoping to see how much variance there is between DE's at different TC's.

#10 04-10-10 13:46:53

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Had my first one this morning at 08.20. Pupil didn't want me in the back so unable to see how it went.

She came back with a pass (4df's). She told me the ID part was easier than she expected, she was shown a diagram, which made no sense to her but went where she thought was correct. Also had a couple of goes at trying to repeat back to the ex the directions of where she had to go. The ex had to confirm one exit at a roundabout but otherwise a good drive by her.

She felt alot better knowing that there was only one manoeuvre to do, so settled her nerves a bit.

All I can say is, 100% pass rate, with the new driving test. yippeeeeeee!!!!!

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

#11 04-10-10 16:16:18

AK
Verified Member

The one I had this afternoon failed but nothing to do with ID, in fact the ex said she coped with that very well. Asked to pull over 3 times so directions could be given, two sets of 3 and one of 4 which was basically round a couple of housing estates and then onto a main road to a village where ex said he would give the directions again. Despite the fail she also found it straightforward.

#12 04-10-10 19:12:42

adi
Verified Member
Website

I had one this morning. Pulled up, explained that he would like candidate to turn left at the end of the road and then follow signs to a destination.
So candidate turns left, approaches a roundabout, no sign at all on the approach smile so DE says turn left.
Next roundabout ok.
Next roundabout, sign half covered with a  bush, candidate identified exit from previous knowledge!
Next roundabout (on a D/C) sign completely obscured by a bush and only half readable by the time we reached the second count-down-marker! again candidate luckily knew the road.
Next two roundabouts okay.

I cant see any problem with this ID and i have prepared pupils more than enough but the problem is the signs being obscured so much. If the candidate had approached two of the roundabouts in the wrong lane we would have been sent miles off route (one exit would mean a 15 mile drive to reach the next roundabout to turn around!) unless of course the pupil was savvy enough to full circle the roundabout and get back on course!

#13 04-10-10 20:23:55

Lynne
Verified Member

I asked this question about obscured signs when we had our 'surgery' at the TC.   We were told that if signs were covered by bushes etc., the DE would clarify direction.  Suggest you tell TC manager of the hiccup but you'd think the DE would see it wasn't clear wouldn't you.    roll

#14 05-10-10 14:51:38

empyell
Verified Member

Had another one today - saw an interesting side-effect of ID.

A few minutes past completing the ID stage, we were heading back towards the TC, and we went along a road with three roundabouts on it. As we approach the first of the three, ex says nothing so the student follows the road ahead as taught/told in the preamble prior to the test. I just figured it was intentional - as they say, no direction means follow the road ahead.
Then at the second and third of the three, and at every roundabout/mini-roundabout after that (regardless of whether we're going ahead, left or right), the ex gives him a direction with the exit number as, when I thought about it, he'd been doing all the way through.
Got back, ex confesses that he'd forgotten to give the direction as he was using that same road on ID on a test earlier today. All had a bit of a laugh about it (student passed, so very relaxed/relieved atmosphere in car), and as we chatted about it told us there's quite a few roads that are used for ID as well as regular driving, so I expect there could be a bit of this going on until they get used to the routes.

#15 05-10-10 16:54:21

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Had a pupil on test today, she didn't want me to sit in.  Passed with 2 driver faults - 1 for mirrors slowing down, the other for SMTM because she pointed to the windscreen washer bottle rather than the break fluid   roll

Anyway, I drove the long way back to her house so I could quiz here about the independent part..... 

Ex pulled her over, said it was indi-time, she had to turn right and follow signs for city center.  Off she went, turned right, 400 yards down the road is a roundabout, city center signposted left.  She turned left, onto a nsl dual for about a mile, was then told to follow signs for whitburn, so stayed in left lane and went ahead at t/l for whitburn.  Then told to follow signs for South Shields, so she turned left, and that was the end of indi-time  yikes

So instead of ex saying "Next road on the right..... turn left, 1st exit towards city center..... follow the road ahead for Whitburn......... turn left towards South Shields" as they used to, we now have

"turn right then follow signs for city center..... follow sign for Whitburn........follow signs for South Shields"

Why exactly is everybody panicking? ?  lol

Anyways, if you use Sunderland test center, you now know one of the independent roues lol

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#16 05-10-10 20:17:07

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I've got 2 next week, quite excited about it all!  big_smile

Isn't it odd the things driving instructors get excited about, my wife says I'm very sad. I remember when the road markings got repainted on Nuthall Island (Nottingham) last year, it was the hot topic in the test waiting room for weeks between both instructors and examiners. All I want for Christmas this year is new road markings on Priory Island please Santa.

Anyone, I'll update on my ID experiences next week!

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#17 05-10-10 20:29:49

JustLightning
Verified Member
Website

No problems with ID on test this morning.  It was very straight forward, followed the verbal instructions and diagrams and then switched to following road signs. 

However, the examiner seemed determined to fail my candidate and did with 17 DFs!  He'd given her three before we'd even left the first road.  Now I'm not saying the faults did not take place - but they were so minor!  For example, she was asked to stop on the left - which she did no problems except that half the rear wheel was blocking a driveway.  DF - position normal stops.  She indicated a little late on a emerge right no one behind us) - DF signals timed.  She waited for a cyclist to pass before moving off - he was a way down the road - DF - undue hesitation (there was no one else on the road - so her waiting didn't effect anyone else).  DF for appropriate speed as she didn't quite get up to 40 - it was chucking it down with rain at the time.

I could go on - but I won't.  I did consider making a complaint.  But as I say the faults did take place, so we wouldn't have a leg to stand on.  I just felt the DE needed a fail to keep his stats in line with the average.  Rant over.

JL

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 05-10-10 20:47:40

looprevil
Verified Member

No problems with ID on test this morning.  It was very straight forward, followed the verbal instructions and diagrams and then switched to following road signs. 

However, the examiner seemed determined to fail my candidate and did with 17 DFs!  He'd given her three before we'd even left the first road.  Now I'm not saying the faults did not take place - but they were so minor!  For example, she was asked to stop on the left - which she did no problems except that half the rear wheel was blocking a driveway.  DF - position normal stops.  She indicated a little late on a emerge right no one behind us) - DF signals timed.  She waited for a cyclist to pass before moving off - he was a way down the road - DF - undue hesitation (there was no one else on the road - so her waiting didn't effect anyone else).  DF for appropriate speed as she didn't quite get up to 40 - it was chucking it down with rain at the time.

I could go on - but I won't.  I did consider making a complaint.  But as I say the faults did take place, so we wouldn't have a leg to stand on.  I just felt the DE needed a fail to keep his stats in line with the average.  Rant over.

JL

From the explanation of the faults you give they sound to me as if they have been correctly marked and weighted. Whether someone is there or not usually affects the level of marking or can be used to highlight to the driver where their driving was deviating from what was expected.

17 DF's although close to the current level of a pass would demonstrate to me some significant weakness that needs work on before the next test rather than taking the view that the DE was looking for a fail.

Not looking to offend you here JL just putting a different perspective on your post.

regards

Paddy

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

#19 06-10-10 04:44:07

tiber
Verified Member

Had a test at 840 monday. he got 1 df and the examiner joked with me that they abandoned the ID as my pupil missed his first turn . she is very strict but fair I was surprised how light hearted about the whole thing she was . got another test today hope that goes as good.

#20 06-10-10 07:58:31

Target
Verified Member
Website

Woh!

I hope I can post just like you guys with such a good result on my first ID. Thank heavens its one of my best pupils taking the test for the first time.

JL....I recall one of these tests in the past. The pupil from memory received 22 DF's ( i dont think there were any S's ).

I just remember moving off from the car parking space and something being marked. Mirrors!

Slit clip of a flat kerb near a very narrow bridge the car was moving about 3mph....Steering!

It just went on like that all through the test, it seemed like a training excercise.

I ripped the DL25 up for her afterwards as it was the only course of action required big_smile :police:

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#21 06-10-10 11:35:18

pdw1977
Website

Just had my 1st one. 10.14 at Tunbridge Wells TC. Pupil passed 1st time with 2 DF. I asked her about the ID and she said it was a nothing to worry about at all. She went the wong way at a crossroads (safely), then realised, mentioned it to the examiner who just said it didn't matter. he just got her back on route and then told her to continue to follow the original road signs for a couple more mins.

Paul

Still a Newbie so be nice!!

www.pwdriving.com

#22 06-10-10 12:00:09

JustLightning
Verified Member
Website

Thanks TA - never had such a petty minded examiner before.  Guess he got out of the wrong side of bed.

JL

#23 07-10-10 21:12:50

Stevomill

Had my first ID yesterday, sat in the back.  This was the first time I'd seen this examiner, and he seemed very good, talked a bit, but not too much and was good at putting pupil at ease.  This was her second test, 3 serious 3 minors on last one.

Anyway after 10 mins we did the left reverse, then pulled up in the next street and he said it was time for id, got his a4 diagram out and then explained end of this road (for anyone in Bournemouth this was muscliffe ln, facing castle lane west), turn left, then straight ahead at the roundabout, then next road on the right.  He also said to watch out for the last road as it was just after the roundabout.  He then asked her to repeat it back and was quite good about making sure she understood.  That part went fine, so we pulled up (in uplands road) and he gave her the next instructions and showed her the diagram, turn left at the end of this road, go right second exit at the roundabout then straight ahead at traffic lights (charminster high st.)  He then said it was back to normal. 

Pupil passed with 4 minors (3 of which i'd spotted).  She said that the ID part made it so much easier as once the manoeuvre was over with, she knew she could do the rest of it.  From what I saw most pupils will be able to handle that fine, I wonder if it'll put the pass rates up.  Be interesting to know if any1 feels the same, plus if that's the case how the dsa/puplic would react to a higher pass rate.  Obviously there are bound to be some more difficult ones, but we'll see. 

#24 21-10-10 21:19:23

Target
Verified Member
Website

Well my first ID failed, and it all went to pot during ID.

Was doing fine. Had a nightmare of buses getting in the way at the start of the test and some self inflicked faults like staying in the right hand lane and not keeping left......

Ex started id and asked to follow signs. He missed some signs but when the ex gave him instructions to bring him back on route he drove straight into a roundabout wihtout looking. After that it just went to pot. 9 DF and 3's. All in all it was an ok drive and have no problems putting him in again very soon.

I did the same route with another pupil, but never mentioned it was anything to do with a test.....

Yes, you guessed it. This pupil also missed the same signs and drove straight past. They are easy to see and on both sides of the road. She also had problems at the roundabout but then most of the pupils do here. Its like a Splogabout, its certainly not round.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#25 22-10-10 21:43:52

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Had 4 tests now on ID 3 b+e and 1 car, all very positive, all passed, I was worried about the car one as she was pulled up as soon as she got out of the gates of the tc, I thought something was wrong, but no she was just being showed a diagram to go left at the end of the road, ahead at the mini roundabout and left at the next one, a distance of about a mile and a half, the trailer candidates have all reported back how easy it was, following signs for certain destinations and one being shown a diagram.  I feel that it is an easier test than previously for the cars now there is only one manoeuvre, it seems to take the pressure off and I haven't seen a bay park happening in two weeks lol 

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

Board footer